imatating minnow action

marth11

ok i was reading a canadain outdoor's magazine and apparently if you try to make your lures act like the minnows that you see you'll increase your chances of getting a hookup

ex. if using a crawdad lures bottom bounce, if the minnows are darting around dart yor lure around and so forth and so forth

just womderimg if any one else heard of this idea

it wouldnt work as well, because the reason the fish goes for your lure is because of the action that your lure gives and if the action is the same your less likely to get a hookup

thats what i think

Read the same article in the dentist office yesterday. Depending on what type pf presentation you are offering the fish, it makes sense. Especially when fishing outside of weedbeds for pike, to occasionally get whatever you are using to act frightened. It turns on the pike to make a hit. Problem is when fishing from shore is to try and locate the outer edge of a weedbed. My eyes ain't so good.

Part of the reason I fish zoom flukes, soft sltick baits etc. and let them fall slowly because it is an easy (slowed down) presentation. It looks like an injured baitfish. Making your bait behave like every other bait doesn't make it stand out nor look vulnerable. The same principle applies to tuna fishing. The fish go after that which looks distinct and injured. I flutter light spoons for bass because I believe it looks like an injured fish (easy prey-use less energy). Just some thoughts. Paul.

it wouldnt work as well, because the reason the fish goes for your lure is because of the action that your lure gives and if the action is the same your less likely to get a hookup

thats what i think

but if you imitate what a real baitfish is moving better chance of the fish is thinking its real

Read the same article in the dentist office yesterday. Depending on what type pf presentation you are offering the fish, it makes sense. Especially when fishing outside of weedbeds for pike, to occasionally get whatever you are using to act frightened. It turns on the pike to make a hit. Problem is when fishing from shore is to try and locate the outer edge of a weedbed. My eyes ain't so good.

not neccasarliy you can use them for trout and other fish cause when the lure goes by that way the fish thinks its scared of it making the fish wana grab it more

My take is your trying to match the hatch but have an erratic action that looks injured. In nature in general the weak/injured are the first to get eaten because they are easier to catch. Some lures cause reaction strikes from fish so in those cases color/action doesn't necessarily make a difference the fish is going to hit the lure no matter what. How many fish are chartreuse or pink, not many and those are hot colors but it's probably more of a reaction bite. But if a fish has time to watch your bait it better look real, taste good and be easy to catch.

but if you imitate what a real baitfish is moving better chance of the fish is thinking its real

ya but just like paul said, if you were going to imitate them then the fish is less likely because your lure would be no different then the 100 minnows already swimming around.

ya but just like paul said, if you were going to imitate them then the fish is less likely because your lure would be no different then the 100 minnows already swimming around.

Jack, what your saying makes the most sense but for some reason its the opposite. We were fishing port last fall and the minnows were boiling everywhere it was loaded with them. We caught the minnows right there and threw them back out and the perch took them. Dont know why maybe because there wounded and you will never be able to imitate exactly how a minnow acts but ive seen it many times. They take your bait even when its no diffrrent then the millions of minnows right beside it/.

Bowen

Bowen, that is also true, but I think the reason for that is because the minnow is injured the perch is going to take the easier meal and its like that with pretty much all fish. However I believe that if you are treating your lure as the other minnows are acting the fish will see that your lure is just another hard kill and they will ignore it till they get an easy kill. That's also why I think jerk pause is effective because the fish will see that they can have an easy meal and therefore when they see it trying to "get away" they will grab it on the pause in fear of the bait getting away.

fishstick:

BM12:

not neccasarliy you can use them for trout and other fish cause when the lure goes by that way the fish thinks its scared of it making the fish wana grab it more

fishstick:

Not true with all species of fish.

Bass, pike and muskie are a different from trout and salmon.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any bait that you could use that would closely imitate a healty swimming minnow. Cranks have rattles or give off sonic vibrations from them, let some slack on a plastic and it spirals/flips downward. So no matter how hard you try to imitate the baitfish in the area, there is always going to be some difference which is what makes it stand out. I think that making your bait look injured is the most important part of the equation as injured=easy prey.

I have been reading this thread and there are are alot of good ideas here.

I think that there are a great number of factors that go into a fish hitting your lure.

On the visual level.

One aspect I believe is that fish do not percieve the world the same as we do. What may look like good eats to you may not be the same for a fish. Fish see the spectrum different than we do. The medium they see through is water not air like we do. Their eyes are different and so is their brain. Another factor is the aggression or confidence level in a fish.

I think that fish have a very short time to determine if something is food or not and that if a certain number of factors match what the fish's brain is programmed to percieve as food then it will eat your bait.

This is part of the challenge and mystery of angling that we all face when we wet a line.

Some fish like pike , skis, & bass are predators & will take a swipe at movement either live or artificial . Other fish are bottom feeders, or like perch will eat small stuff like grubs , worms, insects & minnows if plentiful .Each species is different . When we put a minnow on a hook there is usually some loss of blood or juice from the insides which I believe fish can "smell" & will hit this injured bait among the thousands of "faster" minnows around them . Maybe we are just catching the dummies who fall for "our" bait which keeps the gene pool with the highest IQ away from our hooks ! ;) If I could think like a fish .......(insert ur own line) ........ :dunno:

Some fish like pike , skis, & bass are predators & will take a swipe at movement either live or artificial . Other fish are bottom feeders, or like perch will eat small stuff like grubs , worms, insects & minnows if plentiful .Each species is different . When we put a minnow on a hook there is usually some loss of blood or juice from the insides which I believe fish can "smell" & will hit this injured bait among the thousands of "faster" minnows around them . Maybe we are just catching the dummies who fall for "our" bait which keeps the gene pool with the highest IQ away from our hooks ! ;) If I could think like a fish .......(insert ur own line) ........ :dunno:

I completely agree Bill and when you think about it and look at it the minnow on the hook is also a little slower and more restricted in it's ability to move. It's like with any other predator on earth, they can sense the slightest disadvantage the prey has :)

wow this became quite popular but i think everyone is right its just how you see it and true fish see stuff different from us they have different light perception and cant see the same colors as us because of lack of light

Think of feline cats, seriously, cats like all gamefish are predators. That ball of string you tease in front of a cat will get them to attack (even old cats that should know better). Its a hardwired response that is instinctive and the same applies to gamefish. So jerking, twitching, stop and go, jigging, and movement in general will catch way more fish than a lure just sitting there. Bait on the other hand can get bitten due to smell and appearance. This difference is one of the main reasons that with lures you can run heavier line than with bait for the same species. I run 8 to 12lb line for Steelhead when fishing lures and 3 to 6lb line when drifting/floating bait for those same steelhead in the same water. There are times when lures run with only minimal movement will do best as well. Thats why trolling lures will sometimes outfish cranking, jigging or jerking lures. There is movement but it is less erratic than the afore mentioned techniques. Thats also why jig fishing for Steelhead in cold water is more successfull than bait when both are run under a float. A roebag or salted minnow will move significantly in current making it hard to track down for lethargic Bows. On the other hand a jig tracks straight and a Steelie can much more easily track it down. This is somthing fly anglers have known for eons and now Bass anglers have dropshotting and Senkos, Walleye anglers have spinner rigs and Pike respond to jerkbaits that remain suspended and not moving for seconds at a time. The only major gamefish that this slowed method does not seem very effective on in musky

Archived