how would you rate this winter????

packrat

Ok this is the "banana belt" so with that in mind doesnt really seem to have been that harsh a winter so far. No extended periods of below zero temps----precip above normal or near average. Even the river finally has a good flow to it.

Besides never mind what that furry critter says DQ in town opens tomorrow we'll be back to wearing shorts in no time.

well as far as winter goes...I like winter,and love fishing in the winter,the only beef I have with winter this year has been all the stupid harsh SW winds that have mucked up the mighty Niagara wayyy too much this year putting a big damper on my winter trout fishing season. Beside's that,some of this freezing rain storms can go away..makes for some crap driving conditions when travelling far for work

In general , this has been a mild winter in this area with less snow than usual . The ice has only reached about 6" at most and it should be 10" to 12" in the Niagara area . I actually ran the snowblower today to give it a run & use up some gas which is getting stale , but there hasn't been much call for snow blowers this winter :lol: .......Come on Ma Nature , lay some cold on us ! :P

I've almost forgotten what real winters feel like. The slop and slush is something we used to see end of March/ early April. Further north the winters aren't the same either. Used to run a sled a good 3-4 months, now your lucky if you can run the trails for 6 weeks.

I am not a winter person.

This sure beats the winter in the early 1990’s that held records for the most days below 20 C in Peterborough County where I lived. That was the winter that I was helping out the Toronto Wildlife Society with two huge cages built by them. One contained squirrels (8), the other raccoons (6). As much as I loved my part in the caring and rehabilitating of these fur-bearing animals I hated that winter. Squirrels eat at dawn (7:00am) coons at dusk (4:30). Their water froze solid each day within an hour. I also had to clean and replace bedding. The snow dropped so high that I had to shovel to each cage then again once in to allow the doors to open and close right. Dump the plastic water bins and stopped on them till they released the ice. Refill with fresh cold water. Check the critters and administer medication when needed.

These last two winters have been a walk-in-the-park for me. My car is outside in the elements and I walk my two dogs only twice a day during the winter. I have no complaints. Sure hope the next 16 years of winter remain the same because my one dog is only two years old. And I HATE WINTER.

Guest fish_finder

Fanggo won't like this, but personally, I've been loving it. Last fall was horrible, as we all know. The more snow we get, the more chance of recharging the aquifers that feed the streams we all love to fish. The Steelhead are still moving strong with the freeze and thaw effects we've been seeing. And more snow on the way over the next few days!!

So far this winter has been weak.

I remember when i was 10 years old and it was bloody cold and you could go to any lake and rivers and they would be frozzen over.

So far been to a few lakes and still see water not even frozen yet.

I guess next year we should be ready for another warm winter.

:Gonefishing:

Archived