collecting bait

joe

hi guys and gurls .... pauline and myself decided to go to a local creek today to net some shiners

for perching tomorrow - being that you cant find any bait shops with shiners this year ! twice now

we get there set up shop only to have these 2 old wimen walking by and telling us that we shouldnt

be doing THAT !!! we tried to be pleasant talking to them , explaining that we are only collecting

minnies for bait . not taking any sport fish with said net , net being standard minnow net .

thats when they DEMANDED to see our fishing lic.s , pauline showed them our lic.s and being that we

both are now using accessible parking permits that is our lic.s .we are told that they are going to go call

the cops. i say go ahead we are not doing anything illegal , that we are within our rights to do what we

are doing now im starting to get a little peeved about then and tell her to go hug a fricken tree someplace

else . and continue to net our shiners waiting for cops to arrive , which they never do of course

then she comes back for more :angry: im thinking this old bat just wont give up . says to us she called the

MNR and they told her it was illegal because we didnt have a lic. and we were dip netting minnows under a

bridge :angry2: now i start laughing HARDER AND HARDER . she called us both some real choice names

and waddled off home .

im just on a rant because of people that will do anything in their power to harrass fishermen anyway they can

to get their own way . you know you can buy fish -there is no reason to harm the fish in a stream you know

these same tree huggers walk right by all the garbage , that by the way we picked up and threw away :angry:

its happening more and more all the time when we go fishing

how do you handle peoples HARRASSMENT :angry:

I think the only thing you can do is always carry with you the papers that are required.

And if you are harassed by a "non-official" then I would treat them accordingly, by not being polite or submitting any papers to them.

Idiots and jerks come in all forms. Even old ladies.

Let them look embarrassed when they continue to phone in on legit anglers. :angry2:

Ya you get that occasionally in this sport, years ago had some woman come up to me at Port Dover and proceeded to go up one side of me and down the other telling me that I'm an animal abuser bla bla and how would you like a hook through your lips :angry2::angry::angry:

I just asked.. did you just have a perch dinner at Knecthel's??? How do you think it got on your plate?

Joe: probably some old bat with nothing better to do with their time.

the best part came when they started chucking rocks into the creek

so up i go to where they are standing , and this old @$$#$$@#$^%

started chucking them at me :angry::angry::angry: some people have

got some nerve :angry2:

HAHAHA packrat very funny bud :angry: we will be the ones with the nice

emerald shinners friday :P oh and tomorrow too! ;)

Don't feel bad . One fella at Dalrymple fires golfballs from his dock at anglers who fish too close. I'm just dying for a chance to get a photo of the dirty deed for the police.

Geeze Joe , too bad you didn't have an extra bucket with you to scoop up some water with a little extra mud , algea & slime to give the little lady a bath . Wait until her mouth is flapping to clean out her mouth :angry2: too ! :angry:

Joe you missed an important opportunity. Ya leave it to chilli to get enjoyment out of a situation like this but if your sure all your bases are covered, you have appropriate documentation and there are no restrictions on the said creek, then call the police! Yes call the police on them and asked to have them charged for interrupting your fishing. Did you get a plate #? That would shock the hell out of them :angry2:

No one is allowed to interfere with a hunter or angler while they are engaged in the harvest. It is illegal. That's why the protesters are getting charged for getting too close to the seal hunt. This compares in no way to the magnitude of the seal hunt but clearly their intent was not only to discourage you from carrying out your legal right to fish but the throwing of rocks at both you and your prey was not only preventing you from legally fishing but was an assault on yourselves.

This opportunity I hope does not present itself often but if it happens to me I WILL make an example of the old ladies. I will call the media and ask if they want an exciting story from the outdoors community. Joe don't get mad. There are all kinds of people with all kinds of beliefs and the law is what determines who's right. Not rocks and cursing. I hope this never happens again to you or anyone but please don't let an opportunity like this pass you by again.

If you find yourself under these same circumstances and do call police, give me a call and I'll alert the appropriate people to help you make some noise. Especially seeing as you don't have to work. This gives you an advantage over me. Or give the Hamilton Angling clubs a call and enjoy a beer while telling the story. Hopefully you have an OFAH affiliate in the area.

Dan

Guest UglyFish

Chilli, very good point u made. as for u joe... lol, i;m not sure what to say, its kinda funny. i would have started to throw rocks back though. :angry2: next time, if it happens again... tell them to go bother someone who is breaking the law.... or better yet, file a complaint to ur local MP or MPP and tell then to get more funding for the MNR so we have more CO's out there doin a proper job of policing and not some "environmentally friendly ppl" out there bothering us while we do somethin we love, with the respect for the fish and nature.

Guest fishstick

That's been the main problem with Canada the last 10-20 years....people have been getting away with having every little issue they have a complaint with, looked at and having things go their way even though it has been a certain way for the last 100 years.

Hope you're still with me on this one....

Whether it's beliefs or, being for or against one thing or another, the Government decides to let these whiners have their way.

Canada isn't what it used to be.

My advice Joe....tell them to go crawl under a rock in a polite fashion. And if there is rockthrowing involved, charge them with assault. Especially if you are enjoying yourself and abiding all laws.

Damn I hate whiners.... :angry2:

Guest Centre_pin Assassin

im not 100% sure on this but isn't there a law in not using minnows from one body of water in another. i know in the states we cant use lower niagara minnows in the upper niagara nor in lake erie. cause of some disease the minnows carrie...

chillie willie ... thanks for the input buddy , you make very good points :blush:

being that she was as old as the rocks that she chucked at us , i didnt want to

give the old girl a heart attack :angry2::P . just didnt want to create a bigger

problem . and yes everyone we do carry our papers with us every time we are out

also we check the regs whenever we are not sure about something .and this creek

that we harvest our minnows flows directly into our perch spot ...same body of water

as most of you know i have no problem with dealing with most people ,be that good

or bad . although this one threw me for a loop at that moment B):D

thanks for your support

joe and pauline

Guest UglyFish

i'm not sure if the issue is as much using minnows in bodies of water, as it is, releasing live minnows into a body of water. cause u can go to and tackle shop, and buy minnows... and use them wherever, and who knows where they all came from. i know the law states u cannot release live minnows into a body of water if they don;t already populate it, or even if they do, i;m not sure on that.

Guest canadadude

I ussually can scare anyone away from me who attempts to harress me while fish'in!!!! Once they get an earfull of the crap coming outta my mouth :P there more then happy to leave ;):(:P !! There is a time and a place for being polite but I don't put up with people harassing me while fishing ;)

Archived