The River Dec 5th shore trash mission

jwl

quick report from today..hit the river for a bit as there is a spot I been itching to try out crap conditions to say the least....wind right down the river..greyish brown water. But I know this spot well and I gave it a good go.

I was really surprized to catch 2 of these :lol:

345990661.jpg

After a while of fishing, I hooked a monster steelie about 12-13 lber at least...got it to shore..grabbed it by the tail brought it up on the rocks..went to grab my hook and...flip....flop...snap...just in time for me to grab my rod and my line goes SNAP!!! ;) so no photo op for that one..camera shy I guess.

I did redeem myself however by getting this one in a shot with the weapons of the day...my 7 ft CCRods custom and ,,,,you guessed it.....my trustee ole always pull one out of somewhere..6 inch white twister B)

345990658.jpg

that one's going to have a visit with a smoker in a little while :huh:

better stay home...the river is spent :lol:

quick report from today..hit the river for a bit as there is a spot I been itching to try out crap conditions to say the least....wind right down the river..greyish brown water. But I know this spot well and I gave it a good go.

I was really surprized to catch 2 of these ;)

345990661.jpg

After a while of fishing, I hooked a monster steelie about 12-13 lber at least...got it to shore..grabbed it by the tail brought it up on the rocks..went to grab my hook and...flip....flop...snap...just in time for me to grab my rod and my line goes SNAP!!! :lol: so no photo op for that one..camera shy I guess.

I did redeem myself however by getting this one in a shot with the weapons of the day...my 7 ft CCRods custom and ,,,,you guessed it.....my trustee ole always pull one out of somewhere..6 inch white twister B)

345990658.jpg

that one's going to have a visit with a smoker in a little while :huh:

better stay home...the river is spent B)

Nice eye there Jack............... :lol: JHM

'that one's going to have a visit with a smoker' .... Well , I don't smoke Jack , so I'll take the walleye !! :D

I guess the River is the place to be with all this wind . Way to go , nice to see you gave that nice rod a work out . All you need now is a good pair of fish grip gloves ! ;)

'that one's going to have a visit with a smoker' .... Well , I don't smoke Jack , so I'll take the walleye !! :D

I guess the River is the place to be with all this wind . Way to go , nice to see you gave that nice rod a work out . All you need now is a good pair of fish grip gloves ! :D

oh it wasn't easy pickings....the wind was rifling right straight down the river...had to fight it big time to get a good drift and feel your line...not to mention the brownish grey water ;) , it's just a spot I know very well B)

oh an about the smoker...talk to your son about that ;)

Woah jwl, consider that a GREAT day :D

I still have to find a chance to use the mister twister you gave me ;)

it was kind of a slow day becuase of conditions....2 walleye,1 steelie,1 laker landed for the monring that's it ;)

that one's going to have a visit with a smoker in a little while ;)

better stay home...the river is spent :D

Hey Jack thanks for the fish. I never got to taste the walleye. Little Frick and Frack gobbled that up before I could get me a plate. The laker is marinating right now. I did steak it but it doesn't fry up so well in oil. She'll be smokin snow storm or not tomorrow.

You know if I ever get that deer, I'll remember this.

it was kind of a slow day becuase of conditions....2 walleye,1 steelie,1 laker landed for the monring that's it ;)

Damn if thats what you call slow then I dont want to know what fast is :D

Damn if thats what you call slow then I dont want to know what fast is :dunno:

I'm sure JWL would agree, if you want to really see what fast is. Wait till it's the nastiest worse day out you can imagine and get down and fish. I don't mean the wind but the coldest, snowing, just overall miserable type of day.

Just be sure to dress for the weather ;)

Nice report there Jack,

Were you float fishing with the twister or casting and retreiving it?

I normally used black for trout, cast and retrieve and will have to try white as well this coming monday, on my day off.

Thanks for the tips

Nice report there Jack,

Were you float fishing with the twister or casting and retreiving it?

I normally used black for trout, cast and retrieve and will have to try white as well this coming monday, on my day off.

Thanks for the tips

jigging the bottom super slow...as for twisters...white, I always use just white no matter what colour the water is :dunno:

as for twisters...white, I always use just white no matter what colour the water is :dunno:

And for some reason, it always works for Jack....it may just be the twich thingy happening.... :)

PM Jack about the "Horseshoe Twitch".... ;)

Actually dark colours are better in dark water. Better contrast. Black stands out.

that's funny, the water I was fishing was pretty darn dark...and if you look in the pics,I was clearly using white :dunno:

I was replying to Chilli's comment. I know YOU were using white.

well shows ta go ya..who is catching the fish ;)

I know for a fact that white is better,I have spent many years fishing that water, and tried many different things and colours and after about 25 years and a rough guess of about 5000 trips down there over that time, with a modest average of about 3-4 fish a trip (mind you over all that time some trips where 1 fish, others where 10 or more so my numers are proabbly low...keep in mind that this is not including bass fishing or anything, it is just an average of cold water months, say November until about March..so you boild that down into about 20,000 trout over that amount of time.. Holy crap, I just realized when trying to paint a general picture and average time put into fishing down there, that's alot of fish...hmmmm :dunno: I never looked at it like that before until just now.

I think I have come to a pretty solid conclusion about the colour :)

If you used black, you would have caught them too. Don't worry. I get hung up on colour for steelies too....namely pink worms. :)

alright then..one day get you hiking boots on, bundle up, you use every colour you got in the box...I will bring nothing more than my rod some jig heads and a bag of white twisters and we will see who catches the most fish ;):dunno:

Bring it down to Port instead. :P

sorry don't do Port from shore :dunno: ,I ain't into fishing with 20 people why do you think you never see me there except in the boat a couple times a season.....just my preference is all

Jack I must say that Tommy doesn't fish the water's you're refering to. And that I think that a little competition never hurts ;) I'll come down and fish with the two of you anytime :)

tell you what then Joe....we get Tommy to lend you what he would bring for the day...you make the haul with me and you use that...then I will still only bring, no tackle box, just a pocket full of jig heads and white twisters, and you and me will do it and see who catches the most :P

Dress warm and be prepared for a good 25 minute or so hike :dunno:

tell you what then Joe....we get Tommy to lend you what he would bring for the day...you make the haul with me and you use that...then I will still only bring, no tackle box, just a pocket full of jig heads and white twisters, and you and me will do it and see who catches the most :P

Dress warm and be prepared for a good 25 minute or so hike :dunno:

I'll take that bet Jack and we'll fish were Tommy was talking about. No hiking involved.

You and I have fished these waters together before so I don't see a problem with that.

Archived