PETA vs HSUS

Dan Andrews

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/gnns..._307004602.html

HILTS: HSUS is no friend of sportsmen

COMMENTARY

By Bill Hilts Jr.

“Who in the audience today knows the name of the most dangerous anti-hunting organization in America today?”

Those were the first words out of the mouth of Rick Story, executive vice president of the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (www.ussportsmen.org) based out of Columbus, Ohio — appropriately in one of the so called “battleground states.” He was asking this question of media people attending the Association of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers conference in Minnesota this past September.

Before anyone could shout out the name of the first group that came to mind, he blurted out: “I’ll give you a hint it’s not the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). In terms of affecting your right to hunt, PETA isn’t even in the same league with the true heavy weight champ of the anti-hunting movement. PETA puts on publicity stunts. In my career that spans close to 30 years in defending sportsmen’s rights, I’ve never stood in line outside any elected official’s office with a PETA lobbyist.

“No, the most dangerous anti-hunting group in the Nation is not PETA, It’s the Humane Society of the United States, HSUS. It does more, spends more and generally attacks hunters, anglers and trappers in the public policy forums that are capable of taking away our rights. And it is not in the business to run dog and cat shelters as most people believe. It is in the business to revolutionize mankind’s historic relationship with animals and it doesn’t care who it hurts to achieve its goal.”

Earlier this year, I was flattered to see that HSUS was reading my columns, sending a Letter to the Editor in opposition to a recent hunt at Creekside Trophy Ranch in Forrestville – all the way from their headquarters at Washington, DC. So I decided to do a little digging into HSUS. The timing couldn’t be more appropriate for the election that’s about to take place on Tuesday.

HSUS is the nation’s largest animal rights groups with more than 10 million members and constituents. Remember Cleveland Amory’s Fund for Animals? HSUS absorbed that anti-conservation group into its fold a few years ago. It is also aligned closely with the Doris Day Animal League out of Washington, DC. and a dozen other like-minded groups. Their president and CEO is Wayne Pacelle, taking over in 2004. Prior to that, he was the group’s chief lobbyist and spokesperson, helping to push through numerous statewide ballot measure campaigns opposed to hunting and trapping.

Which takes us to the upcoming election. HSUS has never endorsed a presidential candidate. It says so on their Web site, at least until now. Last month, the Humane Society Legislative Fund Board of Directors voted unanimously to endorse Barack Obama for the next president. The reason? Obama has pledged support for nearly every animal protection bill pending in Congress, some of which could impact the future of hunting in some areas, such as hunting in National Wildlife Refuges. Of course, like the Second Amendment issue, this is not something that has been brought out by the mainstream media. They’d rather talk about what Gov. Sarah Palin is wearing or what the skit was about on Saturday Night Live. Know who you’re voting for when you pull that lever on Tuesday? That person will be shaping the future of everything we’ve come to know and love in the Great Outdoors.

I took a ride with a trucker on a hwy in Ohio and counted dozens of dead deer on the road side . Many more likely died a slow death in the bush . How many people have been maimed for life or killed , including kids from auto collisions with large animals , especially small cars which have low windshields & a deer comes right into the car . Hunting helps thin these very over populated deer out ....same with moose & bear here in Canada . Perhaps all these people like P.Anderson could donate a few million (pocket change) to building 8' fences along all these highways & pass out birth control pills for the animals , AND not build their mansions in prime animal habitat country ! These people will stoop to anything to get some media attention . :)

Bout time someone realised the truth about the Humane Societies. The one in Toronto has gotten so radical that they will not adopt out a cat that someone wants because they have a mouse problem. They drive out anyone in their midst that does not toe their radical line. I have read that they are so paranoid that they believe that they are being infiltrated by people with afiliations to OFAH and other sportsmans groups. :rolleyes:

Bout time someone realised the truth about the Humane Societies. The one in Toronto has gotten so radical that they will not adopt out a cat that someone wants because they have a mouse problem. They drive out anyone in their midst that does not toe their radical line. I have read that they are so paranoid that they believe that they are being infiltrated by people with afiliations to OFAH and other sportsmans groups. :rolleyes:

Toronto h s lost their govt. funding years back because they were so radical. They channeled funds to the groups that attacked the animal lab and a few KFC's back in the 80's. A lot of the HS's will not take hunters or members of OFAH as members

The Lincoln County HS in St Kitts is the same way. Funny how they get paranoid that the OFAH and the likes are "trying" to infiltrate them. I thought sitting on these virtually public boards was open to everyone. Well they kicked the hunters out of St Kitts.

The Lincoln County HS in St Kitts is the same way. Funny how they get paranoid that the OFAH and the likes are "trying" to infiltrate them. I thought sitting on these virtually public boards was open to everyone. Well they kicked the hunters out of St Kitts.

They don't call in hunters to dispatch wounded/injured deer any more either.

I remember a few years ago when Katrina hit New Orleans. I was having my oil changed, and the guy who runs the Lincoln HS, was bragging that people were walking in and slapping money down towards their trip to go down and save some of the animals. Needless to say, this guy was getting brand new tires, wipers and I'm sure a few other things done to his trucks.

What a sham....or should I say scam? and I don't recall any big announcement about all the animals they supposedly brought back. I know there were a few, but not the numbers they had promoted that they would bring back. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but some people take it too far.

I'm amazed at how some people react when it comes to animals, but they wouldn't take the time to throw a loonie to some guy down and out on the street, or make a donation to something like the Salvation Army to help out the homeless.

Archived