Fort Erie

smerchly

I did a round trip today going to a few places in Ft.Erie ......stopped in at Nichols Marine for a few boat parts & inj/oil for the outboard . While driving down the river I spotted this white bird that looked like an albino heron .....tried to get a shot with a small zoom but it took off as I turned on the camera ! I did some googling but I am not sure what this bird was wading on the shoreline ....sure spooked easily when it saw my puss........

it looked like this......

wyEgret.jpg

above bird is an egret which the Natioal Geographic says it's range includes the Niagara River

the picture below is a young blue heron which is also white & so it may also be a heron .......wish I had got a picture before it took off on me......not sure what it was , but it sure stood out among the ducks & gulls on the river .

whiteheron0315.jpg

I have been absolutely amazed by the variety of fowl to be found along the Niagara River. One of the special pleasures of living in a very unique geographical area.

I have been absolutely amazed by the variety of fowl to be found along the Niagara River. One of the special pleasures of living in a very unique geographical area.

Same here Bruce ......from bald eagles to loons , the Niagara River has a huge variety of ducks , swans , kingfishers , mud hens , and probably, hummingbirds too !! And don't forget , every kind of fish in the Niagara area is in there !

I've seen both the common and great egrets this year. The common is about the size of a night heron but is lighter in build. The great egret is about the same size as the great blue heron. The great egrets seem to like to wade right out into the water. The Great blue heron spends a lot of time wading next to the shore. Hope this helps.

There is also an osprey trying to make it , for at least the last 3 years from where i noticed it. We believe we seen a bald eagle over Navy island a month or two ago but the direction of sun or lack of it made it difficult to be 100% sure. It had an enormous wing span and i did rule out turkey vulture and hawk and osprey so it only left an eagle to explain it but couldn't get a read on the white head (maybe a young one). I could see that bird taking down a deer for sure.

As per hummingbirds, i have a resident one that came for the last 2 years, this year without looking at the calendar, came on May 19 i believe. We had a little pool as to when we would first sight her. We also had a couple others that were scared off from the first one throughout the season. An oriole was a pleasant sight early in the spring as well, trying to get a drink from the hummer's feeder in late may real early june. Next day i was hanging orange halves and string from the tree, nothing happened ;) Oh well, will definitely try that next spring :dunno:

There have been a few pairs of Balds spotted along the river the past few years. One pair has been nesting on Navy Island. Last year, the traffic on the QEW came to a stop as tourists came running out of their cars to get pics of an eagle perched on a pole beside the airstrip at Sodom rd.

Hey Bill that wouldn't have happened to be in the reed grass beds just up from the marina by chance would it? Joey and I saw one in there yesterday on our way to the landfill.

Yes , very close to that spot Joe......I was standing on the dock at the ramp and the bird was about 50 yds. downstream standing in the reeds among the rocks .I should have took a shot from there (camera) ;) but I wanted to get a close up & I scared the birdie when he/she saw my perty mug......icon4.gif

Thanks for all the replies & info . guys......now I know that egrets are nesting in this area . Seems to be a lot of "white" birds around here like swans , ducks , geese , etc......

Archived