Squirrel mission

Dan Andrews

Well I headed out to my spot to check for TP's and shoot a couple of squirrels. Brought the 12 gauge with some bird shot. Pulled up and there were 2 young girls about 5+6 right across the street. I informed them it was a bad time to go in the woods across the street until I came back. They were cool with that.

Headed in and unsocked the fire stick and got to work. This is the first time I've worked the bush with my gun. Passed through before but only shot it in the open field for target practice.

Spotted a squirrel doing his thing in the crotch of a tree. Sitting pretty making that awful noise. Sent up a wad full of pellets and down he came with barely a wiggle after. Well the sound of kids got quiet as did everything because I went temporarilly deaf without the earplugs, but then squirrels in the bush behind me started squawking giving away their location. GREAT :P back towards the kids. Can't do it.

Well maybe its time to head out to check for TP's now anyway. Its Sunday and the kids Grandma is an anti so I'll spare the complaints. Popped the squirrel in the back pack and head out. There is a spot I wanted to hang a stand but didn't want to put to much time or effort into it. That stinks up a good spot. Found a huge oak I've never climbed and found a rope with a caribinder. Somebodies been using this as a stand already ;) The horizontal branches turn up suddenly giving me a back rest and someone was nice enough to cut shooting lanes already :)

So tomorrow after an afternoon appointment, I'll be hitting the big oak till dark.

Here's some pics from today.

006.jpg

It's amazing how a month can change an animals coat from straw short hairs to thick fluffy and soft.

008.jpg

Its also amazing how something so cute, soft and hug able can look so bloody evil without its fur. I'm afraid to eat this thing for fear it will surface through the skin of my stomach like in a horror movie! Freekin alien!

Well that 2 in the freezer. 8 to go before we enjoy a Christmas meal of deep fried squirrel wings in suicide sauce. I'll call it squirrel Apocalypse. :lol:

Squirrel season ends on the 15th and deer on the 31st. Probably won't be fishing too soon. If I see you on the water, ask me for some jerky :dunno:

Disgusting ! That thing in ur avatar looks like a hairless prairie dog with a bad sunburn ! :dunno: That furry critter in your hands looks like a yard rat with a squirrel's tail . Maybe you could turn that thing into a nutty jerky & use for a stocking stuffer for the kiddies....... :P I would chunk up the meat & make a nice stew or a nice meat pie ......really ......I use to make bunny pies and they were great .....remember ? ;)

Good job Chilli! You getting faster at the skinning? Let me know if ya get any black ones, never ate one of them. Probaly taste the same but ya never know? We didn't have any black ones where I grew up hunting...

I can still smell him every time I look at that avatar. I don't think its going to last long. :dunno:

The second was easier to skin then the first. The head was still very difficult without ripping the fur. Thanks Dad for telling me to pull the tail out. I left the last one in and broke it while chasing the dog with it. It looks crooked now :)

Yer avatar tain't that bad. He kind of reminds me of the psycho weasel from a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon.

"Boy! I I say boy. What ya doin thar son. Yer goin about things all wrong thar boy"....

Yer avatar tain't that bad. He kind of reminds me of the psycho weasel from a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon.

"Boy! I I say boy. What ya doin thar son. Yer goin about things all wrong thar boy"....

HAH :D HAH ....you got that rooster down pat Bruce !! Some of those old cartoon characters were very funny ......wonder who did the voice for Leghorn .......

Chills....put the coat back on that poor critter.......it's COLD outside ! :blink:

Archived