Holland report Part 2

jjcanoe

Part 2, Das Boot

Das Boot!

101_0534.jpg

Our ride for wreck fishing

101_0533.jpg

Heading out of the harbour only 40 more miles to go!

101_0535.jpg

This guy disturbed our fishing for a few minutes. It was about 350 meters long and kicked up about 3 meter waves

101_0536.jpg

Vertical jigging is the way to get these guys with live bait rigs (super sized ones again) or with jig and plastic minnows . (don't get snagged on the shipwrecks)

101_0540.jpg

really fun when you have 2 on at once.

101_0538.jpg

I ended up with 10 altogether best about 5lbs but there were some big ones caught and between the 12 guys on the boat we kept about 40kgs once they were all fileted.

Made for one giant fish fry on Tuesday!101_0542.jpg

Getting ready for the trip home

101_0562.jpg

What's a trip to Holland without a picture of a windmill! Here's where they keep them now.

101_0564.jpg

Anyone headed to Goderich to the Maitland R. heres what it looks like from 12kms up.

101_0568.jpg

Triton Charters

jjcanoe

Thanks for the report & pics JJ . The fish look like good eaters for sure ! I noticed a lot of sea weed -algea on the banks . We lose it here during the winter , maybe it's much milder there . The catamaran style boat looks very stable & roomy ....I could use that for a houseboat ! In the windmill pic., it looks like they are in the water . Today ,I struck up a conversation with a fine elderly gentleman at a small mall across the road from where Towers was .......after his third word......I knew he was Dutch ! :lol:

" If you ain't Dutch .......................you ain't much" :worthy:

PH the only thing you could fish for in freshwater was carp. Walleye and pike were closed. They grow big pike over there, all the ones I've seen in the magazines over there are impressive, The "big" carp they have in the mags didn't make an impressioon on me since I used to catch them that big or bigger at Duffern Islands when I was a kid. The guy in the tackle shop was really interested to hear that I fly fish for carp over here, and I gave him a few pointers on what we get em on down this way.

Smerch all the shore based pictures are taken at low tide, the algae on the rocks is just like the stufff down at the whirlpool at "low tide" down there. That boat was super stable in the 3-4' roller waves we had all day, and the twin 375hp motors kept us going at about 20 knots the whole way out and then back in. 40 miles each way!

jjcanoe

Good to hear they have closed seasons over there too. Is the walleye your referring to actually called Zander? In Poland there's a related species to our walleye that is called Zander, wondering if it's the same thing. Our walleye is Sander vitreus vitreus scientific name, and the one over there is Sander lucioperca so it's the same genus but different species. They look to be a bit larger over there too.

Are their seasons the same as ours? (open mid May?)

It's so great to see the young ones getting involved too

He's a real pro and he loves it he can't wait for bass season this year.

jjcanoe

Archived