Port D question

Guest krae

What i want to know is where did all the White Bass go!!! I remember going with my dad when i was a kid and catching hundreds of those things. Haven't caught one of them in YEARS!!! I miss them big time!

What i want to know is where did all the White Bass go!!! I remember going with my dad when i was a kid and catching hundreds of those things. Haven't caught one of them in YEARS!!! I miss them big time!

10071[/snapback]

Those bass are black now, from all the pollution......We sometimes call them Black Bass.....or Smallies :) ....(kiddin krae)....I think you are talking about the Silver Bass that used to be thick in the Niagara River & Port Dalhousie . I've heard there are still small runs of them in May or so, and they were a lot of fun to catch . They would hit any king of spinner bait and now that we use ulta-light gear, it would be great to spend time catching them. I don't know about eating them, maybe they would be okey smoked . We used to get them up at Moody Lake behind Brock from the intake rafts that are linked together ....but that was 50 years ago...OUCH !... :) don't think you'd remember that ..!

Those bass are black now, from all the pollution......We sometimes call them Black Bass.....or Smallies  :) ....(kiddin krae)....I think you are talking about the Silver Bass that used to be thick in the Niagara River & Port Dalhousie . I've heard there are still small runs of them in May or so, and they were a lot of fun to catch . They would hit any king of spinner bait  and now that we use ulta-light gear, it would be  great to spend time catching them. I don't know about eating them, maybe they would be okey  smoked  . We used to get them up at Moody Lake behind Brock  from the intake rafts that are linked together ....but that was 50 years ago...OUCH !... :) don't think you'd remember that ..!

10073[/snapback]

maybe I'm just paranoid... but i wouldn't eat a thing out that lake, it doesn't help that I'm not fan of eating fish to begin with. I'd be much happier with a nice strip loin.... mmmm steak, ahhhh drooooool... those silver bass were lots of fun to catch thow... i'm going back about 20 years, we'd catch them off the burlington pier by the skyway bridge on spoons.

:) Hamilton Harbour has a decent population of White Perch & the Silver Bass make a strong appearance every other year or so. There's still a good run of Silver's in the Lower Niagara in May. Although I've heard there's a real problem on the River of hybridization between the White Perch & Silver Bass making for a sterile fish.

If u want Silver's the best place by far in the Niagara area is Dunville (Grand River) in May or early June.

049837.jpg

There's hundreds of these guys around the dam in May. :)

Tommy.....How long to catch nothin ? Depends on what "nothin " is.....last time I checked the definition of nothing.........."A fart with the $hit kick out of it !" :)

Archived