What duck/goose?

Looks like a goose. Seen this one on Cliff's site awhile back. Is it native? What the heck is it? There seem to be allot more pictures of it popping up this year.

3495012551_9bb947e09f_b.jpg

This one was in Port D for kid's day

Possibly a Snow goose. there are so many intergrade colour mixes between the white and gray phases of the species. It has the black lip of a snow, and the neck patterning associated with a 'blue'. Beyond that I'm not certain.

Couldn't be a Brant. Black neck and face, blue billed and small fleck of white on the neck.

How about a white fronted or bean?

white fronted is an all gray goose, pink beak with a white patch on the face. Dark underside with black barring.

The all gray goose in the second set is probably a domestic 'graylag' goose.

One thing to note. Wild and domestic geese do cross breed creating some really unusual cross markings.

white fronted is an all gray goose, pink beak with a white patch on the face. Dark underside with black barring.

The all gray goose in the second set is probably a domestic 'graylag' goose.

One thing to note. Wild and domestic geese do cross breed creating some really unusual cross markings.

Ya a couple of years ago I saw a cross between one of those gray geese and a Canada. It was really strange looking. It had the body shape of the gray, and it's plumage literaly looked like you superimposed a Canadas colours over a picture of a gray goose. You could see both types in one.

• 2 weeks later...
So its legal to wring its neck and throw it in a crock pot?

Feral domestics may not be covered in the regs but I'm sure the Humane Society might say something.

Why? Quick death and it gets eaten. Why would the HS be concerned? Besides do we really want our domestic stock interfering with our native species. These things are aggressive to our wild stock and the chances of a cross breed affecting genepools have already been proven. Just look at little ugli :Gonefishing:

Kidding aside Bruce I'D love to challenge the humane society. I'd never be cruel to any creature and I wouldn't waste any meat. You know since the Niagara Falls HS cleaned house a bit, they seem to have come around and took the cross hairs off of us hunters. I think coyote watch has backed down a bit also. We can be allies or enemies and I think some of these people are starting to see why we would make good allies.

Hey if I invite Jay from the NFHS over for a goose dinner, we may be able to arrange a new relationship that could see all tame geese or domestic escapees reconditioned. The goose in question doesn't really look that tasty to me. Looks like some good flies could be tied out of him though.

I wholeheartedly agree that feral domestic fowl needs to be culled quickly. As for "little Ug", that's what I get for marrying a Niagara girl. All that toxic waste has affected the gene pool.

I've also seen a wide range of reactions from humane societies, etc..., whenever it becomes necessary to manage wildlife populations. I get an ear full from people for practising C & R, because they perceive it as cruel. I had to fight with the humane society in the 80's because they were opposed to efforts to control a coyote/feral dog problem on the outskirts of TO. Look at the cries every time a bird cull is discussed.

Let em cry buddy. I'm still young enough to argue common sense :Gonefishing:

BTW my little chilli would rather watch the soap channel than go kayaking this afternoon. Kids these days. Must be the environment :;

Archived