Tires dumped in Conservation Area

Guest Rowaan

On the front page of the St.Catharines Standard for Monday, November 17th. There is an article about someone or a buisness dropping about 250 tires in Rockway Conservation Area. Here is a link to the article that was in the paper. http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=1300110

There isn't a picture on this link however on there is a picture of this mess on the front page of the paper and also on page A4..

Anyone with information on this please call 905-788-3135..

Thank you for taking the time to read this, hopefully we can catch whoever did this.

CH News reported more dumpings of tires today......It may be the same guy trying to save the fees & pocketing the cash saved . Some of todays problems are the downsizing of garbage pickups . Many items are not picked up now so we have to pay fees to the city to remove things like electronics , fridges , 1 lb propane tanks , old wood like garden ties, shingles, etc etc. It is a tax in disguise & people are getting tired of paying for things that stores sell them & then paying to dispose them . We now have environment fees (disposal tax) to pay when we get an oil change or new anti-freeze or a set of tires etc.etc. More people are unwilling to pay these fees & will dump this stuff elsewhere . Dump sites are charging too much , after all , we are saving the city money by using our own vehicles , time & manpower to drive for miles to the dump...it should be free ! I saw a big pile of shingles near the tall ship at Jordan today, among a huge pile of common garbage there . It's easy for anyone to dump after dark & the fines are lower than the dumping fees...... A least these tires can be easily picked up with no harm done , just a nuisance to the city & extra costs to send a crew out . Beef up the fines in line with todays wage standards .....minimum $500 ...not $50 .

There are thousands of cars underwater because of these cheap losers. At the Stevensville CA its the same story and as a care taker during the summer months I find myself looking suspiciously at every van or pickup that rolls in. It's easier to just clean up the mess.

When you think of how much bureaucracy we pay for to bring us environmental programs, consultants and enforcement, it would be cheaper to just set up dump sites that take everything for free but at tax payers expense. It would have a much greater impact on the environment.

Illegal dumping happens everywhere and the slobs are general stealth and don't get caught. I'm glad to say I did catch someone in the act and got them busted. :P Great feeling but if only that max fine was legitimate. Crank it wayyyyyyy up.

Right on Chills ....your starting to think like your old man :P It's hard to catch the night dumpers unless someone just happened to be walking nearby & called the cops . Some day , we will always have with us a cell phone with a camera . Good idea to open up the dumps to take many items that can be recycled for cash free of charge.....a win win in the long run......How about it city mothers ?? :P

CH News reported more dumpings of tires today......It may be the same guy trying to save the fees & pocketing the cash saved . Some of todays problems are the downsizing of garbage pickups . Many items are not picked up now so we have to pay fees to the city to remove things like electronics , fridges , 1 lb propane tanks , old wood like garden ties, shingles, etc etc. It is a tax in disguise & people are getting tired of paying for things that stores sell them & then paying to dispose them . We now have environment fees (disposal tax) to pay when we get an oil change or new anti-freeze or a set of tires etc.etc. More people are unwilling to pay these fees & will dump this stuff elsewhere . Dump sites are charging too much , after all , we are saving the city money by using our own vehicles , time & manpower to drive for miles to the dump...it should be free ! I saw a big pile of shingles near the tall ship at Jordan today, among a huge pile of common garbage there . It's easy for anyone to dump after dark & the fines are lower than the dumping fees...... A least these tires can be easily picked up with no harm done , just a nuisance to the city & extra costs to send a crew out . Beef up the fines in line with todays wage standards .....minimum $500 ...not $50 .

Well said...

There are thousands of cars underwater because of these cheap losers. At the Stevensville CA its the same story and as a care taker during the summer months I find myself looking suspiciously at every van or pickup that rolls in. It's easier to just clean up the mess.

I dont know about the value of iron since the economy has gone in the tank

but this summer, the price of scrap metal was high, high, high and people were making good money off scrapping cars.

The weight in an engine and frame alone should usually net you around $150, a complete car, closer to $300.

For these reasons, it doesnt make sense to me why people would submerge their vehicles rather than just drive them to falconers (off hwy 140, welland).

Also, maybe some enterprising young chap could get federal environmental funding to start a business where they dive, tow out submerged cars and then sell them for scrap. Its a stretch, but if there are at least 1,000, at $100 minimum profit per car, you could be looking at $100,000 profit there. Of course you would have to account for the price of buying a tow truck or tractor, scuba gear, getting them towed to a metal scrap yard etc.

On the other side of this, if the cars have been there for a significant amount of time, there is a chance that they have become valuable habitat for the aquatic species and should be left "well enough alone."

Either way, I hate roadside/conservation area dumping. I used to live in rural thorold and it's an endless struggle there. If I ever caught someone in the act......... Why I oughta..

...L. Cleo

Either way, I hate roadside/conservation area dumping. I used to live in rural thorold and it's an endless struggle there. If I ever caught someone in the act......... Why I oughta..

...L. Cleo

Based on what I have seen, I thought Thorold was the roadside dump! :rolleyes:

The people just never get caught.

It's bad enough that some of us are already cleaning up other anglers garbage. this dumping of tires is no worse. It's still dumping but on a larger scale. You can blame all the new garbage rules on this type of behaviour. And now they are considering going to clear garbage bags to make sure nobody tries to hide food or yardwaste in the green ones anymore.

If you ask me, it's being taken a little too far. Mark my words, the roadsides will start looking like anyones street on garbage day. People are just getting tired of all the separating of this and that, and will start chucking it wherever they find a dark, open spot. But of course....the region will do nothing to try and deter this kind of ignorance.

Take a drive by the river in Chippawa and pull off on those little parking spots and look at the surprises found there daily. It's bad enough now with Timmies cups, plastic water bottles, fishing junk and fast food bags all over.

Seriously though, what would it cost the region to distribute about 100 steel or plastic drums all over to at least try and help curb the issue?

Seriously though, what would it cost the region to distribute about 100 steel or plastic drums all over to at least try and help curb the issue?

Probably $10-20 extra on your regional tax bill a year.

As for separating garbage. They have been doing so in many European countries for 25 years. It has been the practice in the maritimes for 10.

You will find that as land fills close it is nearly impossible to open a new one. Nobody wants a waste dump in their back yard any more.

And what about apartment and highrise buildings, restaurants, shopping malls or construction and demolition companies. Anything and everything gets fired into those bins, and most of it just gets buried. I don't get it. Why are we being the ones who have to set an example for everyone else, yet they get away with it.... :blahblah1:

And what about apartment and highrise buildings, restaurants, shopping malls or construction and demolition companies. Anything and everything gets fired into those bins, and most of it just gets buried. I don't get it. Why are we being the ones who have to set an example for everyone else, yet they get away with it.... :blahblah1:

It just means that govt. is too lazy to properly impose equal rules.

Archived