just for fun...averages

jwl

I just replies to something on my thread from yesterday's trout mission, and when I was trying to figure something out in regards to how much time I put in over the years fishing some areas and the "stats" around that.

I never really looked at how well I do throughout the year as far as numbers of fish caught goes,I fish mainly for fun not food, and as a multi-species angler challenge myself all the time to catch "the big one" no matter what species I am fishing for..even catching a big sunfish for that matter.

Has anyone even thought to hazzard a rough guess on how many fish you catch a season all together, all species combined (ruling out something like gobies of course) :) .

You would probably be surprized at the numbers and huge numbers are not even that far fetched for those who are lucky enough to fish alot throughout the year.

If I take for example even screwing around off my dock at the trailer with a float and a worm..on any given day, I screw around like that a few tijmes a day..I will wake up, grab a coffee, go outside for a coffee and a smoke and grab a rod and some worms and toss the line in to see what happens, then i wake up a bit, hop in the boat and go fishin ;):dunno: ...sometimes the action is so good my coffee gets cold and my cup all filthy from worm dirt :lol: , then throughout the day even I will often pop down with a beer and do the same thing and catch a variety of fish..everything from little rockies and sunnies that you wonder how they could even get your hook in the yap, to hooking big muskies and pike over the years, if I counted every little fish I caught, I bet I would catch 75-100 little fish just off the dock..and that's before I even go "fishin for real" for the day, times that by an average of 3 days a week when I go....that's easily 250-300 fish a trip just screwing around off the dock, not even counting what I catch out in the boat so if I went 15-20 times in the season for about 50-60 days all together that's like 15-20 thousand fish just screwing around off my dock...plus the fish i catch out in the boat..add that up with all the fish I catch the whole rest of the year around the Niagara Region those are some big numbers a year.

heck for that matter my little Emily probably caught 1000-1500 fish no problem just fishin off the dock and she is 5 !!!!

the numbers are pretty staggering if you fish alot and started to add them all up :o

as far as "fish stories" go you can see that if you do the match it's not really that far fetched or an over exageration, mind you take panfish out of that occasion and the number drops quite a bit..but even at that...think about how many "big fish" you catch..take a killer day smallie fishing for example...30-40-50 fish days are not all that uncommon for alot of people....some guys go perch fishin and get 75-100 fish for the day no probs, add that into 10 trips and that's 1000ish fish in itself...trout season it's not uncommon to see anglers catch 150-200 fish or more a season..mind you no one has 50 fish trout days.. :lol:

Think about it, be realistic and not full of crap, and you probably catch more fish a year than you think!!!!

That's a hard one to estimate JW ...... if smelts count , I might be into 999 fish total :dunno: , but only half that if not .....and less than half that half if it's game fish only . Perch would be the highest count and salmon (zero) the lowest ......I would say my best day out for pannies would be about 30 to 40 fish with a dozen keepers which I caught in the Bay of Quinte at out trailer .

Wow that is a tough question. Being as I don't fish for panfish I'd have to say around 500-600 for me ;)

Now Joey targets all fish so he's way up there I'd guess around 1000-1100 :lol:

Mine maybe a bit higher but Joey had the wammy on me for a while this year :dunno: the little bugger :) So I had many white stripe days.

Can't count that High lol....

exactly!!! that's what I mean, take some of you guys who charter and stuff...how many fish are put in the boat just during your season on the water...if you are fishing once or twice a day-5-6-7 days a week and putting even 10 fish in the boat each charter on an average..that's anywhere from 70 to 100-140 ish fish or more a week, times that by 4 weeks in a month..that's easily over 500 fish a month....and that's not even remotely including your own personal fishing time for whatever you happen to be fishing for....in your case Steve the numbers of fish put in you boat could be astronomical if you include salmon charters,cat charters, then start your walleye season..so put that all together at the modest number of chartering say 6 months out of the year, that's over 10,000 fish in your boat...trophy fish to boot!!!!, add that to everything else you fish for just for fun and the numbers are huge!!!

Well i just checked my journal for this year, it was not my best year this year, not much time to fish and most of the times i went fishing was with Rene instead of Tim and he only wants to fish for perch or bass, so here is my total.

Salmon=0

Trout=0, caught 1 but was alone so could not get it up the wall.

Pike=4, really didn't have a chance to fish for them.

Walleyes= 1, yes i finally got 1 in the region, a 4lb'er

Bass=26 over 2lbs, didn't really keep track of the small ones.

Sheephead=2 big ones.

Perch=150 jumbo's over 12", 100 or so 8 to 12"

Small fish= over 200 small perch, rockbass, crappies etc...

It does add up if you count the little fish but on the game fish i did poor this year, except for the jumbo's and the 1 eye.

ok i caught abot 30 carp this summer plus like 45 panfish when i went to camp and about 25 smallies at the french 10 pike god knows how many panfish abou 15 grunts so my total will be somewere in the late 100's

I too keep a journal like Richard does. I send it back to the MNR each year

I'm in the 200 range for walleye and bout 10 for kings and one rainbow

50 plus blue gill

50 plus perch

10 pike

100 plus small mouth

10 plus large mouth

30 rock base

40 sunfish

20 plus crappy

20 plus silver bass

Hard to say..

1 lake trout in april

approx. 50 bass/sunfish/perch in June

approx. 50 bass/sunfish/perch in august, 1 very small pike that trip too.

2 walleye in september

approximately 30 pike, september-november.

The increase in pike and walleye is due to the fact that I moved from Niagara to Dryden, Ontario on august 20. I can't wait to start ice fishing, as people have been out for a week already. Pike is open year round here and nobody likes them! It was almost comical at first when I would brag to people about all fo the pike I was catching! They would say 'you must be from the south...'

So.. For 2008, I would say around 134 fish but thats likely an underestimate.

If you want to get really mathematical about it, you need to start calculating your catch rate per angling hour. Lets say, you go fishing for muskie. You spend 3 hours and you catch 1. Your success rate would be .33 fish per angling hour. Likewise, when jwl catches 100 sunners in a half hour off of his dock, his success rate would be 200 fish per angling hour.

So.. 134 for this year, hopefully next year will bring at least twice that!

....cleo

I come to the conclusion that some of you really need to go fishin alot more :P ,I go alot obviously, but I keep track of every little detail over the years to help with my success rates, sometimes I fish for 7-8 hours and only get a couple...other times I can catch 100 fish in a day no probs depends on lots of factors..as for skunks...barely ever, but i did get skunked at Port like a week ago when it was cold crappy and windy out :P that's probably one of about 3-4 skunk days for 2008 total since last January..I probably put a good average of 200 days in fishing a season, possibly more whoi knows I don't count until the wife gets mad i went fishin so much :) , then i can tell her I only went once that week...and fishin off the dock at the trailer don't count :lol:;):dunno:

I catch fish....I don't count them. Not being a bummer....just enjoy fishing without keeping count. :dunno:

A few here, skunked, a few there....and so on....I'm not one for stats. As long as I can go out, enjoy the fresh air, the scenery and the chat with whoever I'm fishing with and still manage to catch a few, that's all that matters to me.

It's a few hours of sanity.

just for fun here are my stats over the last month, I just looked back at all my pics and figured out between November 2nd until now I went fishing 10 times including today.

In that time here are my stats for the last month......

8-steelies

6-lakers

1-brown-won me biggest brown in the NRS derby :lol:

2-walleye

1-largie

1-pike-won me the NFN get together a few weeks back :D

so that's 19 fish in 10 outings...of which one of the outings was actually a skunk day believe it or not at Port :D

a actually have to edit this now that I think about it..I caught way more than 19 for the month if I count everything...the day of the NFN gathering before we all met up, me and Bigugli where fishing the banks and I caught a bunch of perch and bluegills..that i didn't even count here....so I am probably at about 35 fish really

geesh that's slow :blink:

Archived