Rockfish

Smokin Joe

I was talking with my sister the other day and we got to talking about some of the fishing we used to do. This morning I recieved this pic in my e-mail.

Just another reminder to me that I have to get back home more often :lol: I figured I'd share it with everyone.

Kimsrockfish.jpg

Guest Rockfish

Hey Joe, cool "Rockfish", there are about 100 species of Rockfish in the ocean and tell your sis to watch out for the ones with the venomous spines. :lol::D

So that one is off the coast of Virginia Joe ?

Yeah Dave I haven't seen to many of the venomous ones in the chesepeake bay where we usually fish, which is where this one was caught.

Snoryder you are correct they are called a few different names. Striped Bass, Stripers, Rockfish, etc.,.,,. I've even heard some people call them Rock Bass.

Boy , that is an old picture Joe.....you look so thin there ! :lol: Isn't that you to the right of your sis ? Are these fish good eating ........they remind me of the silver bass we catch around here .

IC, I've fished for them once a few years ago in Rhode Island. I got lucky and my first day in the surf they were busting bait. It was awesome to see. Fish everywhere. Nothing huge, they were mostly schoolies, but I can't wait to do that again. All fish caught with my two handed fly rod. Sweet!!

Boy , that is an old picture Joe.....you look so thin there ! :D Isn't that you to the right of your sis ? Are these fish good eating ........they remind me of the silver bass we catch around here .

No Bill that's not me in the pic, I couldn't make the trip I had to stay here as my little one was born a few months later :dunno::D They are very good eating, enough so that people are willing to risk loosing their cars, boats, equipment and face a $10,000 fine for each fish not in the slot limit :o:o

I had the experience once of that type of fishing ..was of the coast of Boston, we fished for stripers and blues,I had a humungous fish on, it broke my line like butter....and that's one of the rods I still go muskie and pike fishing with today :dunno:

At that time the US dollar was about $1.50 to our dollar, and I heard that if you where out and a big tuna was caught, if you just had it by the lip, and it wasn't landed or beat up, there where Japanese ships on call that would rush over,inspect the catch, and if it wasn't "tarnished" they would pay upwards of $40/per lb for the tuna

Nice fish for sure Joe, good on her. , I fished Cheasapeake bay last summer and caught all sorts of species from Blues ,Pompano,flounder,stripers and the ugliest of all the Toadfish. Tons of fish around the abutments of the causeway. A gret day of fishing and will be doing it again this summer for sure when we visit our friends in Yorktown.

Archived