Imports !!!

smerchly

Just another uneducated column from the Sun written by buffoons from a city.

Love how they restate the old farmer logic of "drive the critters to extinction and we won't have a problem"

Turkeys, elk and deer are not invasives. Typical city drivel

funny how at first glance, I read the article and would say that the conservation efforts put forth to re-establish what was once native species is a great success is alot of areas, and others see it as a destructive impossition on some areas B)

I can see the problems that stem from the spring bear hunt ban, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that after so many years of the spring hunting ban there woul all of a sudden be more bears :unsure:

As for the elk I do not think that they are correct with the numbers, as far as I know a few years ago there was like 9 of them up and around where my trailer is, they never relocated 100 of them

Since the re-intorduction of turkeys was so successful that they estimate the number sare back up in the range of what the "natural poplulation" was wayyy back when, turkeys are no longer "stocked" any where in Ontario.

I agree with the Big Ug.

Besides who actually considers the Sun to be real journalism (sorry Smerch) I think I have highschool book reports with more facts than a Toronto Sun Article. B)

I read the comments at the bottom of the story and it seems as though most of the commenters have some sense, a couple were the "hobby farmers" that live "in the country" but have no respect for anything but a purpose built sterile environment.

If you have property and need somone to get rid of one or two nuissance wild turkeys in the spring...let me know, I have the course and the 12-guage. :unsure:

I don't hunt "Bambi or Thumper" as a promise I made to my wife a long time ago (damn Disney) but anything else is fair game. :D But in this region I find it tooo hard to get hunting permission on a strangers land. Too many people say "I like to see those critters every morning" or "They are like pets" And the few landowners that are receptive to hunting always say "Well...I already have Bob, and Jim.... and adding more might get dangerous and would not be fair to Bob/Jim...."

Turkey, Elk and pheasants belong as part of Ontario's natural scenery as do the deer, moose, wolves, coyotes, foxes and blackbears. But their populations must be controlled. As chili keeps advocating on this forum, if we are going to manipulate our environment then we must fully manipulate it and take responsibility for these animals.

All-in-all I see hunting as another form, a larger form, of agriculture. Wehere by the farmer must maintain his herd, we as hunters must maintain our herd(s). Taking what is responsible and culling when neccessary to maintain the health of the population.

Archived