Too many deer!

Well I went for a little drive to Pittsburgh. Counted 15 dead ones on the side of the highway between Erie and Pittsburgh. Had some spare time so I went for a stroll around the hotel and noticed there's no bush untouched, no square foot of soil without hoof marks and plenty of signs of deer all through the city. The whole City is like the Bruce Trail covered in buildings. Valleys and gorges everywhere so many driveways are lined with these buffers and the deer are thriving because every strip of woods is posted. There's enough food wandering the woods to fill the shelves at the local soup kitchen.

Pittsburghdeer1.jpg

This deer (above) was right there in plain sight over the first guard rail I looked over.

Then this next one almost got hit with mate at 4pm trying to get to a tiny piece of manicured lawn on an industrial property. He's headed back to the safety of the bushes where I also spotted a coyote but couldn't quite get it in the shot

Pittsburghdeer2.jpg

Then after almost getting hit, I walk right over and start taking pictures. He was actually quite curious.

Pittsburghdeer3.jpg

I Love seeing the deer but not this many. Damm shame to see that many laying on the side of the highway dead. Bloody waste.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i190.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid190.photobucket.com/albums/z252/wildniagara/Movie.flv">

About 10 years ago I joined my bro in law in his 18 wheeler to Pittsburgh , & I counted 21 dead deer , some bloated ! I wondered how many died in the bush from their injuries from vehicles . Why doesn't the state clean them up ......maybe they do once a week or something . The auto body shops must be doing well & I'll bet some people have been injured also ! Thanks for the reminder Dan .

The interstates are like that all the way down to Georgia. Lots of fresh roadkill.

On the one trip to Florida we dodged 4 deer during the night portion of the drive.

Pennsylvania has always had a lot of deer, a lot of people go there to hunt from outta state and if you go to a high school or a factory during deer season you will find it almost empty! All the locals out in the country hunt! I grew up down in Big Flats NY and it's right on the border, used to be atleast 5 dead deer a day on the way to school on the bus! Lots of corn fields and mountains down there! I don't think they can keep up with how many are getting hit to clean em up right away. The deer might out number the people and they are smart, I think they know the people can't shoot em in the city. It's a heck of a lot easier to buy a gun and hunting license down there and they still have more deer then us, pretty amazing.

About 10 years ago I joined my bro in law in his 18 wheeler to Pittsburgh , & I counted 21 dead deer , some bloated ! I wondered how many died in the bush from their injuries from vehicles . Why doesn't the state clean them up ......maybe they do once a week or something . The auto body shops must be doing well & I'll bet some people have been injured also ! Thanks for the reminder Dan .

The turkey vultures will be happy.

Archived