Cook Your Catch

jwl

Well all this talk here and there and the pics of dinner that look so good..I thought I would start a thread to see if any one wants to share some of thier favorite recipes.

FISH CROQUETTES

you will need: approx 2lbs of your favorite fish...skinned, deboned and chunked

1 can cream of celery soup

1 cup of whipping cream

1 cup flour

2 eggs

package of clear unflavored gelatin(aspic)

1 tbsp butter (veg oil or margarine will do)

1 1/2 cups bread crumbs

to prepare: in an appropriate sized pot, melt the butter..then add the chunked fish..cook untill it starts to flake apart..then add the can of cream of celery soup..stir until all mixed together.turn down to low..then slowly add the cream..( if you add the cream too fast to hot items you are cooking it will separate)...stir until all is well blended...then add the gelatin powder( follow the directions on the pack by guessing the amount of liquid you have in the pot)..add the powder slowly then if you find it is starting to thicken up before you have added the called for amount..that will be fine...after that is all mixed together..pour the mixture into a rectangular cake pan lined with waxed paper..place in the fridge too cool...what you should have after it is cool is what would be compared to....fish jelly.....after it is all set...cut into even rectangular pieces...then put the flour in an appropriate sized bowl...in another bowl..add a little milk to the 2 eggs..and another bowl the bread crumbs...coat the peices in flour...then dip into the eggwash...then coat with bread crumbs...then put back into the egg wash..then bread crumbs again...when done place back in the fridge to get cold again....after that you deepfry in pre heated oil.until golden brown...or if you don't like to deep fry your food then you can bake in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes turning after 10 minut3es to evenly cook both sides..

sounds like alot of work but it is not that bad :Gonefishing: and great thing to make to impress guests with that enjoy eating fish...when you cut into it to eat it ..they will wonder how the heck you got the sauce in the middle...turns out as a nice creamy consitancy in side..if you like you can substitute the celey soup..for cream of mushroom..cream of broccolli...or broc/cheddar to suit your individual tastes.

Well enjoy :)

well ok here is another one..a little simpler but will still have your company believing you are a regular gourmet

SALMON WELLINGTON

you will need: 4 oz boneless, skinless salmon fillet( according to how many you want to cook)

1 package fresh mushrooms( chopped)

1 package of premade puff pastry sheets ( should be able to find at the grocery store..frozen is ok)

1 package hollandaise sauce mix

1 bunch green onions(chopped)

1 tbsp butter

2 egg yolks

1 oz red wine ( the cook can have the rest of the bottle :Gonefishing: )

to prepare: in a frying pan..melt the butter..add the chopped mushrooms and onions..cook until soft, add the wine , then place in a food-processor and grind into a paste ....in another pot..follow the directions accordingly on the hollandaise sauce...then layout the sheets of puff pastry( if you buy frozen..make sure they are pre thawed)..cut into peices big enough to wrap once all the way around your fillets....place your fillet at one end...then top with a good spoonfull of the mushroom mixture..then roll to wrap the fillet..place on a non stick baking sheet so the seem is on the bottom...with a fork , poke a couple small holes in the top of the pastry...then brush the top with some of the egg yolk...place in a 350 degree oven and bake until pastry rises and turns golden brown ( judge by the cooking time from the box of puff pastry)...served topped with the hollandaise sauce.

This is a good recipe because you can make it according to how ever many serving you want..and since I have been seeing a few of 's posts on here and some nice catches of the day, I thought maybe some of you guys might enjoy a few ways to cook some of the salmon you have been keeping, and really this one is pretty simple yet sophistimicated :)

Here's a Recipe I like to Call , Baked Pan Fish , Haldimand Style.

Crappie , Bluegill , Rockbass or similar are excellent cooked this way, Perch too I suppose. Its especially convernient when cooking a shorelunch where you have minimal supplies, or no supplies at all for that matter.

you need to Gut and descale the fish, ( use a knife, scaler or a sharp rock to descale the fish )

Then you take each fish, and pack it in clay, I call this recipe " Haldimand style" , because in my home township of Haldimand ( caledonia area ), the ground is 90% Clay.

so the clay you just moisten it with water till its thick, thicker then playdough. , pack the fish in it tightly.

and toss that brick of clay into the fire.

When they clay Cracks open.. the fish is done. peel the clay off, the skin comes off with the clay and you have access to all the good meat.

really great for when your roughing it, or perhapse you get stranded and need a way of cooking.

This is a very old way of cooking fish, but im still impressed with how perfectly the fish comes out when the cooking is done with.

aww come on Doc...this is a fishing forum..you should be able to read up on how to catch em :Gonefishing:

Well for any one who liked any of my last recipe ideas...here is another episode of the :Fillet Show

Blackened Panfried Catfish with Cajun Rice

you will need:1or2 6oz boneless skinless catfish fillets per person ( or any fish of preference will work)

2 tbsp butter

1 tbsp veg oil

pinch of oregano

1 tablespoon black pepper

1/2 cup flour

1 tbsp paprika

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp salt

for rice you will need : 1 can stewed tomatoes

1 bunch green onions(chopped)

1/2 a red pepper (chopped)

1/2 green pepper(chopped)

1 tbsp chilli powder

1 1/2 cups instant rice.

to prepare:heat the butter and oil in an appropriate sized skillet (cast iron frypan works best)

mix all the dry ingredients together..and liberally coat each fillet ..place in heated pan..cook for around 6 minutes flip over and continue to cook for another 6 minutes..for a little extra zip, just before you remove the fish from the pan..add a couple dashes of your favorite hot sauce to the bottom of the pan..this will sizzle and smoke..giving your fish that extra zing for those who like it hot.

to prepare the rice....drain the juice from the stewed tomatoes into a measuring cup....you need 1 1/2 cups of liquid to cook the rice in..so if you have less than 1 1/2 cups of juice from the can of tomatoes just add water untill you have enough liquid...break up the tomatoes..add to medium sized pot....pour in the 1 1/2 cups of juice from the tomatoes...stir in the rice..peppers, onion and chilli powder..cove..heat on high untill brought to a boil..let boil for about 1 minute..keep covered and remove from heat for 5 minutes..open the lid...done..it basically takes care of it self while you are cooking the fish.

and like I said this recipe will work for any of your favorite fish

aww come on Doc...this is a fishing forum..you should be able to read up on how to catch em :Gonefishing:

I consider myself to be the Don Cherry of fishing in Niagara. I can tell you how and where, I just can't seem to do it myself.

well for any one who may be interested here is another

Fish Chowder

you will need; a few nice fillets of your favorite fish, deboned, skinned and cut into small cubes

1 medium sized onion (diced)

8-10 medium sized potatoes (peeled and diced)

4 carrots(peeled and diced)

4 stalked of celery (diced)

4 slices of bacon (copped small)

2 cubes vegetable boullion

1 tsp tummeric

1 cup flour

1 cup butter or margarine

to prepare: in a good sized soup pot..add the chopped bacon..when that starts to cook, add all the diced vegetables, saute untill the onions and celery start to become soft...then fill about 3/4 of the pot with water...bring to a boil and add the boullion cubes...boil untill the potatoes and carrots start to become soft...in the meantime..melt the butter in another small pot...then slowly add the flour untill you get a thick paste...slowly, a little at a time add the butter and flour mixture to the soup...stirring constantly with a whisk to try to aviod too many lumps...keep stirring it in until the soup starts to thicken..reduce the heat and kep stirring...cook for about 5 minutes after that..then add in the tummeric and finally the cubed fish...cook for approximately 10 more minutes...this will ensure that the fish..and the flour are cooked( as a general rule of thumb..when cooking with flour it takes about 10 minutes for the flour to cook and lose the "floury" taste)....then you are already to serve....you can garnish the soup with a little splash of whole cream in the middle and a sprig of fresh dill if you like.

This dish is a good way to serve up any panfish because you do not need to try to get big fillets out of it..you just need some skinnless boneless pieces...works great with any fish really.

For an extra twist you can also cook in 1-2 ounces of sambucca.little bit for thye chowder..little bit more for the chef :D ...and if you can find it you may also substitute the vegetable boullion for fish base..or use a large packet of potato and leek soup mix.

well hope you guys like some of my ideas so far

That chowder looks good .........A good chowder on a cold winter day is akin too a great bowl of chilli :lol: You could spice up the chowder a notch with a spice or two :lol: ....... JWL.......have you a favourite recipe for fish cakes ? When you have left over fish , they make a nice meal a day or two after ....

Guest Spiro

one of my fav's

aluminum foil on the bottom, make a "pan" shape out of it. Then get whatever veggies you have access to, tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers (hot or sweet), any fresh spices you have, just place it all in the pan you created then get another piece of foil and placec it on top. roll all sides together and make it air tight. You can cook many ways, I have cooked it in the oven, the BBQ and when at the cottage I have cooked it in the fire, cook for about 20 min and enjoy. works for any fish, any time. Veggies make a great sauce and it poaches the fish. I have made this many times with many different types of veggies, the key I think is tomatoes but experiment and enjoy!

mike

well here is a special request for Smerchly

Fish Cakes

a great way to use up any left over fish...or peices of fish left over from a cleaning "incident" :lol:

makes 8 fish cakes

you will need: 2 lbs fish of your choice(precooked and minced)

1 bunch green onions (chopped)

1/2 red pepper (finely chopped)

1 lemon

a couple sprigs of fresh dill (chopped)

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups bread crumbs

1/4 cup of flour

1 tbsp mayo

to prepare:..after the fish is cooled and minced( as Smerchly pointed out, great way to use up leftover fish), in a bowl mix in all the ingredients except the lemon....use a fine grater to make some zest from the lemon rind..stir into the mixture...(set the rest of the lemon aside for use in the tartar sauce recipe to follow)....after mixing all the ingredients together...form into equal sized patties...( it is ok if mixture seems a little wet still..they turn out great)...place onto a non stick baking sheet...bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for15-20 minutes...turning over half way through..baked to a nice golden brown colour.

Tartar Sauce:

you will need: 1 1/2 cups mayo or whipped salad dressing

juice from one lemon (left over from recipe above)

2 good sized dill pickles (finely chopped)

6 or so sweet gerkins (finely chopped)

a small piece of onion (chopped as fine as you can)

1 tbsp pickled capers (chopped)

couple dashes of worchestershire

couple dashes of tabasco

just mix all the ingredients together...simple as that..and serve with your favorite fish recipe

for those of you who enjoy seafood sauce with some of your fish try this one

you will need: 1/2 bottle of prepared chilli sauce

1 tbsp lemon juice(or lime juice)

about 1/2 jar of your favorite horseradish

about 1/2 tsp of course cracked black pepper

well that's it for another episode of..the Fillet Show :lol:

as a reply to Spiro's recipe...tomatoes are a great key to poaching fish like that..stewed tomatoes work great, they already have a few veggies and spices in them...also what makes a nice flavour that way is to add some chopped fennel( that licorice flavoured celey stuff :lol: )..you can also use parchment paper to tightly wrap the fish for baking in the oven, and to add again to Spiro's comment...this can be a great way to prepare fish because you can choose what ever vegetables you want to put over top of the fish..anything will work great....you can also add a splash of your favorite wine..beer..or spirits to the poaching liquid..make sure to add a few splashes into the cook as well :lol::lol:

well since it was on the top of my head..thought I would type out another one,

great for that tropical taste

Coconut Perch with Pineapple Salsa

you will need for fish: desired amount of perch fillets, deboned..skinned...and cut in half

1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

1 cup breadcrumbs

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1 cup flour

you will need for pineapple salsa: 1 can crushed pineapple (drained well)

1 jar red pepper jelly

1/4 red pepper (finely chopped)

to prepare fish:...add flour to a bowl...dredge the fillets in flour, in another bowl combine the egg and milk..mix well and dip fillets, in another bowl..combine the coconut and bread crumbs...liberally coat the fish..making sure to pack the coconut breading on there good....deepfry in pre heated oil untill golden brown.

to prepare salsa...simply mix the 3 ingredients together

for a good substitue for the pineapple salsa you can use store bought mango chutney

if you like coconut shrimp you will love this one..and hey..just use shrimp instead of fish and follow the steps above and voila..I just gave you the recipe for that too :lol:

One of my favorites

You need a walleye fillet preferably a 5-7#er

Clean well and season meat side with sea salt, pepper and mrs-dash seasoning

Get a charcoal BBQ nice and hot and make sure to oil well

Place meat side on grill without touching for about 10 minutes

Flip once and let cook another 5-7 minutes depending on size of fillet

Flake the meat off into a clean plate throwing away skin and whatever still sticks to the skin

Now this part is optional but i'd consider it to be KICK ASS

melt some butter a good chunk don't candy ass on cholesterol because you won't eat this ever day and don't forget a clove of garlic in with the butter.

You can either pour or dip I do both and sometimes squeeze a little lemon just because :lol:

If it looks like this then you will definetly be B) and it will cause you to :lol: the next time possible. Stop in if you get a chance I won't cook it but I'll help you catch it :lol:

bbq.jpg

I'll bite ! :Gonefishing: .........Thanks for those recipies jwl , and especially the fish cake one to me ! :D I worked with a "down homer" named John Glen from Sydney Mines and fished with him many times at the French River near Hartley Bay ......great guy he was .......He used to bring his fish cakes to work and would heat them up and share with me . They were half fish ( halibut) , and half potato ,with onion and salt & pepper ......and were great !!! I'll have to try your version .....save in my files . Even pike make a great meal for fish cakes because of the flakey meat . .....Here's a quick pike appetizer that I posted with a pic. a while back.....

Chunk up a pike....about 1" pieces....soak in a zipbag with zesty Italian dressing for 1-2 hrs. ....take out of bag let drain off in a collander , and wrap each piece with half a slice of bacon with a toothpic holding it on the fish . GRILL ! :D Turn over ,cook both sides......when bacon is done ...about 4-5 min.........dig in....... :D

that sounds pretty good smerchly..sort of like a twist on bacon wrapped scallops..ooo gourmet even..pike is one of the few fish i like to eat..basically..perch, pike, and walleye is it for me to eat

would you guys shtop it I'm drooling all over the keyboard :D Saved the recipes into my file and now that I've got some free time----time to experiment with some culinary delights :Gonefishing:

Don't forget you need to go fishing first ! :D .....and , with the bacon recipe , you can use many types of fish , even the ones from the freezer ! :D

jwl ......you don't like CRAPPIE ??? They are like giant walleye cheeks !!! :D

tried crappie before..used to be able to catch like 100 in a day pretty close to home..needless to say its not like that anymore..but I found the crappie...a little crappy :Gonefishing: ..everyone else liked it...to be honest I don't even really like eating fish...and if I do..it has to be my idea..I have to be in the mood for it or I won't really enjoy it..and it has to be boneless...if I bite into some bones..thats it for me..meal over :D, I am a wiz at cleaning them anyways so.. lucky for the fish I pretty much throw them all back...I will cook em up no prob..but will most likely have something else for dinner myself..not for lack of trying it all different ways...I only really like fish a couple of ways myself..but know tons of ways to prepeare it for sure...I know lots of good recipes for game too...mmmmmmmm! meat..well that's a different story I like all that, but I am glad to share a few recipe ideas..and hope that anyone who tries them out enjoys them as well :D

Take a cedar plank approx. 18 inches in length, soak in water for 1 hour

Take a fillet of carp, deboned, skinned, and lightly season.

Place fillet of carp on cedar plank in BBQ and cook for one hour or until fish flakes

Remove carp, and eat cedar plank.

Archived