Salmon Still In The 12?

jordanl

went to the 12 on Tuesday. attempted to fish it for the first time. tried with a 3 way swivel with a 3 inch twister since smerch has been posting how effective it is for pike, well it got me nothing and that was semi expected. hung up alot and lost a few bell sinkers. but i will try again sooner or later, maybe on a colder day with abit more hardware in my pocket. after a bit of walking the path i find a spot with cement stairs going to the waters edge and a few shopping carts in the water. it looked like it was right across from where smerch posted pics of himself catching cats, but could be wrong. anyways when i looked down at the water all i see is 2 fish' corpses hanging around in the water. the one had air in part of ones of its organs so it was floating, they both looked as if they were cut for there fillet, but the fillets were dropped in the water right beside them, then i looked around and i see what looked to me like salmon eggs in a pile right at the waters edge. i thought to myself there is no chance it was a salmon due to the fact that the water is so warm, but then again you never know... so now i leave it to the more educated people of the nfn site. what the heck is this? is it possible that there are still salmon in the 12?

562885_10151930380620468_2078525231_n.jpg

532082_10151930380975468_2054533414_n.jpg

532234_10151930381440468_578937553_n.jpg

sorry that the pics arnt to great, but i was to lazy to climb down and get right into it. and if you dont believe me go check it out yourself im sure its still there.

July-‎17-‎12, ‏‎9:23:15 AM this is the exact date and time.

thats what im saying man. it makes no sense to me as they are cold water fish.... maybe there is a sorce of cold water at the bottom and some lucky dude just happened to get two?... i dont know..

What's next strugeon in the 12?!

Fish can be very addaptive but this seems like a miracle. I read it used to be stocked with salmon and bows, but they had an elevator to the lake and back. But it's not there anymore. This means they are surviving without access to lake O. Makes you think just how warm is the 12 really?

yeah, this seems like its so good to be true... and yes, i heard it used to be stocked and about the ladder, but i think that was before the power station was put in? i could be wrong. i have no idea how it survived though.. i dont know how deep the 12 is, but i assume they are hugging the absolute bottom if they are staying there. i just dont really know what to think bout it..

Guest live2fish85

The one is a steelhead. You can tell by the mouth. There are probably some resident bows and maybe browns in there. Could be a fish tossed there be a fisherman as well.

I think the one is a bow... maybe got stuck in there after the spring spawning season. I have seen trout in smaller rivers into June... they get their wires crossed I guess. They look a bit large for resient fish but I could be wrong...

Those are trout, not salmon. The tail is always a dead giveaway for salmonids, not the head.

Some loogan lucked into a hole with a pair of steelhead still in it and halfway through he couldn't be bothered with the hassle of dealing with the fish it looks like. Too bad.

Not exactly freshly caught either.

Somebody might have dumped the carcasses there, but then why leave the fillets if you've already gone through the trouble of carting them around.

Heh there was a guy that lives in Grimsby that went out to Erie for a day, then as a joke he dumped his half dozen pickeral remains by the boat ramp and quietly giggled to himself when rumours about a secret honey hole for walleye started circulating.

The twelve is very deep in some areas. My father has lived along the 12 since the 40's and he tells me when he was a kid they drained it completely for a brief period. He told me of the depth of different areas, can remember exactly what he said for depth, but I do remember thinking that it was remarkably deep.

Those are just fish that were dumped after being caught in the open lake. Somebody caught them trolling, cleaned them, didn't like the looks of them or let them get warm in the cooler, and tossed the remains in an area where tossing guts would just add to the wildlife. See it all the time. Probably someone who just lives near the 12.

Down here on Erie you see walleye guts, fillets, and skins turn up in pretty much every local ditch.

There are rainbows & or browns in the 12 .....saw one dying last year , looked damaged in the top jaw area . The guy might know a spot where the trout like the bottom and get a good supply of minnows to feed on .It could be he saw some worms in the flesh & threw it all away ? I would like to know the story behind this ....I will quiz people who I find fishing the 12 & see if any of them have caught trout lately .

i agree with Kevin,if you keep a lake o fish without a big cooler full of ice they will turn bad faster then you might expect.

i agree with Kevin,if you keep a lake o fish without a big cooler full of ice they will turn bad faster then you might expect.

That's a good possibility . There is an easy access by car to the 12 at Glendale . I've seen garbage dumped there very often . I have only seen the shopping carts on the west side where I saw the lazy boy chair last week .

I'm thinking that these fish were caught in the lake with good intentions to make it home to the table, but when the person was cleaning them they probably figured the meat was bad, I have been reading about some type of white worm that fish get, especialy in warmer water..So the only options are put them in the green bin (like Dan mentioned) or bring them down to the water and at least let the turtles, racoons, fish, and other wild life benifit from it....

just a thought...

Cam

Archived