Cleaning the duck boxes

Dan Andrews

Well every winter we go clean out the Duck nesting boxes for the Fort Erie Conservation Club. Just pop open the bottom, scrape the bird droppings and sawdust all over yourself, close the bottom back up and restuff it with wood shavings. Wish it were that easy.

Last year while opening a duck box I had a raccoon fall onto my shoulder. We find hyper squirrels and sleepy owls too. Most owls are screech owls but I think today's find was something different.

This video was taken at the clubhouse on Ott Rd in Stevensville. If you drive about 100 feet past the club the box is on your left. Please don't harass this owl but bring a pair of binoculars so you can see it warming up in the mid day sun.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yesterday we erected a brand new box for the friends of Fort Erie's Creeks on Petit Rd near the highway on Frenchman's Creek. These boxes are supposed to be for wood ducks but seeing as the owls like them, we hung this one high.

sawdust.jpg

It faces South in order to get as much mid day sun to warm the owl in the winter months. This also keeps the prevailing West wind from filling the box with sleet and rain. Facing the road isn't bad either because next fall when an owl moves in, it will make a great advertisement for the group who put it there.

myvolunteers.jpg

These were my volunteers today. Most of the volunteers these days are too old to climb a ladder so seeing as everyone else was busy, these guys got their shot. Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Well there are still many boxes to be cleaned in Fort Erie plus I have at least 6 new ones to hang. If anyone is interested in helping, just reply to this post and I will let you know when I'm heading out to do the rest.

Dan

Guest canadadude

Thats really cool Dan :rolleyes::P ......I use to blast alot of wood duck out in the fort erie area!!! I use to hunt different areas in the evening and would always come out with 3-4 woodduck :worthy: .....very tasty birds and the colours are spectactular, hope the population is still holding it's own very imperssive birds

Guest canadadude
Well every winter we go clean out the Duck nesting boxes for the Fort Erie Conservation Club. Just pop open the bottom, scrape the bird droppings and sawdust all over yourself, close the bottom back up and restuff it with wood shavings. Wish it were that easy.

Last year while opening a duck box I had a raccoon fall onto my shoulder. We find hyper squirrels and sleepy owls too. Most owls are screech owls but I think today's find was something different.

This video was taken at the clubhouse on Ott Rd in Stevensville. If you drive about 100 feet past the club the box is on your left. Please don't harass this owl but bring a pair of binoculars so you can see it warming up in the mid day sun.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yesterday we erected a brand new box for the friends of Fort Erie's Creeks on Petit Rd near the highway on Frenchman's Creek. These boxes are supposed to be for wood ducks but seeing as the owls like them, we hung this one high.

sawdust.jpg

It faces South in order to get as much mid day sun to warm the owl in the winter months. This also keeps the prevailing West wind from filling the box with sleet and rain. Facing the road isn't bad either because next fall when an owl moves in, it will make a great advertisement for the group who put it there.

myvolunteers.jpg

These were my volunteers today. Most of the volunteers these days are too old to climb a ladder so seeing as everyone else was busy, these guys got their shot. Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Well there are still many boxes to be cleaned in Fort Erie plus I have at least 6 new ones to hang. If anyone is interested in helping, just reply to this post and I will let you know when I'm heading out to do the rest.

Dan

I'll help Dan.....but I need a ride so if anyone from St Catharines is going out there PM me I'll be more then happy to help out the wood duckies!!! Let me know if anybody from our area is helping I'll get in touch with them and come out and give you dudes a hand

I will give ya a call Dan, I will help out no prob..but ya know my daughter is visiting me for a few days so I gotta work around that a little, i will see if she might be interested in helping out..or even just coming to check it out...I just asked her, she might want to go check it out, she loves nature and animals

Guest canadadude
I'll help Dan.....but I need a ride so if anyone from St Catharines is going out there PM me I'll be more then happy to help out the wood duckies!!! Let me know if anybody from our area is helping I'll get in touch with them and come out and give you dudes a hand

still interested Dan how about me an the ole man come out ;) ......I think the ole guy may have a walk in the bush left in him and I'm sure he can put the dude in that big van of his :dunno: ......hell he may even enjoy the company :P:lol::D

"Ole guy" ?? Are ya talkin bout me ? ...... I am still a pre- senior citizen so I think I can still climb the %#$@ out of a tree !!!! :blink: I'll check with Chilli to see if he has enough help & when he's going out again .I'm glad to see the boys are learning a lot about nature ! Good on ya Danny Boy ! :Gonefishing:

hey Dan,I think with this warm weather coming up a couple locations may have to wait on checking out the ice situation in some of the creek areas and hope some aren't knee deep in mud as well,let me know when you plan on going out again...and also it would have to be after Thursday for me to be able to go with you to the MNR office regarding our walleye stocking program this season,also in regards to all the info that was just submitted atyear end regarding the 2007 walleye stocking program, you can give them my contact info..email what ever in case they need any other info regarding this and you are not available :blink:

I'll never forget the time I was cleaning out a box and had an unhatched (rotten!) wood duck egg smash on my head. The smell was so bad that I puked my guts out over the side of the canoe! :lol:

Archived