Charles Daley Park

smerchly

Some of you have probably read my posts & also Bigugli's posts & photos of the fish & wildlife at this park . As I walked along the beach through shrubs & trees, I saw deer tracks, 3 toads , and the usual mixture of birds like red winged black birds , herons & kingfishers . The water level is slightly higer than normal ,thus creating another eco-system above the shoreline where frogs have eggs , tiny pinhead fish of different species , and all sorts of other aquaic creatures that depend on this water to survive .As I approached the beach at the lakefront ,I saw a sad sight where the town attempted to drain the pond by bulldozing down some shrubs & plants etc.and also dug a trench just beyond that mess ,but to no avail (yet) to lower the pond level . What reason could they have to do this you ask ???? Well .......they want to use this space to set off fireworks for July 1 ! They have done this before and it's obvious the eco system in that pond means squat to the town ! The pond is full of all sorts of fish , and many other species of bird & animals depend on this system for survival including their young . Who do you call to stop this disregard for the environment for the sake of 20 minutes of ooohs & awwws watching gunpowder expode ? Set the fireworks off elsewhere !

here's a photo I took of the mess they made of the wetlands....very sad to see ......

cdp%20dig.jpg

call the mpp for the area or go visit them with pics

It's a Tory council with a Tory mpp running for party leadership. Hudak will not want to hurt his supporters.

This is not a new practice. Been happening on and off the past few years. Tried the MNR route 2 years back and all I got was silence.

If the MNR can ignore this because of political ties , then I will ignore the MNR and what it 's supposed to stand for ....the environment . A few newspaper stories and getting some environmental groups to take photos , especially close ups of the critters that thrive in the shallows , would make the MNR look neutered ! But the saddest part is the general public at large would rather have firecrackers than be concerned about the environment........

Drifter, can you please elaborate?

The older playground in the middle of the park will be torn down and a newer, larger playground will be raised in it's place in September. A volunteer group, FOCDP, found grant monies and will use an army of volunteers to construct the new equipment. Has nothing to do with the beach.

Archived