Lyons creek

shadow

Plan on ice fishing Lyons Creek for the first time for pike this weekend. Never tried there befor thru the ice but hav had success there in tha summer. Parking at beck road bridge and go from there. Has anyone ever tried it out there and if so any success? Ice is looking thick as of sunday.

never heard of anyone ever ice fish there :dunno:

this is more of a summer fishery, used to be good in the spring for pike..but inland is closed as of March 31 starting last year :Gonefishing:

I have fished this water for over 30 years and have never heard of any ice fishing...although you could be on to something.

Keep in mind the whole creek is pretty shallow except for a small channel down the far side (left hand side) if facing toward Beck Rd from the mouth.

Keep away from a couple areas with high current, for example where Tee Creek joins Lyons Creek, there is a strong current there and the ice will be thin

Guest johnson

I'd like to hear how it goes for you. I've never heard of anyone ice fishing there but I've always wondered if it was worth a try.

If theres no pike there I wonder about some sunfish?????maybe????

Lots of crappie in Lyons creek as well

not nearly the number there used to be...it got hit bad like 20 years ago by a few people that would come from over the river,how they ever found out about that fishing at the time is beyond me but these folks would go home with bucket loads of thier catch of "callicos" for the day :Gonefishing: . Before that, you could catch 50-100 in a couple hours no problem...now, lucky if you can find them letalone catch 10 :dunno:

not nearly the number there used to be...it got hit bad like 20 years ago by a few people that would come from over the river,how they ever found out about that fishing at the time is beyond me but these folks would go home with bucket loads of thier catch of "callicos" for the day :Gonefishing: . Before that, you could catch 50-100 in a couple hours no problem...now, lucky if you can find them letalone catch 10 :dunno:

And yet some people still don't understand why some of us are reluctant

to share some fishing spots with just anyone.

not nearly the number there used to be...it got hit bad like 20 years ago by a few people that would come from over the river,how they ever found out about that fishing at the time is beyond me but these folks would go home with bucket loads of thier catch of "callicos" for the day :Gonefishing: . Before that, you could catch 50-100 in a couple hours no problem...now, lucky if you can find them letalone catch 10 :o

I remember when there were lots too, but haven't caught one in there in since I was a teenager. I fish it a lot still, just don't fish for crappies anymore.

I don't know if this is true or not but I have been told that being on the ice on Lyon's Creek can be quite dangerous. Due to fluctuating water levels on the Chippawa Creek, you may end up being on ice that has no water directly beneath it, thus very weak even when thick. I don't know if this is true or not but I grew up in Chippawa and as kids we were always told to stay off it in winter.

Archived