Fall Wild Turkey Hunt a Go!

• 2 weeks later...

On the way home from the River today we saw a nice bunch of turkeys which were about 100 meters from the road near Stevensville . Two of the toms were doing a little jostling and their tails were fanned right out while they heckled each other.....I stopped the truck & we took a few pics. .....here's one...... :blink:

turkey.jpg

I'm against the Fall hunt just like I think the all day turkey hunting in the Spring is bad. It's all to make more money. A lot of people have this logic that too many hens is bad but I don't see why.

Well hopefully those in opposition commented on the EBR listing as well. It is important to get all angles and views in for consideration as there may be factors some of us never gave any thought to at all.

Myself I see a strong population and a fall hunt can always be canceled later. These birds have showed the ability to make a comeback and even survive a harsh winter like the current one. My comment included making the fall hunt a primitive weapons only hunt. Get in your 2 cents. I believe you have until the 31st so Hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get out your sling shot, a club and a recurve bow Dan....bag us up some dinner, I know a wicked recipe for wild turkey..well actually I know a bunch, but the one I have in mind can show ya a couple cool tricks with a sharp knife too :blink: and no! I am not taking about getting into a big bar fight after drinking too much bourbon either :worthy::worthy:

MMMmmm...

Are you trying to say something Rick , or is someone holding their hand over your mouth ? :worthy: Now, lets hear it .....GOBBLE , GOBBLE !! Yes, by all means gobble it all up .......fresh turkey with great stuffing , gravy , roasted potatoes , Yorkshire pudding , mixed veggies , and plumb pudding for dessert ! Don't forget the white wine ! A bud of mine gave me a slice of wild turkey (jake was his name), and , there's no comparison to the flavour of a domesticated turkey ! Mmmmmmmmm.................................m :worthy:

Hey Tony.......I recognized you right away in the Ont.Out of Doors Mag . They have some good reading on turkey hunting and a look at the pro's & cons of a fall hunt......which I'm sure you have already read . The wild turkey has so many colours , ,some the same as a pheasant , and some partridge like the tail ,but all around , one beautiful bird with an ugly head ! (like a vulture) :worthy: For those who didn't see the magazine , here is Tony with his prized Tom . ....and below a beautiful pic. of the wild turkey with all the colours fit for the fly fishermen ! :worthy:

tony-turkey.jpg

OOD%20Mag-turkey.JPG

Hey Tony.......I recognized you right away in the Ont.Out of Doors Mag . They have some good reading on turkey hunting and a look at the pro's & cons of a fall hunt......which I'm sure you have already read . The wild turkey has so many colours , ,some the same as a pheasant , and some partridge like the tail ,but all around , one beautiful bird with an ugly head ! (like a vulture) :) For those who didn't see the magazine , here is Tony with his prized Tom . ....and below a beautiful pic. of the wild turkey with all the colours fit for the fly fishermen ! :D

tony-turkey.jpg

OOD%20Mag-turkey.JPG

Smerchly you're a class act, thanks for noticing my picture in the April issue of OOD.

Now if i could .......fresh turkey with great stuffing , gravy , roasted potatoes , Yorkshire pudding , mixed veggies , and plumb pudding for dessert ! Don't forget the white wine ! A bud of mine gave me a slice of wild turkey (jake was his name), and , there's no comparison to the flavour of a domesticated turkey ! Mmmmmmmmm.................................m :rolleyes::worthy:

Please you have got to stop teasing us with these delectable and delicious turkey dinner menus.

I remember seeing the photo of that beautifully roasted bird you cooked last year. B)

T>Scavo B)

Work out in Port Colborne. Driving last night home after a school dance, I had to stop the car and let a Tom and two hens pass across highway 140. About half way between the end of the 406 and highway 3. I see lots of deer and wild turkeys along that route in the early fall and spring.

I would love to get into the hunt, but I have never been a hunter, dont even know where to start.

I have that issue on my desk right now. Just finished reading that article, wow how coincidental.

If you'd like to look into hunting visit the St Catharines Game and fish web site in my signature below and go to the links page.

There you will find a link to the OFAH site where you can book the wild turkey seminar in St Catharines on April 19th (if it isn't already full so hurry). I would suggest this as a starting point because education has to come first. You don't need a hunting license or even be a hunter to take and benefit from the seminar.

Another link on the G&F website would be firearms education school. In order to get your first hunting license you must take and pass a hunter education class. John Kelleway is one of about four or more instructors in the Niagara Area. All the instructors and their contact info can also be found on the OFAH website. There are a variety of courses including safe firearms handling which can be upgraded to restricted, archery hunting, and hunter safety.

I did the "one stop" course and was so glad I did that I signed up my 12 year old Son. You really do learn more from the experts and don't pick up the bad habits Fathers have been passing down through the generations. I'm headed out now to put up my blind and get my spring turkey tag. Hope to see you at the Outdoors Show tomorrow.

Dan

Archived