Bird feeder

Add a picture from your bird feeder.

Lets see how many different species we can post.

Here's 2. There are several gold finches (wild canary) but what is the one in the middle?

002.jpg

Chills, I get Juncos, red polly's, a few different type of sparrows/house finches (haven't seen the white crowned sparrow at all this winter), gold finches, downy woodpecker, cardinals,there is a chickadee in the hood as i hear him and am thinking about putting a nesting box up for it). Also, last two years i get cedar waxwings, i have only had one in my tree, but they are all around the hood.They usuaslly don't show up till weather is warmer. Last year i had an oriole come to my hummingbird feeder once, was quite a shocker, and beautiful. I get a regular hummingbird but last year there were 3 different ones, the reg scared them off fairly quickly. Mourning doves also frequent. Bluejays once in a while, only had one grackle so far, we usually try to chase them off, were bad...

will get some pics soon...

I think the one in the middle is a female House Finch, I get Pine Siskins coming to my niger seed feeder in mixed flocks with the wild canaries/ goldfinches, but they are a little smaller than the canaries and have a little yellow on their wing bars which I don't see on this bird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well every time I try to get pictures of the visitors at my feeder theytake off before I'm through the backyard gate.

Here ias a couple I got.

Anyone know what this guy is?

Backyardvisitors010.jpg

or this guy?

Backyardvisitors012.jpg

and just for fun. Do you see what I see?

Backyardvisitors004.jpg

FW

Well every time I try to get pictures of the visitors at my feeder theytake off before I'm through the backyard gate.

Here ias a couple I got.

Anyone know what this guy is?

Backyardvisitors010.jpg

or this guy?

Backyardvisitors012.jpg

and just for fun. Do you see what I see?

Backyardvisitors004.jpg

FW

first one looks like a rose breasted grosbeak,second is a boat tailed grackle I think and the third is bambi peeking out of the grass.Or a hyena

first one looks like a rose breasted grosbeak,second is a boat tailed grackle I think and the third is bambi peeking out of the grass.Or a hyena

Thanks for the ID

Actually 2 Bambis. the one on the right is easy as his eyes are shining. The one in the center is more difficult.

Thanks for the ID

Actually 2 Bambis. the one on the right is easy as his eyes are shining. The one in the center is more difficult.

the first bird looks like a purple finch

the first bird looks like a purple finch

This bird has a flatter crown and grayer underside. Also note the body structure is less compact. That makes it a grosbeak.

They are, in fact, both grouped as red finches, along with crosbills and cardinals.

This bird has a flatter crown and grayer underside. Also note the body structure is less compact. That makes it a grosbeak.

They are, in fact, both grouped as red finches, along with crosbills and cardinals.

the red is not red enough for a rose breasted grosbeak

This is a red breasted grosbeak. I have pictures of imatures that look like the first bird in question though.

3464631750_8458ab1a2b.jpg?v=0

This pic is a rose breasted grosbeak.

Should properly be referred to as a 'pine grosbeak' in the disputed pic. One word, or the interpretation of colour makes all the difference in the world. I had to go back to an old Peterson's to refresh the old noggin

Never thought that picture would get so much debate. I have been getting a couple of these all spring. I also get Bluejays, Cardinals and Red-winged blackbirds and a whole bunch of different sparrow and finch sized birds that I have no clue what they are.

Thanks for the Ident Chilli, and everyone else.

Although pricey, a good field guide is well worth the money. I've had the Peterson's Guide for 30 years.

Small differences mean a lot when it comes to identifying birds, and I don't spend as much time with my glasses any more except to watch waterfowl.

Archived