Lake Gibson

shadow

Sat morning went out exploring lake gibson the best i could for i have never fished there befor. Landed my first pike of the fall. Not very big though using a whitr spinnerbait. Whereabouts does everyone fish around the lake. I came off pine street exit turned left to beaverdams and turn right. I found a pull off to the side of the road and thats were i landed the pike. Icould see an old red barn across from me and there was an old train bridge that was closed off beside me. Current was fast though.Anybody familiar with this area.

Nice going Shadow. My son and I went exploring and ended up at the exact same spot last Sunday. Not a whisper of a fish, of any kind, despite the fact we wandered all around the shores on both sides of the road and went up the walking path all the way to the weir. Did score a new box of worms never been touched which we brought home to feed Sid the snake, and came across an amazing assortment of CRAP-no other way to put it-garbage of all descriptions and to much for us to carry out. Sure there was the usual fishing paraphalia which we use to judge what kind of fishing to expect in a new area but there were also lots of stuff that can go in your average garbage can. Does the Niagara region not have regular curbside garbage collection that everyone has to drive it out to the countryside? And I thought Hamilton was bad.

Oh yeah-back to fishing. Nothing. Hada. Nil. Ziltch. Did track a few areas to re-visit but it made for a long, boring drive home.

Guest Rockfish

If u have a map, there are lots of spots around Gibson to check out, just have to park and pound the shoreline. Alot of people fish at Marlett's rd on both sides and there are spots off Decew rd and Merrittville Hwy, just have to try your luck to see what's biting that day.

Fishing is usually better when the water level is up (controlled by the Decew Hydro plant) and then there aren't so many weeds to deal with.

:rolleyes:

Guest canadadude
Nice going Shadow. My son and I went exploring and ended up at the exact same spot last Sunday. Not a whisper of a fish, of any kind, despite the fact we wandered all around the shores on both sides of the road and went up the walking path all the way to the weir. Did score a new box of worms never been touched which we brought home to feed Sid the snake, and came across an amazing assortment of CRAP-no other way to put it-garbage of all descriptions and to much for us to carry out. Sure there was the usual fishing paraphalia which we use to judge what kind of fishing to expect in a new area but there were also lots of stuff that can go in your average garbage can. Does the Niagara region not have regular curbside garbage collection that everyone has to drive it out to the countryside? And I thought Hamilton was bad.

Oh yeah-back to fishing. Nothing. Hada. Nil. Ziltch. Did track a few areas to re-visit but it made for a long, boring drive home.

Congrats Shadow........Ola the garbage in the area is due to the fact the dumps charge people an arm and a leg around here to use there facilities so in the last few years people just dump at any available spot!! It really is a shame but some people can't afford $50 to unload there crap so unfortunatly our urban park areas pay the the price!!! :rolleyes::blink:

Ya Dude , bad situation ! Gibson is a prime spot for dumpers ,just like parking lots are a great place to clean out the cars ashtray ......same people maybe ? I posted about the dump fees a while ago . They told me to dump wood ,ashes , bricks etc. in with the reg. bins! It should have went to the free compost/tree/stone area . and they dinged me plenty . I did all the work ,loading /unloading , busting my arse and then pay THEM ?? Never again.....We pay good taxes for city trucks to take garbage to the proper places .....We gather it up , separate , and tie in bundles , and take it to the curb . If I do a small drywall repair , or cut up some old rotten mini ties etc....I shouldn't have to cart them to the dump & pay for the privelege ! We will see more garbage on the roadsides and it will cost the city more money in the end to collect it .

Guest canadadude
Ya Dude , bad situation ! Gibson is a prime spot for dumpers ,just like parking lots are a great place to clean out the cars ashtray ......same people maybe ? I posted about the dump fees a while ago . They told me to dump wood ,ashes , bricks etc. in with the reg. bins! It should have went to the free compost/tree/stone area . and they dinged me plenty . I did all the work ,loading /unloading , busting my arse and then pay THEM ?? Never again.....We pay good taxes for city trucks to take garbage to the proper places .....We gather it up , separate , and tie in bundles , and take it to the curb . If I do a small drywall repair , or cut up some old rotten mini ties etc....I shouldn't have to cart them to the dump & pay for the privelege ! We will see more garbage on the roadsides and it will cost the city more money in the end to collect it .

The ole Walkers got it made not only did they make a fortune on the quarry and raping the enviroment, now they charge you an arm and a leg to fill up the stinking hole they made!!! Somtimes there is no justice :rolleyes::blink:

Rockfish,

Your comment about the hydro plant puts me in mind of one question we did have. WHere does that current come from that washes under the road there (by the red barn) It is a nasty current and there weren't any signs or other warnings about it. Usually they warn you about every little silly thing and then they fail to mention something like that. Is the current fiercer when the levels are high or low. The pond part on the other side is very deceiving with its still waters, until you get close to the bridge.

Guest Rockfish

The water flow comes from the Welland canal in Allanburg, not sure how it's controlled there but the water levels fluctuate with the water needs at the Hydro.

There is a funnelling effect at the bridges with the ponds emptying into each other and the current is stronger when the water is higher. I don't usually fish the fast water and think the waves are more noticible when the water is lower. The current is also pretty strong under the Merrittville hwy bridge and the Decew rd bridge.

I also would have thought that there would be signs around warning of water level changes but haven't seen any except for signs about not consuming the Carp. :rolleyes:

Thanks Rockfish. Now how about a question closer to home. Have you caught wind of the Harbour Commission's plans to close off access along Eastport Drive, in their words, completely, for 'security measures'. I assume you fish the pier but it appears that they plan on making that a thing of the past. The city spends millions on making the path system FOR more public access and spouts plans about turning the pier into a tourist attraction and the UNELECTED and notoriously dirty HHC steps up to take over everything. Don't know the details but I have already contacted my alderman (Merulla) to get more info.

Things just keep getting sillier and sillier.

Do you remember the civil servant strike a little while back? A group of protesters stopped ship traffic completely by occupying the bridge.

Also, during the standoff at Oka, ships captains had to cover the funnels with protective nets because the Mohawk were tossing stuff from the bridges.

Guest Rockfish

Ola, I haven't heard about closing the access to Eastport Dr. and I haven't fished the pier much in the last few yrs. I know they have been doing alot of work to build and pave the path along the lakeshore.

Bigugli was just telling me about a plan to fence off the whole Welland canal for "security measures".

Ola, I haven't heard about closing the access to Eastport Dr. and I haven't fished the pier much in the last few yrs. I know they have been doing alot of work to build and pave the path along the lakeshore.

Bigugli was just telling me about a plan to fence off the whole Welland canal for "security measures".

Homeland security, in the U.S., detailed a list of areas in Canada that did not meet their security standards. The Seaway is vital to American economic interest and they want it protected. The most basic measures were the fencing off of the Seaway and the installation of surveillance equipment. That was their minimum requirements.

Archived