High Oil Prices

smerchly

Yep .....I look forward to very high oil prices . I don't expect anyone to agree , but I like to think well ahead for tomorrows world (our kids) . I have stated here before that when we talk about all this energy saving stuff like the Suzuki adds , we hear nothing about how much fuel is wasted bringing our products from appliances , food or cars etc., half way across the globe . Until we address this major waste of fuel , I pay no attention to this "green ,eco friendly , smart high tech etc etc ) brainwashing that is taking place . I saw this man on the CH news today who apparently thinks exactly like I do.......His name is Jeff Rubin & he wrote a book about how high oil prices would benefit the world & us by making exporting products from all over the world very expensive . One example of many is, mining iron ore in Brazil , then shipping that to China to make steel & shipping the steel to the U.S. This involves many huge land machines , trucks , and ships which burn tons of fuel . Ditto for food & our Canadian Tire & Walmart goods . We will pay more to drive but will pay less taxes ( jobs pay tax) .The environment will benefit and many social problems will disappear when people are WORKING ! I hope this man is right , it's better in so many ways to stop this insanity . Here's a little of what he has to say and I hope what he says about the shrinking world will happen . I'll keep driving big gas guzzlers , but drive a LOT less .

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/books/why-y...article1148668/

Save the world. Go Amish. It's amazing how far you can go on a bucket of oats. The problem is in getting the cities and towns to install horse troughs again.

Save the world. Go Amish. It's amazing how far you can go on a bucket of oats. The problem is in getting the cities and towns to install horse troughs again.

Even the amish are going hi-tech we bought a set of carriage wheels form them for a 1929 fieldkitchen used on the Finnish front, and the wheels were made of fibreglass!

Even the amish are going hi-tech we bought a set of carriage wheels form them for a 1929 fieldkitchen used on the Finnish front, and the wheels were made of fibreglass!

I hope you'll post me some pictures of that. I'd be interested to see how the project turned out.

I hope you'll post me some pictures of that. I'd be interested to see how the project turned out.

Fieldkitchen.jpg

This was in sudbury a couple of years ago.

It was built in 1929 and was used throughout the war in northern karelia where my grandfather fought as well as Lauri Tourni. Lauri Tourni was a famous Finnish soldier who fought in the Finnish army and later did two tours in Vietnam he died when his huey crashed in Laos. In 2004 me and my dad restored it sandblasted and repainted it and even put in a propane burner in place of where the wood would have been (it is illegal to burn wood within city limits outdoors). We repainted it and took off the rubber tires (this was used up to the 1980s) and put on some carriage wheels put this was temporary so later we got some cannon wheels the same type the kitchen originally used. We can cook up 200 L in the main pot and 30 L of coffee or tea in the back two pots.

We have made chilli, stew, pea soup, and more stew, as well as coffee and tea.

It heats up surprisingly fast at about an hour.

WOW ! What an amazing piece of history !!! You guys did a nice job restoring it . :ph34r::P I live in a residential neighbourhood & many folks here burn wood in smokers, chimineas , firepits with screen spark arresters & even wood fired pig spits . If you can set off huge firecrackers , then the above should also be legal . Can you convert it to wood easily ? Also would charcoal briquets work good ? Thanks for the picture ! B)

WOW ! What an amazing piece of history !!! You guys did a nice job restoring it . :ph34r::P I live in a residential neighbourhood & many folks here burn wood in smokers, chimineas , firepits with screen spark arresters & even wood fired pig spits . If you can set off huge firecrackers , then the above should also be legal . Can you convert it to wood easily ? Also would charcoal briquets work good ? Thanks for the picture ! B)

The wood burning would be easy but it would be very hard to clean up after and we forgot to patch up the shrapnel holes under the stove so ash would fall through them and burn stuff.

plus propane heats it up a bit faster

Absolutely beautiful work. Our family hails from Karelia, and the uncles also fought on that front. The homestead is just outside Parikkala.

They used similar field kitchens in the 30's and 40's here in Ontario for some of the road gangs and logging crews.

Archived