T.O. Moving North ?

smerchly

As the big cities population explodes and traffic becomes gridlocked , people move outside of the big cities and more subdivisions and high rise condos are built in outlying areas .They move to smaller cities like Hamilton , Niagara , or north to the Barrie  , Orillia areas . In this case they are going to Innisville , close to Lake Simcoe to build 7000 new homes . 

The people in the Lake Simcoe area are worried about the health of the lake with street runoff , etc. Ice hut operators are concerned about the fishery and their lively hood . People in the new burbs will take commuter trains into T.O. to their jobs . Interesting read ......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/residents-of-idyllic-small-town-on-lake-simcoe-worried-about-huge-high-rise-condo-project-1.5991554

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

This has been going on for over 20 years now. Gridlock on the 400 is worse than the QEW,

After I retired we lived near Midland for 8 years.  At first our kids all liked bringing their families up to visit because we were just a 10 minute walk to the neighbourhood beach, but by 2007 they didn’t want to come up much because the 400 traffic was so bad every weekend!!

I still remember in 2008 that the 400 highway was listed as the highest volume traffic highway in North America, even outdoing the 12-lane Los Angeles freeway!!

22 hours ago, genec said:

After I retired we lived near Midland for 8 years.  At first our kids all liked bringing their families up to visit because we were just a 10 minute walk to the neighbourhood beach, but by 2007 they didn’t want to come up much because the 400 traffic was so bad every weekend!!

I still remember in 2008 that the 400 highway was listed as the highest volume traffic highway in North America, even outdoing the 12-lane Los Angeles freeway!!

I was a Muskoka boy, even after my family located itself in Toronto when I was a kid.  I've watched the continuous growth and sprawl along that corridor for 50 years. Going up to stay with my uncle on weekends before there was a 400 extension.  Used to be there was nothing north of Steeles. Maple was a raceway, motel and airstrip. Now it is non-stop subdivision up to Hwy 9. In 71 there were 27000 in Barrie, currently sitting now at 153000. Hwy 11  is just one giant stretched subdivision artery with no gap between towns. if it wasn't for the road signs, you would think you were still in Toronto.

Millions of new people coming to live in T.O. every year  ....so we need to build more roads , hospitals , sewer systems , condos , houses , malls , etc etc . The more people , the more tax revenue ....and votes for JT .  ( Joe  Trump )   :rolleyes:

Our fishing holes will be busier ......of course !

Yesterday , A Honda SUV pulled in and an elderly east Indian man walked over to me and said he was from Toronto ,  and asked me what kind of fish are in there . I said just some cat fish and some carp ....He asked me if he needed a license to fish here . I asked how old he is ....78 he said ...No license needed ! Then he asked if there's any bass and crappies in there ...  He was very  polite , thanked me and went on his way .  It seems there are a lot of Toronto people coming to Niagara to live ......and fish .

Then a Canuck guy pulls in , gets out of his pickup , chats a minute and says "would you like a beer" ?  

As you see .....going "fishing"  has many other bonuses ,  like watching mother natures wildlife and wild ones ......:Gonefishing:

• 3 weeks later...

Gov't sending 100,000 immigrants to TO every year and this combined with the inner city flight of people that are tele commuting will only add more pressure to rural Niagara.  

Just look at the QEW on a Saturday (Niagara bound)........insanely busy.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:48 AM, 410001661 said:

Gov't sending 100,000 immigrants to TO every year and this combined with the inner city flight of people that are tele commuting will only add more pressure to rural Niagara.  

Just look at the QEW on a Saturday (Niagara bound)........insanely busy.

May be a racist statement but " will the last Canadian out of Toronto please lock the door behind them  " has some truth in it.