Skunked Today.

AwolRJ

I been fishing since 6am this morning and got nothing but a bucket of minnows to show for it. We tried Ft. Erie then went down to the Parkway marina where I went 2-2 on catching snaggers. Last week it was a guy in his 40's with a few kids snagging carp with a big spoon and giving them to an elderly man, this week it was what I thought was a father son team untill I got in a argument with him and the guy said he was 15(had a full beard lol), told him in 3 more years he gonna be swimming. They were using little cleos to try and snag the carp in the shallows. I yelled down to him and said that's a good example for your son, they just looked around and proceeded to try and snag carp. 5 mins later my brother in law is tangled with the younger kid, because the kid just snagged a 20 pound carp on a bass pole. Sure enough I went to leave and go down river and the hook is in the tail, I said again this is a real nice example your setting. Well the kid says I'm a Republican and they are just having fun snagging carp and proceeded to tell a older couple on a walk how much of a jerk I was for telling them not to snag carp. I was speechless, if he didn't try saying he was 15 I probaly woulda decked him in the water he was so ignorant, but I just moved to a new spot down the road and left them to there carp fest. Didn't waste my breath with the COps or Mnr cause I know by the time they get there all there gonna do is go back to timmies!

I know there carp, but if there snagging fish right in a marina imagine what these guys will do when nobody is watching. Thats 2 trips to that place and 2 snaggers, pretty good ethics going on down there!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B) I was at the Marina today also.......I was hoping for a pike, but didn't catch a thing.....I was talking to someone, as I was arriving (maybe that was you).....It was still a a nice day to be out................

Guest niagarariverpro

Randy you should have done what i would have... cover the kids eyes though.. pretty bad example the dudes setting..

good thing we weren't fishin Randy.. the stuff would have hit the celing.. lets go fishin tomorrow :-)

B)

I was there probaly between 8-10, we went there after nothing down the road. I was talking to a nice guy using chubs and he wasn't having any luck either!

That couldn't have been me....I'm not that nice of a guy.............I got there around 1:00 p.m...................

So the ice is out of the marina? I went there on Sat. with some guys from our carp club but it was jammed . I will see if I can escape from work early this week. I have a twelve ft 3lb test curve rod and I can spool up my Diawa 5000 with 50 lb power pro. Maybe I'll snag some snaggers and check out how good their equipment is when I tighten up and reef back. B)

darn snaggers i dont mind if its accidental but if that happens i release it right away but when there going around snagging carp for the fun and giving it away i just get mad

I personally only give them one warning about twenty minutes after I've called the tips hotline. Too much of this is going on these days and it has to be stopped. I'm with you hammercarp pull the rods out of their hands when possible and keep them tangled up.

I personally snaged two carp this year while trout fishing, first time for everything I guess. They were snaged on a jig and set free as soon as possible. I'm not proud of it but it does sometimes happen B)

I personally only give them one warning about twenty minutes after I've called the tips hotline. Too much of this is going on these days and it has to be stopped. I'm with you hammercarp pull the rods out of their hands when possible and keep them tangled up.

I personally snaged two carp this year while trout fishing, first time for everything I guess. They were snaged on a jig and set free as soon as possible. I'm not proud of it but it does sometimes happen :(

i know it sucks it worst when its in the belly then you risk killing them after that, most of the fish snagged under the bottom lip

In match fishing for carp snagging is a legitimate but time consuming method of catching them ( and snagged carp do count for your total). Just another reason to reject the foulest of our finny friends as a target for your fishing entertainment and make efforts to keep these pests from any sort of sportfish status. Best be like Minnasota where returning a caught carp to the water is illegal (like gobbies are here)

In match fishing for carp snagging is a legitimate but time consuming method of catching them ( and snagged carp do count for your total). Just another reason to reject the foulest of our finny friends as a target for your fishing entertainment and make efforts to keep these pests from any sort of sportfish status. Best be like Minnasota where returning a caught carp to the water is illegal (like gobbies are here)

I believe you wrong here Snidley. I have contacted members of the carp club I am in from our Minnesota chapter and I am sure we can get you straightened out . Also MACO the Match Angling Club of Ontario does not allow snagging carp so you are mistaken there as well. Your third statement is also sadly misguided. The carp is the greatest freshwater sportfish in the world already whether you approve of this or not. :(

If you apply the invasive species rule to carp you must also apply the same rule to brown trout, or any other species that was introduced into a non-native waterway.

The carp is the greatest freshwater sportfish in the world already whether you approve of this or not. :(

I don't see how they can be the greatest sports fish. There's not much to catching them. Down here in Niagara, you throw out some corn the night before, go out in the morning, and your into them all day long. Don't need any special gear or anything, just use a small hook with some corn and you into them.

Not really much of a challenge.

I don't see how they can be the greatest sports fish. There's not much to catching them. Down here in Niagara, you throw out some corn the night before, go out in the morning, and your into them all day long. Don't need any special gear or anything, just use a small hook with some corn and you into them.

That strategy also applies too our local trout fishing too. Fish the whirpool anytime in spring spawn and you will see floatfisherman chumming roe and fishing right behind it usually with very good sucess. The same ideas apply to trout fishing as carp fishing. Small hooks, light line and mostly proper presentation make the difference betwwen a good fisherman and a bad one whether were talking steelies or carp

I'll supply the corn you pick the spot and show me your magic.... :(

I'll supply the corn you pick the spot and show me your magic.... :(

It's not magic Denis, it's well known if you chum an area the night before,

carp and catfish make their way to the food, and are still in the area the next

morning. That's how I got my daughter into a few huge carp a few years ago,

that I posted here.

Send me a PM and perhaps we can hook up some weekend.

KF

The next show or seminar I do I'll be sure to include you as a guest speaker. :( When I asked people at he Niagara show if they had targeted carp before most of them said they had tried it but had caught nothing.

Carp are like most fish. There are times when it is easy to catch them and times when it is not so easy.

KF the Niagara is not the world.

Back on topic to the snagging. Those guys that were snagging carp would probably do the same to any other fish they found vunerable like trout and salmon are at certain times of the year. Bad ethics is bad ethics. Which is why I was most surprised by Snidleys response since in his posts he seems to espouse only the highest of ethics. I am not even aware there are distinctions anymore between coarse fish and sportfish. I thought that was "old school" thinking. Carp are protected by the law.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack AwolRJ, but it does happen time to time.

Thanks for the invite HC, if I'm available no problem :D Niagara may not be the world, but it's one of the best fisheries in the world. I only know a few people who chum the night before, as it does require an extra trip and some leg work, picking out potential spots, but when done, you get into them. Of course you are going to have an off day where nothing is biting, but most times it's extremely productive, because the fish are still in the area search for food.

Of course your not going to chum a fast flowing river or channel. There are all kind of slow moving bodies of water around Niagara you can chum the night before and get into carp the next morning.

Many people I have met fishing for carp, don't get into them, mainly because they never fished for carp and don't chum the water that day, and wait for them to arrive. Then I see people chumming with 20lbs of meal or corn and some get into them, some don't.

Chumming the night before with a small bag of corn, in a area one knows there are carp increases

the hook up a hundred fold. The fish are still there looking for an easy meal.

I'm not going to belabor the point. Try it, it works.

Dan

:(

I believe you wrong here Snidley. I have contacted members of the carp club I am in from our Minnesota chapter and I am sure we can get you straightened out . Also MACO the Match Angling Club of Ontario does not allow snagging carp so you are mistaken there as well. Your third statement is also sadly misguided. The carp is the greatest freshwater sportfish in the world already whether you approve of this or not. :D

I may be wrong but I heard the largemouth bass was the most popular freshwater sportfish :(

Archived