Port D question

Guest krae

About 6 or 7 years ago, I was fishin Port D in mid January and saw a guy in a boat land a MONSTER walleye, he took a few quick photogs and let it go...

I hadn't really thought too much of it until now. I've caught thousands of trout there over the years but have never cought or seen anyone else catch an 'eye since that one. Was it a fluke? or is there a small population?

I'm envious and heard great things about the fraser and her sturgeon. when did you go and was it a charter?

9870[/snapback]

all the ports coming off lake ontario hold a population of Walleye. Many of them are Big.

Even Jordan Harbour has a few....it wouldn't surprise me if they were swimming around Hamilton Harbour.

Steve

You can be sure they are swimming around Hamilton Harbour. A number of Bay of Quinte breeders were introduced into the Harbour a few years ago. It appears the move has been a success. A number of fine walleyes have been taken yearly. People casting from shore at LaSalle boat club have landed 4-5 lb walleye near summer's end and into the fall. my son and i have been fortunate to land a number of extremely clean walleye casting shad raps in 9 feet of water!

Walleye numbers are on the increase throughout the western basin of L. Ontario and its inlets.

Good fishing :)

I went with Vic Carrao of STS Guiding in May 2001. www.guidebc.com.

Our guide was a good host. After the poor day of fishing we had (landed 1, lost another), he offered to take us out again the next day no charge, sadly, we had other plans. The time of year we went, is apparently known for larger fish but fewer numbers. I think it was early fall, we were told, that you can boat dozens of sturgeon the size of the one i'm holding in the pic.

I'm envious and heard great things about the fraser and her sturgeon. when did you go and was it a charter?

9870[/snapback]

Guest yo fish
I went with Vic Carrao of STS Guiding in May 2001. www.guidebc.com.

Our guide was a good host. After the poor day of fishing we had (landed 1, lost another), he offered to take us out again the next day no charge, sadly, we had other plans. The time of year we went, is apparently known for larger fish but fewer numbers. I think it was early fall, we were told, that you can boat dozens of sturgeon the size of the one i'm holding in the pic.

9892[/snapback]

At least you caught, congrats

although I'm not a huge fan of walleye fishing, it would definitley be a nice surprise to hook into a large one at port D (or any where for that matter) while fishin for trout. I was just having a conversation today with a guy at work about walleye and remembered seeing that big one at port D a few years back. made me think! thnx for the replies... i had no idea (other then the lower niagara) that walleye were available this end of lake O in fishable numbers.

You can be sure they are swimming around Hamilton Harbour. A number of Bay of Quinte breeders were introduced into the Harbour a few years ago. It appears the move has been a success. A number of fine walleyes have been taken yearly. People casting from shore at LaSalle boat club have landed 4-5 lb walleye near summer's end and into the fall. my son and i have been fortunate to land a number of extremely clean walleye casting shad raps in 9 feet of water!

I guess Hammy Bay is one place that walleye wouldn't be considered food, lol.

(unless you crazy!)

:blink:

:D Yeah Hamilton Harbour is 1 place where the Walleye, if caught are usually released too fight another day.

Here's an example of a typical Hamilton Harbour Walleye.

049687.jpg

The Old Timer was fishing for Sheepshead (late June) at Lasalle Park when he hooked this 'Eye on a Red Devil. :blink:

We know there's some good eyes in Port harbour and I am going to try the old 3-way swivel -worm harness combo (no fries).....on them this spring . It should produce in that current ...just have to find the right weight to use . ....and try fishing for them from the boat ! Gotta keep them worms away from the gobies though....Nice Hamiltonian Wally ya got there Steve !!!

There are no walleye in Port Dalhousie.

9933[/snapback]

Sorry Bigfish.....just a slip of the pinky finger......I have always called them pickerel or pickeral . Gotta stay away from that Walmart store .

Archived