Roe vs artificial bait

Hacknslash

Ok time to start a new thread....since we seem to need one on this topic. I myself am going to contact the MNR and get clarification onthe roe limit. Maybe Snidley is right.....but if he is right about the possession of roe, they must spell it out in black and white or it is unenforcable and totally moot.

Again I will point out that I NEVER waste a fish I obtain my roe from. I also have no trouble sharing any roe I get with other fishermen. (maybe that in itself stopped a few browns or bows form being needlessly kiled for their eggs alone)

I also use about 90 artificial baits and ony use minnows for jigging walleye, the perch fishing, and roe this time of the year for the trout. That doesn't make me a hillbilly.

Drinking beer in my shorts on the back lawn watching Nascar in November makes me a hillbilly!!!

Hello.....my name is Bill , and I'm from the western Hill .....call me a Hill Billy if you wish ....no problem :worthy:

I liked the comparison Chili stated which compares those who oppose using fish eggs to vegans who will not eat meat . The reasons may be honourable , but not everyone agrees . The mnr is surely aware of the roe question and no clear rules are spelled out in the regs. ,so I would guess they see no problems with the issue yet. With the minnow-vhs issue , there was a lot of hype last year and I was expecting to hear of massive fish die offs but it seems to be very quiet this year ......could it be the problem is clearing itself up with a little help from mother nature ?

Handle your fish with care ......even if they are destined for the frying pan . :worthy:

well I am leaving the house in about 10-15 minutes to go fishing, and I plan on using the minnows I caught last night...yeeee hawwwww I'm gonna have a knee slappin sister kissin good time :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Smerch, I was just reading about VHS somewhere but I can't remember where?(may have been Ontario out of Doors) but they said there were no reported VHS cases in Ontario this year. It said typically it happens in the spring when the fish are weak from spawning and the warmer water.Could be right, Ma Nature is doing her job......

Periods of differing, diseases, epidemics, viruses, etc... come and go. They have their cycles. Eventually a species develops some manner of resistance to a disease as at runs its course and the threat is then diminished. Our poor spring may not have been overly conducive to the virus.

As for immunization of a species, it is possible to reduce the natural capacity of immune systems to adapt, by repeatedly spiking an organism to induce an artificial response.

Smerch, I was just reading about VHS somewhere but I can't remember where?(may have been Ontario out of Doors) but they said there were no reported VHS cases in Ontario this year. It said typically it happens in the spring when the fish are weak from spawning and the warmer water.Could be right, Ma Nature is doing her job......

youy are right Tom..we had a meeting about this 2 years ago at the FECC with guest speakers from the MNR and such..and that was some of the points brought up

I went fishing yesterday at Bronte and saw 2 Bronte pier guys in a boat fishing roe bags upriver. Fishing was slow as the good weather is keeping most of the fish in the lake. It was much better last week when it was cold. The pier guys got at least one fish( they might have gotten more as they got there earlier than me), and I left to fish in the lake. I returned later to the spot they had fished after they had left and there was a gorgeous 6-7lb hen slit for her skien and discarded "discretely" in the river. I noticed because she was chrome bright. I then removed her to the shore and watched the birds descend. That fish was wasted so two hillbillies could continue fishing their lame tactics. Lots of people quite rightly are reluctant to eat larger trout out of the lake for health reasons and many people do not like fish to eat fish at any time so I see their rational. They are incapeable of catching fish without using eggs so if they catch a hen , she's dead meat. This is doubly true if she's a Brown. Hey where's all the trout gone? Oh ya we killed them for bait and it's the government's fault for not stocking enough expensive exotics to cover our wasteage. I ended the day with 2 Chinooks and a Bow on lures in the harbour and lake but I'm still sick about those goofs and the though process (or lack of it) that they and most other trout anglers use to justify their unsustainable and ignorant practices. snidley

I went fishing yesterday at Bronte and saw 2 Bronte pier guys in a boat fishing roe bags upriver. Fishing was slow as the good weather is keeping most of the fish in the lake. It was much better last week when it was cold. The pier guys got at least one fish( they might have gotten more as they got there earlier than me), and I left to fish in the lake. I returned later to the spot they had fished after they had left and there was a gorgeous 6-7lb hen slit for her skien and discarded "discretely" in the river. I noticed because she was chrome bright. I then removed her to the shore and watched the birds descend. That fish was wasted so two hillbillies could continue fishing their lame tactics. Lots of people quite rightly are reluctant to eat larger trout out of the lake for health reasons and many people do not like fish to eat fish at any time so I see their rational. They are incapeable of catching fish without using eggs so if they catch a hen , she's dead meat. This is doubly true if she's a Brown. Hey where's all the trout gone? Oh ya we killed them for bait and it's the government's fault for not stocking enough expensive exotics to cover our wasteage. I ended the day with 2 Chinooks and a Bow on lures in the harbour and lake but I'm still sick about those goofs and the though process (or lack of it) that they and most other trout anglers use to justify their unsustainable and ignorant practices. snidley

My question to you is.... If they kept the fish to eat, does that make them less hillbillyish?

snidley that is just soooo WRONG , to belly slit a nice fresh hen for her eggs and then to discard it ! :)

those GOOFS are just that GOOFS !!! maybe a digital camera pic of them in action along with their lic. plate #

sent to the MNR would stop some of these arseholes from raping your and our resourses.

yesterday at jordan we watched a fly fisherman dragging his line over browns spawning offshore, which in my opinion

is just as bad as drifting ROE over spawning beds ! also saw a few guys using artificials that were snagging lots of

fish too. there are loogans in both camps :lol: we all NEED to better police what we have

Lining fish with a flyline is actually easy. Good flyboys can line the fish in the mouth on cue. But good flyboys don't do that (even though that would be "legal" catch)because that's not the point of fishing especially flyfishing. But you do see flyguys on the Saugeen by the Islands in driftboats lining them when they can't get fish to go in deeper water. I guess they figure they have flown in from Europe or America, paid big $ to fish and they have to hookup. The guides aid and abet the practice by steering the driftboats into those senstive areas. I used to fish downstream from that spot and watch an American floater who would ladle chum out of a pouch on his chest and catch fish after fish using 2lb leader. He was good at getting them in but of course not only were the fish fried by the time he landed them but no one else could fish properly because he couldn't control the fish whatsoever and everyone had to wait it out. I do remember admiring his numbers though (but that was in the bad old days when I too was a floater). Back then we all used super light line and thought we were being sporty by getting them that way. The lighter the better. I also remember fishing the Beaver at the mouth using lures. The locals all tossed Lymans in about 3 to 4 feet of water and not suprisingly caught a ton of salmon and even the occasional bow but they got most of them in the back. Lymans are so erratic that even wary fish have difficulty getting out of the way. In those days I chucked spinners, spoons, 3 1/4"rebel Jointed minnows(I got a Bow on one of those antiques today), J9 Rapalas, Yozuri 3D minnows and Yozuri Pins Minnows. The fish would definitley hit the small minnows and hardware ( I don't recall snagging even a Chinnie boot with those little guys)and I showed the locals but they never adapted. They were too cheap to put out the money but of course they broke off a ton of Lymans ( as we all know foul hooked Salmon and Rainbows are often very difficult to land). I guess they had not heard of false economy. I'm still steamed at those guys for slitting that fish yesterday but I have to put the blinders on (as someone suggested I do in another post) because when i watch what goes on at the pier from my boat I would be in a constant state of agitation if I didn't. Snidley

Ok I'll be the first to admit I get steamed when I see anglers slit a fish and only take the roe. I'll be the firdt to tell them that it is a disgrace. But not all of us who use roe act in this manner. I myself keep fish to eat, or for my friends who like fish. Getting a hen with eggs is a bonus, but I do not target them specifically. I REFUSE TO SLIT A FISH SOLELY FOR THE EGGS. So please don't put all of us into the same catagory as those who act disrespectfully.

Oh ya I don't just use row because it bores me to quickly. I have j-13's J-11's, j-9's, cleos, shad raps , rattle traps, x-raps, spoons and spinners I mainly use for trout and salmon.

Guest niagarariverpro

I personally use whatever works providing it's a legal ..Nothing wrong using roe but i only get loose roe and only a cup full per fish.. I do NOT squeeze the crap out of them and leave them for a sure death..

From Nov till April on the river i use artificials only because i get more fish..

Certainly i would never cut any fish for her eggs and thats just wrong unless your eating them of course..

All winter long try sucker spawn,streamers and yarn you'll do alot better on the trout..

Over on www.floatfishing.net there is a thread going right now reguarding roe. I know some of the floaters involved and they claim that there's a better alternative to roe that they are using. Check it out. For those of you that say you only take roe with a fish would you take that fish if you were not allowed to use the roe and further would you take a roe filled female if you wanted a good eater fish or is a male better taste wise? Snidley

Over on www.floatfishing.net there is a thread going right now reguarding roe. I know some of the floaters involved and they claim that there's a better alternative to roe that they are using. Check it out. For those of you that say you only take roe with a fish would you take that fish if you were not allowed to use the roe and further would you take a roe filled female if you wanted a good eater fish or is a male better taste wise? Snidley

lol I'm not gender specific..I eat what I catch...male, female, but prefer the smaller sizes as I am the sole fish eater in the family

And yes...even if I easn't allowed to use the roe I would still keep the fish, I just find it very convinient that I get to use more of the fish than just the edible parts, and in turn don't have to pay the $4.99 a dozen for roe bags.

I do remember admiring his numbers though (but that was in the bad old days when I too was a floater).

So what's wrong with floaters? :dunno:

Yeah whats wrong with them and WHY were you on a float fishing forum? :D

You're a real treat snidely!!

RoeBaggin

right now fish are smoking roe, there's lots of fish droping droping fresh roe and roe bite is huge. With that said in 3 weeks or a month the fish will turn over to streamers, yarn , spoons and such and thats when I start throwing those baits! By the end of Dec and through the winter I get 90% of my trouties on streamers or minnow immitations gulp/ power minnow that stuff roe still will get fish but for #'s I get way more fish on streamers and such in the winter right into April and then in may back to roe when the bows start dropping it's all a matter of timing what the fish are eating at that particular time of year your fishing. It's not nuculear science this time of year I've cut perchies stuffed with salmon eggs, just think of whats going on in the system and match your bait to that simple :blink:B)

Yes I do eat egg filled females especially if they're deep hooked. If I catch a trout its going into one of two places. The frying pan or the BBQ. The eggs are just a bonus. When I want to eat trout, I fish for them. When I get enough fillets for a few meals I quit fishing for them. I do not practice catch and release unless I'm fishing with buds. This I believe makes me a much more ethical fisherman than Snidley because he actually fishes without intention of harvest yet releases many fish and whether it swims or not every fish he catches is released wounded. How many wounded fish have you released since the bad old days Snidely. Don't say their not wounded before pulling a hook through the roof of your mouth first. I don't release wounded fish, I eat them.

Yummy :blink:

Yes I do eat egg filled females especially if they're deep hooked. If I catch a trout its going into one of two places. The frying pan or the BBQ. The eggs are just a bonus. When I want to eat trout, I fish for them. When I get enough fillets for a few meals I quit fishing for them. I do not practice catch and release unless I'm fishing with buds. This I believe makes me a much more ethical fisherman than Snidley because he actually fishes without intention of harvest yet releases many fish and whether it swims or not every fish he catches is released wounded. How many wounded fish have you released since the bad old days Snidely. Don't say their not wounded before pulling a hook through the roof of your mouth first. I don't release wounded fish, I eat them.

Yummy :blink:

I've kept one bleeder this year and I smoked and ate/gave away the fish (last week). I agree many anglers i see kill all the fish they catch even though they let them swim away(because they have not got the faintest idea as to HOW to land, hold or revive the animal). With lures and a quick trigger finger you do not deep hook many fish. I also go to siwash hooks on all my hardware and remove the belly treble on all the Kwikfish and crankbaits I Hotshot deep under pencil lead at the Niagara. You guys that keep everthing you catch are fishing like primitives because if you ask a native they will tell you that when you catch a fish the spirit of the fish is offering itself to you and it's not right to refuse the offer by releasing the animal. And you should leave the water once you have caught what you want to eat. That's what their religious beliefs dictate to them but like all regionally inspired dogmatic superstions (also known as religion) thats a load of c#ap and is ultimately unsustainable short of large scale stocking which is not going to occur in this province, at this time. Snidley

Archived