Skunked Today.

AwolRJ

It has been questioned about what makes carp the worlds greatest sportfish. When it comes to the fight carp are great. A 6lb carp could tow 2 6lb largemouth around till they were dead. Only the chinook can match their drag screaming runs. Carp get big, really big. Everbody has heard the stories about carp the size of torpedoes. In the US bass fishing which is the undesputed king generates about 4.8 billion dollars a year. In the UK carp fishing generates about 6 billion dollars a year. Now the population of the UK is 60,000,000 the US is 300,000,000. If you count the rest of Europe and Asia carp fishing dwarfs the N.American bass fishing scene.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would put my money as carp being the smartest fish in the water, anyone who has targeted them seriously would most likley agree.

carp are super genuises after genearations of imbreeding they became super smrt

It's no secret that carp fishermen grow an intimate love for the species.

On one hand they are a destructive invasive species brought here as food and were either discarded into streams by bankrupt farmers or were introduced when floods ravaged said farms. In Europe they are loved.

On the other hand they are as here to stay as gobies and killing them will not affect the population. Disease might. They put up a hell of a fight and carp fishing is a great introduction to fishing for any new young angler.

I would not be too upset about the carp snaggers but they are harming the fish unnecessarily and they do get into other species this way. I have seen then tear open the sides of pike in that marina while trying to snag carp. I have seen steelhead snagged and even one musky which they argued was a pike and kept. I told them not only was it illegal to keep a musky OOS but it was also illegal to keep a pike caught by snagging.

The cops were called. So if you think snagging carp is not an issue because you feel it is not a desirable species, think again. They keep, wound or kill everything they catch this way.

Hammercarp if I saw someone snag 3 carp accidentally fishing for pike, I would suggest he find another style lure or bait to try. When my stick bait catches more than 1 largemouth, I either move or switch baits.

It's no secret that carp fishermen grow an intimate love for the species.

On one hand they are a destructive invasive species brought here as food and were either discarded into streams by bankrupt farmers or were introduced when floods ravaged said farms. In Europe they are loved.

On the other hand they are as here to stay as gobies and killing them will not affect the population. Disease might. They put up a hell of a fight and carp fishing is a great introduction to fishing for any new young angler.

I would not be too upset about the carp snaggers but they are harming the fish unnecessarily and they do get into other species this way. I have seen then tear open the sides of pike in that marina while trying to snag carp. I have seen steelhead snagged and even one musky which they argued was a pike and kept. I told them not only was it illegal to keep a musky OOS but it was also illegal to keep a pike caught by snagging.

The cops were called. So if you think snagging carp is not an issue because you feel it is not a desirable species, think again. They keep, wound or kill everything they catch this way.

Hammercarp if I saw someone snag 3 carp accidentally fishing for pike, I would suggest he find another style lure or bait to try. When my stick bait catches more than 1 largemouth, I either move or switch baits.

same Dan if im catching Bass while targeting other fish on lures i swich up if its live bait then im SOOL which i hate

I don't know of any studies being done on "smart fish species" and I doubt very much their memory lasts more than 3 seconds :rolleyes: . But fish may seem to be a little less intelligent as new toys (tools of the trade) emerge every day ......We can call up a bud , get a gps quote to a productive spot , lower the riggers & watch the big screen & record the water temp & drop a camera down to guide the hook into their yapper when the yawn :lol: . And we have the sharpest lazer hooks & special rods & reels for any type of fishing . Carp fishing has it's place & the important thing is the guys ENJOY catching them & using their little bag of trick & treats and the battle that follows . When I am fishing for perch or pike , crappies or channels , a carp would be a welcome guest . And it would be released in the same way I release all fish that I hope will live on for someone else to enjoy . Good carping carpers ! :)

I don't know of any studies being done on "smart fish species" and I doubt very much their memory lasts more than 3 seconds :rolleyes: . But fish may seem to be a little less intelligent as new toys (tools of the trade) emerge every day ......We can call up a bud , get a gps quote to a productive spot , lower the riggers & watch the big screen & record the water temp & drop a camera down to guide the hook into their yapper when the yawn :lol: . And we have the sharpest lazer hooks & special rods & reels for any type of fishing . Carp fishing has it's place & the important thing is the guys ENJOY catching them & using their little bag of trick & treats and the battle that follows . When I am fishing for perch or pike , crappies or channels , a carp would be a welcome guest . And it would be released in the same way I release all fish that I hope will live on for someone else to enjoy . Good carping carpers ! :)

good way to put it Bill every specices is welcomed and there released the same to i only kill mussels and gobies

Nothing beats putting an arrow threw a carp from 20+ yards away.

If this is legal ,what do they guys do with the fish ? Sorry . I don't know the regs about this .....

If this is legal ,what do they guys do with the fish ? Sorry . I don't know the regs about this .....

It is legal. There is a few regs. about it. Such as where you can and cannot bow fish. Also I believe there must be a reel on your bow and line on your arrow.

I usually go out a few times a year, shoot about 10-30 a season, in which they are given to my neighbor who uses them as compost.

pretty decent video, you can also see there bow and arrow set ups

Thanks for posting the video . That must be Alabama fishing ! :) I saw a vid .about bow hunting Asian carp , shooting them in mid air ! There were thousands or should I say millions of them ! You may find people who would like to compost them in their own stomachs ...... :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the video . That must be Alabama fishing ! :) I saw a vid .about bow hunting Asian carp , shooting them in mid air ! There were thousands or should I say millions of them ! You may find people who would like to compost them in their own stomachs ...... :rolleyes:

There is alot of good bow fishing videos on youtube from huge gar to alligators down in FLA.

Its a huge sport in the southern US, and is slowly catching on more and more up north.

There is alot of good bow fishing videos on youtube from huge gar to alligators down in FLA.

Its a huge sport in the southern US, and is slowly catching on more and more up north.

I was into archery in college and had a 64 lb compound hunting bow. I shot carp with it probably before you were in diapers. The term" shooting fish in a barrel " came to mind. It takes no great skill as an archer. The last time I did it I looked at the four dead carp in the bottom of my boat and thought " great you have just made 80 lbs of garbage out of living creatures" I took the spool off the bow and put it in the garbage. It is not catching on more and more up north and has and will always be on the fringe. It is legal and if it "floats your boat" that's your business.

Back on the snagging the carp thing, there is a overpopulation of carp because they are not considered a edable fish so if they are cought they are usually released. I know people that bow fish them and throw them back its legal like if the mnr seen it they wouldnt be as mad as you think like they would if you were snagging musky or trout/salmon. I feel its not bad to snag those fish because they consum and leave nothing for the smaller fish, there only benifit is that they clean the bottom of the water, but like i said they are overpopulated.. but i dont snag regaurdless best way to catch carp is sweet caned corn...

There are instances where a carp cull is beneficial but supporting, promoting or teaching your kids to snag is IMO bad ethics no matter what the target species is.

I agree. When we wipe out the top end preditors from a body of water carp can overpopulate. All creatures exploit and effect the enviroment. They can have too big an impact and you can get a lake full of stunted fish. I have seen this with bass and pike as well. Over populations of carp can tell us we are doing something wrong, if i may use that term.

I don't think this applies to the Niagara.

On the snagging thing. I think some people look for an excuse to be unethical they don't really need a reason.

I didn't know it was legal to snag carp now I do! Whatever floats your boat I guess...

This is right out of the regs.

It is illegal to:

• Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.)

of any waters. A spring gaff includes any spring loaded device

which sets the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a

gaff, snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff,

may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means.

• Catch a fish by impaling or snagging it with a hook through any

part of the body other than the mouth – any fish hooked in this

way must be released immediately.

Please note. It says "catch a fish" That means any fish not just someones favourite. This also means that the act is illegal whether you keep the fish or not. If you deliberately snag a carp your are breaking our laws.

Archived