Getting behind

Dan Andrews

It's been a very busy summer and I've been slacking off. What I do with this forum is try to post the EBR/MNR/OFAH news releases that are most relevant to our area as well as I have been attempting to post the OFAH annual report from last year. This takes a great deal of time so forgive me for missing the summer from July 27th till just recently.

If anyone would like to be able to comment on any of these topics, simply copy then paste in a new topic in the O&E forum. The main idea for having the OMNR/OFAH forum read only is to try to attract Government or Federation officials to post right here on NFN to keep our region involved. They are less likely to post in an open forum where they can be harassed like the Federation and CRAA does over on spoonpullies.

So I hope you appreciate the updates but remember to bookmark the links at the beginning of each thread so if I don't think it belongs here, you need not disagree. Simply go to the EBR/OMNR or Federation website and make your own reading choices. That way you won't miss a thing.

Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

Environmental Bill of Rights

Ministry of Natural Resources - Latest News

Please PM me any dead links

Thanks

Dan

Links seem to be fine.

Thought I would paste this from one of the links.

Does show the government is doing something about

fish stocking.

October 24, 2008

PROMOTING HEALTHY FISHERIES AND A HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT

McGuinty Government Makes Newly Renovated Fish Culture Station A Reality

A newly modernized and expanded Dorion Fish Culture Station is now open. The station is the centrepiece of the Ontario government’s efforts to sustain native fish species in the Great Lakes.

The $17-million, three-year expansion project doubled Dorion’s production capacity, meaning it can supply up to 1.4 million yearlings for fish stocking and rehabilitating degraded fisheries.

Dorion is home to provincially important stocks of fish used for breeding purposes, including lake trout for the Great Lakes. This stocking program means the Great Lakes have hardier stocks of native species like lake trout and Atlantic salmon. Healthier stocks are better able to compete with invasive species and help keep the lakes’ ecosystems in balance.

New upgrades at Dorion include an enclosed building for protection from the elements and predators, a specialized isolation facility to reduce health risks to the fish from wild spawn collection, a waste treatment program for the water discharged from the hatchery and an energy-efficient geothermal heating system.

QUOTES

“Dorion Fish Culture Station is now a state-of-the-art facility that will make an important contribution to fisheries in the northwest for years to come,” said Natural Resources Minister Donna Cansfield. “Fish stocking is key to rehabilitating and restoring fisheries – part of our biodiversity – and to providing more opportunities for anglers.”

“The re-opening of the new state-of-the-art Dorion Fish Culture Station is great news for the community, for Northwestern Ontario and for the province,” said Thunder Bay MPP Michael Gravelle. “It will help make sure Northwestern Ontario continues to be renowned for the fantastic fishing it offers and provide an economic boost to the community.”

QUICK FACTS

• The Ministry of Natural Resources operates nine provincial fish culture stations which produce approximately six to seven million fish for stocking in public waters each year.

• Dorion Fish Culture Station is the only ministry hatchery serving the fisheries management needs of the northwest region and western Lake Superior.

• Fish from Dorion Fish Culture Station are stocked in waters ranging from the Manitoba border in the west to Manitouwadge in the east, and from Lake Superior in the south to Red Lake in the north.

Archived