Deer accident

smerchly

Bad news today . A young man ,29 years old was killed by a deer that came crashing through the windshield of his truck on HWY 20 near Smithville . The deer was hit by another car which propelled the deer into the air and then was hit by the truck . I believe the young man was a hockey goalie and many people are shocked after hearing about this accident .

Beware when driving the smaller hwys & back roads especially at night (dawn & dusk) and keep the speed down . Many deer have been hit lately in this area and now a young life has been lost .......it only takes a split second ,and you haven't got any time to react ..........

The last 2 times I sat in my stand, (Yesterday being one) it took less than 5 minutes to see my first deer. Is this an indication of the population?

http://niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1604753

Smithville man killed when truck hits deer

Posted By Review Staff

Posted 19 hours ago

A 29-year-old Smithville man died Monday night after the car he was driving hit a deer on Regional Road 20 in West Lincoln, Niagara Regional Police say. The accident occcurred before 9:10 p.m.

The man was driving a brown 2003 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck westbound on Regional Road 20 near Kimbo Road. At about the same time a 71-year-old Wainfleet man was driving a 1999 Ford Taurus eastbound when he struck a deer. The deer continued across the highway and was hit by the oncoming pickup truck. The deer came through the truck’s windshield and came in contact with the truck’s driver, a police report states. The pickup truck veered off the road into the a field. When emergency crews arrived, members of the public had pulled the man from the truck. But he had sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Imagine hitting a bull moose, that would total your car and possibly you.

An uncle hit a bull moose when doing mail deliveries north of Dorset. There was nothing left of the right side of the van. Luckily Uncle George escaped with a few stitches.

Imagine hitting a bull moose, that would total your car and possibly you.

Coming from Northern Ontario, I've known people who have been killed by hitting a moose. I also know people who have been lucky enough to walk away unscathed after a collision with a moose. I doesn't take a bull either a cow will do a lot of damage. I even knew a guy back in highschool who hit one broadside while dirtbiking. the bike kept going, he stopped like Wiley Coyote when the train goes through a tunnel. He survived with a concussion.

I have been fortunate that I have never been in a collision with a moose, but I have come close.

FW

I have seen more deer around toronto than I have in sudbury or in/north of thunderbay. All I see up there are those d*mn turkey vultures that keep circling our car.

Not much left this morning but it was almost right on the railroad overpass by Bowen. That seems to be a problem area and its close to where I hunt. Lots of deer here in Niagara but populations have been dropping in other parts of the Province.

Any word on who this was yet? This is very sad to hear. Tonight on the way home from the lake I saw 7 different places where we saw deer, more than 1 on most occasions.

I found this in todays Niagara This Week . He was very well known in the hockey field . A very tragic thing to happen because of a deer on the road . And on the news today (Friday) the cops had a problem with 2 deer on the QEW near Netherby Rd. and they had the hwy shut down until they got the deer cleared out . Keep a sharp eye while driving , a life can be lost in seconds hitting large animals like deer .......

accident.jpg

Years back a man was killed when a cow came flying threw his windshield. Instant death.

VACAVILLE, Calif. (Reuters) March 5, 1999

A motorist was killed when an airborne cow smashed through the windshield of his pickup truck, striking him in the head, authorities said Thursday.

The California Highway Patrol said the 750-pound (340-kg), 1-1/2-year-old heifer wandered onto a road during stormy weather Wednesday night in an unincorporated area of Solano County about 50 miles (80 km) northeast of San Francisco.

A 1983 Mercedes-Benz traveling north on the road hit the animal, sending it hurtling into the air and into the path of the Toyota pickup, which was traveling south. The cow fell through the windshield and killed the driver, who was wearing a seat belt.

After hitting the pickup, the heifer was thrown onto the southbound lane and was hit by another Toyota pickup.

"This is about as freaky an accident as you can imagine," CHP Officer Chris Linehan said in an interview.

It seems it is not that freaky at all. This is a copy of the story I remembered, but when trying to find it to share, I found hoards more.

Yes we all have to be careful when driving - not only at dusk or dawn. Always.

Archived