First Brook Trout(s)

Erik.T.

I finally found a trout stream (the location of which will of course remain undisclosed) and it was loaded with brookies.

I was using a 7-8 foot rod with a bendy tip/ spinning reel/ 4lb mono/ small size BB splitshot/ eagle claw hook (cut off snelled rig)/ bait (grasshopper/worm)

We only got to fish there for about a half hour and for the first 13 mins we were fishing in a very awkward place where bushes with thorns were hangin over the stream making it almost impossible to get to the water. we then fished downstream where it was a little clearer.

We fished small logjams and deep holes and such and had good sucess for the 15 or so minutes that we were fishing there.

Previously I was fishing another section of the stream close to a road and almost had a brookie but when I stood up to set the hook he got scared off.

We went back to that spot first and this time I did not see or get anything there.

The two things that I think helped improve my fishing in this stream were that I was using the eagle claw trout hook instead of the straight shanked aberdeen hooks. The problem with the trout hook was that they came snelled with a heavier fluorocarbon like 10-12lb test and so I cut the line off and tied the hook straight to my line.

The other thing that I think helped me was that I did not use a bobber. This is because it is a very shallow stream and the fish would probably sense it. also fishing without a bobber allows me to drift my bait under logjams and not get snagged.

The first brookie was smaller and a lighter colour whereas the brookie I caught when about to leave was darker and slightly bigger.

I would encourage other anglers not to eat the fish from these streams as there can be bad impacts made on the fish population. Unfortunatly I also saw some trash (cans, plywood) and almost caught a brookie that was hiding under piece of plywood.

I will be able to fish this spot again on Friday.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

Those little speckled trout are the bestest eaters of all ! We did the last ones on the bbq , wrapped in foil , stuffed with chopped onion, celery, tomato & lemon/herb spice . When it was done I opened up the foil , forked some holes to drain off the juice and let the skin brown . Just cut down the back , open up the fish & remove the whole back bone& rib bones .......2di4 !!! :lol:

Smerch I agree pan sized brokies are just about the tastiest critters going. Eric you are to be congradulated for your ethics. I am afraid in regard to those little guys I was just too weak willed many, many times. I like mine lightly floured and pan fried.

Erik,

Like the others have sain MMMM MMMM good. Nothing better than pan fried for breakfast after an early morning fishing.

I understand your concern about C&R of these lttle wonders but a few thing to think of:

1. These fish are very fragile, don't handle them if practicing C&R, don't even remove them from the water to un hook.

2. Don't target these fish during the heat of summer when stream temps are up, this is very hard on trout and char species. I believe the magic temp is 68 or 70F but I can't remember.

3. these fish are in a delicate balance with their environment, I mean look at the size of their home, a larger home and you get larger more plentiful fish, smaller habitat and you get smaller fish smaller population, that is why speckies in lakes while being the same species get much larger than the stream brookies (same as gold fish in your bowl at home versus the ones being caught around here)... it is ok to take one or a few...they will be replaced naturally, but you are very right to keep your spot to yourself as they can't take heavy fishing pressure.

Just my $0.02

Fishy

Erik,

Like the others have sain MMMM MMMM good. Nothing better than pan fried for breakfast after an early morning fishing.

I understand your concern about C&R of these lttle wonders but a few thing to think of:

1. These fish are very fragile, don't handle them if practicing C&R, don't even remove them from the water to un hook.

2. Don't target these fish during the heat of summer when stream temps are up, this is very hard on trout and char species. I believe the magic temp is 68 or 70F but I can't remember.

3. these fish are in a delicate balance with their environment, I mean look at the size of their home, a larger home and you get larger more plentiful fish, smaller habitat and you get smaller fish smaller population, that is why speckies in lakes while being the same species get much larger than the stream brookies (same as gold fish in your bowl at home versus the ones being caught around here)... it is ok to take one or a few...they will be replaced naturally, but you are very right to keep your spot to yourself as they can't take heavy fishing pressure.

Just my $0.02

Fishy

Oh don't worry I took the fish out of the water for less than 6 seconds (I have never seen my dad move so fast) and I had wetted my hands first also we were using barbless hooks and all of the hooks went throught the lip. Next time I will try to keep them in the water but the last one had to come out of the water because the hook was hard to get out and I needed more sunlight.

I was fishing a very very very shaded section of the stream and this stream always flows through forest not though pasture so the water does not heat up very much (about 3 degrees from spring).

I am a species fisherman meaning that after I catch a couple pf a certain species I move on to try and get the next species. Sometimes I get hooked on a type of fishing be it catfishing and now trout fishing. So size is really no concern of me because I do not eat any of the fish that I catch (though it is nice if I get a bigger fish). The only fish that I have caught and eaten was my first fish EVER (a rainbow trout from a trout farm).

And your right it is ok to keep one or a few. I just wouldn't. for one example it seems I have started a feeding frenzy :lol:

Thanks you for the heads up though about the water temp in summer I never knew that.

I went out again today and discovered a whole new stretch or the stream.

channelcatfish010.jpg

channelcatfish007.jpg

channelcatfish012.jpg

It was a pretty sucessful day I got two of my biggest ever brookies and the barbless hooks worked like a charm. Got some bug bites though. :P

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I thought you were going walleye fishing on Rice?

I was going to but I found this spot and decided to try it out to see if my hard work paid off.

I might try the kawarthas for walleyes next week or I may go to my dads friends house. He has a pond that is fed by a creek and it holds lots of wild browns.

Nice job Erik!!! :P

I'm curious..Who do you go fishing with?..I'm thinking you don't drive yet?

My dad who doubles as driver as well as cameraman.

3. these fish are in a delicate balance with their environment,

Oh don't worry I took the fish out of the water for less than 6 seconds (I have never seen my dad move so fast) and I had wetted my hands first also we were using barbless hooks and all of the hooks went throught the lip. Next time I will try to keep them in the water but the last one had to come out of the water because the hook was hard to get out and I needed more sunlight.

I was fishing a very very very shaded section of the stream and this stream always flows through forest not though pasture so the water does not heat up very much (about 3 degrees from spring).

I am a species fisherman meaning that after I catch a couple pf a certain species I move on to try and get the next species. Sometimes I get hooked on a type of fishing be it catfishing and now trout fishing. So size is really no concern of me because I do not eat any of the fish that I catch (though it is nice if I get a bigger fish). The only fish that I have caught and eaten was my first fish EVER (a rainbow trout from a trout farm).

And your right it is ok to keep one or a few. I just wouldn't. for one example it seems I have started a feeding frenzy :blink:

Thanks you for the heads up though about the water temp in summer I never knew that.

Some people will never learn

Hand doesn't look so wet now

Archived