Pigeon

smerchly

any pigeon people here ? This bird has bee in my yard all day feeding on the ground picking up the bird feed containing small sunflower seeds . It seems quite tame as I could get within 6 ' of it to get a snapshot . The red marks on the tail seem fake , like it was painted on there for I.D. purposes . It is a good size , plump , juicy looking bird :lol: ....but I refrained & had marcaroni for supper :Gonefishing: .........

white%20bird.jpg

It is a variety of racing pigeon I believe. A former member of the G&F. George ? ( forgot last name) used to breed and show fancy breeds of pigeon. His favourites were Modenas.

Racing pigeons are white /almost all white. Ther are a few lines of pigeon with red in the tail feathers, but I no longer remember the names. Ron Wormald (another former member) would be more acquainted with the various strains. Both were members of the, now defunct, Lincoln Feather Fanciers.

It may belong to a local & it flew the coop . I had a bud who raised different types of pigeons & some of them were amazing to watch like the tumblers . The big thing then were the homing pigeons which were taken miles away & released along with other club members's birds & they would find their way back home . I saw him last on the roof ,looking west........ :Gonefishing:

It may belong to a local & it flew the coop . I had a bud who raised different types of pigeons & some of them were amazing to watch like the tumblers . The big thing then were the homing pigeons which were taken miles away & released along with other club members's birds & they would find their way back home . I saw him last on the roof ,looking west........ :)

pretty neat looking sky rat Bill.

funny you mention that, when i was a kid there was a family down the road from me that had "racing pigeons" these guys where all part of a club. They took thier pigeons to different locations in Ontario, banded thier legs for refference, then they let thier pigeons go and had a punch clock for when they returned home, they would put the leg band in a punch clock, it would record the info from the bird and the time and they would then determine who's birds had won the race

My dad had pigeons fance and racers they can travel very far the longest race they had was 500 miles it took about 5 to 6 hours to come home depending on weather and wind direction. homers are all colours some are white. Tumbelers are pastel or light in colour and when they fly they tumble in the air. If this bird has feathers on it's feet it's a speceal fance pigeon. If he belongs to anyone he will have a numbered leg band l belive it's on the left foot when the bird looks at you and if he dose not they are also good eating

I never thought of looking for a band ! It has been coming back to feed every day since Monday . By 5 pm it usually disappears . I hope it's not someones prized bird & it is lost (not likely) .....but it is a good size ....think it tastes like chicken ? :)

I took this shot today ....you can see the band on its left leg ......

white%20pigeon.jpg

nice and plump bill if anyone asks it was a car ill be your witness heck ill stage the thing

thats a racer prob hit bad wether and got blowen off corse. it could be from anyplace l herd of birds from the uk have been found here if it happens that you get your hand on it there will be a number and a few letters and year the numbers are reg. the letters are the club it flys from and last the year it was born. if it has a rubber band on the other foot it was in a race chances are slim to none that it dose becuse the racing is done at breeding time and after. that birde will tast very good because the oner would be feeding the best food he can buy. they bulk them up like body builders and train them hard 2 or three times a week. STILL GOOD EATIN

Talked to the guy today.

If it is still hanging around look for the band on it's leg and get the mumber, send to me and that other link (I will give to the Milton guy he is with a club.)

The owner will come and get it.

The colouring of the feathers is supposed to be a hawk deterant.

Used mostly in spring when they release the birds for exercise.

He said those that don't exercise the birds in winter are more likely to be plump and slow, and great dinners for the hawks.

Hence the colours,

If you see one that is totally coloured it is a chase bird.

Or the bird could have been blown away from home in the strong winds we had.

Jeff

Archived