Pier Fishing Round 2

Erik.T.

Today was the first tim in a month that I have been fishing and not seen rain :D

Water visibility in lake o is about 3-4 feet due to the murky water being washed into the lake by the tributaries.

The fish seem to move into the shallows later in the day around 3-5pm.

On day one I caught a small brown by sight fishing whilst going for gizzard shad. I almost had a small rainbow.

I was handling the brown with wet hands.

Browntroutpier2.jpg

On day two I caught a small rainbow, numerous gobies, and a small perch. I also almost had a couple nice brown trout.

It is handy to have a fishing rag. (I was handling this rainbow with a wet rag)

IMG_1201.jpg

Goby

IMG_1203.jpg

A rather large goby

IMG_1204.jpg

And those are the results of about 2 hours fishing so I think I did pretty good.

The great lakes trout seem to be more fragile than the inland/stream trout. I would compare them to the mackerel as their scales come off really easily even when wet.

Some fine fishing! WTG!

That looks like it was a serious goby!

Maybe someone should start a "Largest Goby" thread, and we'll see how big these b@stards are growing.

Just snap a shot before you throw it up on shore, or lob its head off... :D

Some fine fishing! WTG!

That looks like it was a serious goby!

Maybe someone should start a "Largest Goby" thread, and we'll see how big these b@stards are growing.

Just snap a shot before you throw it up on shore, or lob its head off... :D

Nice pictures Eric.....those little trout are pretty things . The goby is serious for sure .......it has a good set of choppers which can tear up a minnow like a piranah ! :D

check out the lower dentures...... :D

gobie.jpg

Hi! Nice little trout. Also nice goby.

Eric, just wondering what did you do with the goby you caught? Release or death?

Also, Why do you bold your entire posts?

The goby went back in the water so "release" because I normally don't kill my fish unless i'm gonna eat it and I normally don't eat the fish I catch. Also I would rather not have a pile of dead gobies lying on a pier in the sun as they tend to smell after a while and the nearest garbage can/washrooms were about a km away.

I have no Idea why I bold my entire posts I used to do it because on other forums the text was very wierd and so you had to bold it it make it somewhat readable and you caouldn't change text type but I am not yelling at you :D If I was yelling at you it would be in caps. :Gonefishing:

And yes I had the visually impaired thing going through my mind :wacko:

Yes the pier is "around" Toronto

I also find the goby to be very interesting............................they look almost like mudskippers!

I heard of somebody who caught a goby a little over a foot long at Frenchmans bay.

Thanks for the comments I just got back from a trip to ottawa so tomorrow I go fishing!

Nice trout there. You know you are going to get ragged on for releasing the gobies.

Just stomp on them and toss em back in if need be.

I thought it was illegal to throw invasive species back into the water! Or is it strongly encouraged not to? Could someone clarify this? I kill them all, the seagulls love me in PD. LOL!!!

RB

As per page 13 of the 2008-2009 Ontario Sport fishing regulations -

WHAT YOU CAN DO... ( to stop the spread of gobies)

• Report new sightings. If you catch a round goby do not throw it back alive!

Erik as an upstanding fisherman and a model to others I hope you realize what you've done wrong here! You're contravening provincial game and fish law!

Maybe in the future instead of throwing it back, you could decapitate it first or leave it on the pier to be picked up by a gull. You may think its messy but life is messy and that's just one way we can all stop the goby invasion!

I thought I might have been wrong there but then I looked in the left column at the fine print and it says clearly..

"It is illegal to possess live invasive fish including: round goby, tubenose goby, grass carp, bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, rudd, ruffe and any species of snakehead. If any of these species are caught they should be destroyed and not released back into any waters."

So lets see the flop.. Has anyone here been charged for releasing a goby? Would it be your standard $110 fine? Less? More?

I know you don't like killing fish and everything but I think it is necessary to kill ALL gobies you catch. All of 'em.

You could always bring along a small garbage bag, and toss them in the trash on your way out...

My preferred method of disposal is to throw them in nearby bushes, or toss them to the birds, as someone else suggested...

use them as bait and fish for seagulls, my pb seagull was about 3 lbs

LOL ok I guess a plastic bag works.

Also the one I thought was a rainbow, could it be a small salmon as the tail is forked? or is it trout that have the forked tails?

Archived