Basic Ice Fishing Gear

Lakeshore

Everyone, looking fo a little advice here.

I have never been a big winter fisherperson.

I would like to try ice fishing a few times this winter. What is the very basic I need. I am probably looking to got to CT to get my stuff, I'm on a bit of a budget, so just the essentials.

Thanks all.

Get the lightest, most flexible 18" rod and reel you can find with 4lb. For a second piece a tip up or a jigging stick/gad with 8lb. line. Small #12- #8 hooks and ice jigs. Don't forget the bucket, or bucket with a seat, to carry your gear and sit on while out there.

After that try hooking up with one of the regulars.

Get the lightest, most flexible 18" rod and reel you can find with 4lb. For a second piece a tip up or a jigging stick/gad with 8lb. line. Small #12- #8 hooks and ice jigs. Don't forget the bucket, or bucket with a seat, to carry your gear and sit on while out there.

After that try hooking up with one of the regulars.

Dont forget to layer your clothing, good warm boots, some hot pockets, sunglasses and lunch.

Minnows / maggots your best bet for bait.

Peters Tackle has a very large selection of ice rods & reel combos with line on the spools ,ready to go . Check the drags for smoothness , some stick a little unless to get a quality reel . I have a Shimano Sahara 750 with 4 lb line for perch & crappies etc. My second rod is stiffer with a heavier reel with 10 lb line , used for pike . I use 30 lb .floro leader with a large minnow or for using jigging baits. You will learn quickly what methods are catching fish , just walk over to people fishing & you will see all kinds ways they catch fish .....Next thing you know you will want a NEW VEXILAR fish finder....... :dunno:

come on ice man ...make me some ice will ya .......

Guest BRIAN P

"GOOD AND POSITIVE ATTITUDE" otherwise dynamite! No "DON'T DO THAT"

I reside Upstate new York, so I know about weather verses "D*@# just few more minutes- I know hes down there.

Wear Layers ,and have extra! (can always take off)

Know the area (do research) OR ASK YOUR FRIENDLY BAIT SHOP.

Go with "KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSON."

EQUIPMENT: "NO DYNAMITE"

TIP-UPS(SEE REGULATIONS)

JIGGING POLES

HUT(NO DON'T STEAL YOUR NEIGHBORS)

TARGET FISH (AQUARIUMS DON'T COUNT)

BAIT: TRIAL AND ERROR

- GRUBS- ATTRACTENT FOR JIGS

-TIP-UPS( SMELT FOR PIKE)

--SHINERS FOR WALLEYS- BASS

-MINNIES(LITTLE MINNOWS) FOR JIGGING

FINAL INGREDIENT :: HAVE FUN

Pretty much all covered already but the most important thing is to keep warm quality boots and gloves are a must as for tackle a stick with line tied around it will work as a tip up or any light action ice fishing rod will do. Just a plain hook and a split shot will get you started but just like anything else theres thousands of options out there that can cost you a fortune if you have the coin to spend. A spud is usually more than sufficient around this area for perch usually we don't get very much ice until later in the season. Last but not least a skimmer spoon to clean out your holes is a must because it is a very long day when you fingers freeze as soon as u start.

hope this helps

niagarafisher

Archived