Lake Gibson/Moodie, Decew Reservior

Technosis

Hi,

These wintery days make me think of warmer weather, and open water fishing in Niagara. I've always been a little bit curious as to the actual number of (and ease of catching) sportfish in the Lake Gibson/Moodie waterways. From the dam in Allanburg, to Lake Moodie just above the Decew Falls hydro station, are there decent sport fish populations ???

I spoke to a older gentleman last year who was part of a community group to get a sort of "waterfront" developed for the Lake Gibson area around highway #406. He was mainly interested in sodding up the banks, adding walking paths, greenery, and I think a small fishing pier. He also explained that this waterway was once a valley of sorts and flooded and converted into a man-made lake of sorts (often this does not lead to a good fish environment due to lack of natural habitat ;) ). I know that due to industrial bottom sediment fish are "Eat at your own risk" here.

Has anyone had any real success fishing these waters? I've heard people even speak of Muskie in the fast waters (sounds iffy...maybe they dreamed it??) I've fished the headwater pond of the St. Catharines reservior off Faywell Drive in Decew Falls with little success. An aquaintance of mine caught a very nice Largemouth in the area known as Marlatt's Pond.

Hopefully this waterway has some opportunities, as it is central and easily accessible. Has anyone here had any nice catches from this area ???

Thanks,

Chris.

Thanks Tommy Niagara,

Yeah, I have heard of some monster channel cats being hauled from these waters. With a stink bait or cut bait you can get some good action as the current will provide a scent line to the hook.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest bigfishbass

i caught a nice pike in that area years and years ago... then forgot about the spot until last summer.... headed out to check out lake moodie.....lots of fish jumping so they say.... but i was there in Oct. Will try it again this year... and see what happens.

Guest chilli

My Son has fond memories of the Upper man made. Caught the biggest of the day there when he was about 5. 7-8 pound cat. I've spent some pretty nice evenings up there in the summer during the sandfly hatch. All you could hear after dark was the constant sucking of the rock bass engulfing the winged larvae.

Lake Moodie does hold good numbers of musky and if you are lucky you could catch a trophy. There are also decent sized largemouth bass in there.

quote=Technosis,Mar 12 2005, 01:35 PM]

Hi,

These wintery days make me think of warmer weather, and open water fishing in Niagara. I've always been a little bit curious as to the actual number of (and ease of catching) sportfish in the Lake Gibson/Moodie waterways. From the dam in Allanburg, to Lake Moodie just above the Decew Falls hydro station, are there decent sport fish populations ???

I spoke to a older gentleman last year who was part of a community group to get a sort of "waterfront" developed for the Lake Gibson area around highway #406. He was mainly interested in sodding up the banks, adding walking paths, greenery, and I think a small fishing pier. He also explained that this waterway was once a valley of sorts and flooded and converted into a man-made lake of sorts (often this does not lead to a good fish environment due to lack of natural habitat ;) ). I know that due to industrial bottom sediment fish are "Eat at your own risk" here.

Has anyone had any real success fishing these waters? I've heard people even speak of Muskie in the fast waters (sounds iffy...maybe they dreamed it??) I've fished the headwater pond of the St. Catharines reservior off Faywell Drive in Decew Falls with little success. An aquaintance of mine caught a very nice Largemouth in the area known as Marlatt's Pond.

Hopefully this waterway has some opportunities, as it is central and easily accessible. Has anyone here had any nice catches from this area ???

Thanks,

Chris.

12199[/snapback]

Aside from catching suckers as a kid, I totally forgot about Gibson until this summer...went out a couple times catching what I think are White Bass. Began venturing down the river and never even knew that Moodie exsisted. Caught a few bass there and had a pike (or muskie if they're actually in there), he was jumpin' all over, but eventually spit the hook (bastard!!!). If you go in the evening, there is TONS of fish jumping around on moodie if you get a calm day, and their big ones too. I'd love to get to the other side where the reeds are but haven't figured out an access to the other side.

I grew up fishing in Lake Gibson in a 12 footer with a Minn Kota. That place was stellar. I used to flip the weed mats and get pigs over 5lbs..largies...and 3lb smallies. Largies on rats were a blast as well! Lots of gar pike in there never fished for them. Walleye have been caught as well as trout. I nailed some nice pike on crankbaits as well.

I fished it 5 times a week for 7 years....those were the good old days. Things have changed. Although, I'd love to take my Ranger in there...just once!

moodie holds a good population of Pike, Muskie, and largies! biggest muskie i seen followed my buzzbait in and went well over 40 inches and was probably in the 30 lb range. not too sure about fishing there anymore however, a lot of no trespassing signs and such. Lake gibson has some good smallie action, where the old highway juts out into the lake can produce from time to time and obviously around the pillars of the 406 (crayfish worked best). the middle pond at the end of collier rd. is by far the best largemouth fishing out of the entire network. fish up to 5 lbs are caught yearly while most average 1.5-2 lbs. my biggest was 19 in. never had a scale but it was around 4 lbs. seen a school of gar pike one spring, there was 7 of them and while most were 2-5 lbs there was one that would have gone double digits for sure, a true monster and 1 other was around 7 lbs. never did catch a pike but seen a dead one. good crappie fishing in there as well, please don't eat these fish however. oh, and if you like carp, make sure you fish that middle pond, there are some real pigs and they get very little pressure. There are so many good areas to fish from shore in the niagara region that it can be hard to pick one. just remember to pick up your trash when you leave or these angling areas will become no trespassing lands. Good luck, John.

NORESPECT : I wish you guy's would leave my familey alone I keep getting calls about those big hooks they hurt you know :worthy: Catfish

Guest chilli
I'd love to get to the other side where the reeds are but haven't figured out an access to the other side.

12250[/snapback]

You can access it from the Brock University right at the end of St Davids Rd or go to the bottom of the hill and follow Lockhart Dr to the top again and park up by the Hydro Facility and take the trail. Bring the Binoculars if going there. Stunning view of St Catharines and plenty of wildlife. That's where Smerch told me he caught a "Leather or Morror" carp.

bigleather.jpg

I've heard about rainbow trout and seen a walleye caught in Allanburg....but again, before the changed up the shoreline.

STEVE-HAMILTON

Would that be your Scanoe by any chance? I'm definately considering it....just waiting for the rest of my tax forms....:worthy:

12273[/snapback]

it certainly would...

i'm serious on the offer. if a local wants to take a day and spend it with the scanoe and either 2hp outboard or the 43lbs trolling motor (depending on regs), i'll be the host...

the rig is light enough to be portaged to any of the small ponds/areas, but sturdy enough for two people to stand and cast (as long as your remotely agile!)

email me at cheesecake@mountaincable.net if your interested.

Steve

I would be careful putting anything in there. OPG has really cracked down on that stuff. As for guys being afraid to eat the fish, check the regs. I sat through countless public meetings and information sessions.

I'm not much of one to eat what I catch, but do some homework on the issue.

Big muskies are more towards the 'pump house' and big pigs live in there. I know there are largemouth over 5lbs that must be about 7lbs by now. NO lies...NO exageration. What killed L. Gibson was all the people targetting bass in April and May. Trust me, that place was a fish factory!

The bigger pike, and they are there upwards of 15lbs are well hidden and very difficult to get to.

Gibson has some phenomenal structure...like sunken roads...and a sunken building. Culverts are always a good start.

You can access it from the Brock University right at the end of St Davids Rd or go to the bottom of the hill and follow Lockhart Dr to the top again and park up by the Hydro Facility and take the trail. Bring the Binoculars if going there. Stunning view of St Catharines and plenty of wildlife. That's where Smerch told me he caught a "Leather or Morror" carp.

bigleather.jpg

12269[/snapback]

What IS that ugly lookin thing with the spare tire ?? Doesn't look like the mirror -leather carp I caught there in Gibby ! We fished the south side at the "rafts" ....they would send the troops in if you went there now . That was a great spot for a variety of fish, from small trout to big pike , but that was long before I thought of making chilli.

I'm a little confused here... it sounds like people are taling about Upper Lake Gibson, Lower Lake Gibson, Beaverdams, Lake moodie and Alanburg, but refering to everything as Lake Gibson or Lake Moodie.... here is a pic of a couple 19" LM i caught in Beaverdams last year... 19" LM and his brother .... I was out with Tommy on upper gibson beside Merritville Hwy when we saw a 3lb (or so) Smallie caught....

I used to fish gibson for pike, but never bothered with moodie.... however, this year i think that's gonna change and i'm gonna concentrate mainly on the Gibson/Moodie/beaverdams system... i'd be happy to have someone show me the roaps or even someone to learn the system with...

We used to eat suckers out of Gibson years and years ago but stopped once we heard about the contaminents in the water...but I looked at the 2004 Guide to eating Ontario sportfish, and aside from the Carp, it's not that bad to eat the fish that come out of there. Here's a link to the section

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/cons/590b12_SouthOnt_A-I.pdf

and here's a link to the site where you can choose the different regions

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/guide/

THe 2004 edition was much better, you could download the entire 100 page guide, but now it's in sections and they changed their format...makes sure to read Intro first to understand what's going on.

Gibson's toxcins: A lot of you will not beleive me when I finish this post but here go's. Back when everyone and there mother was dumping and alot went though this area it was bad I mean bad you know when you stick a spoon in a pudding cup and it stands alone well thats bad but it has been atleast 10 years since they haved stopped all dumping and it has made a differance, even if you look at the old canal the onr with the foam on it that is no longer happening so what about gibson lake well alot of the toxins have been covered up over the years with sediment as long as you don't stir it up I think the fish would be fine . I don't think I would eat any fish from there but as far as catch & release it would be ok. Now not saying that you can fish there because it is still posted but you know how the gouv works it will take another 10 years to take the signs down, It's the same with lake ontario the toxins are atleast 1 to 2 feet under covered up with silt, all this is thanks to the zebbra mussles cleaning the water , but again you know if they changed the book to say the water is ok the all the millonairs tha donate to clean it up will not give that much they will give half so the book will not change for awhile. please be very carefull when in this area and don't eat the fish because don't go by what I said CHECK FOR YOURSELF. Catffish

:dunno:

I'm a little confused here... it sounds like people are taling about Upper Lake Gibson, Lower Lake Gibson, Beaverdams, Lake moodie and Alanburg, but refering to everything as Lake Gibson or Lake Moodie.... here is a pic of a couple 19" LM i caught in Beaverdams last year... 19" LM and his brother .... I was out with Tommy on upper gibson beside Merritville Hwy when we saw a 3lb (or so) Smallie caught....

I used to fish gibson for pike, but never bothered with moodie.... however, this year i think that's gonna change and i'm gonna concentrate mainly on the Gibson/Moodie/beaverdams system... i'd be happy to have someone show me the roaps or even someone to learn the system with...

12311[/snapback]

Hey Spanky,

Thanx for the pics :lol: I think that Lake Moodie ranks low on many people's fishing radar, since despite being right in the center of Niagara, it is quite well concealed...especially from Decew road with the high "caged" stone embankments.

I'm somewhat curious as to what areas are safe from "OPG harrassment". Damn, I used to work for this company in different locations (not Decew) before moving to greener pastures. The Decew falls generating station is a remotely controlled site.....which has computer data and video links to a control center in Allanburg.

Hopefully the OPG staff aren't too militant against shore anglers, I have no idea what would happen if you put a canoe in their waters. I thought water access was governed under Federal law, but since its hard to get a straight answer as to shoreline/beach rights on a popular area (i.e. Lake Erie), who knows???

I'm assumming that property (i.e property next to water bodies) can be owned, but I thought the water body itself was public property (Riparian issues). I'm not a lawyer, so I can't verify any of this.

Does anyone have any input as to the legality to fishing such areas as Lake Moodie? I'm sure no one wants the nuisance of a "Trespassing Fine" :worthy:

Thanks,

Chris.

I think OPG restrictions are on the lower part of lake gibson, right across from moodie. There are "no tresspassing" signs posted along the shore, whic would mean that the atr itsel is off limits... Lake Moodie and the upper part of lake gibson don't have any posted signs of any sorts, actually lake moodie has the fish consumption" signs posted, which i take it to mean it's okay to fish....

Guest leadhead

technosis i have only ever seen privet security people. they have never told me to leave an area i was fishing in. they warn me that cars parked in front of gates would be removed if hydro needed access. iv seen a few moterized cartoppers and canoes ther over the years

Archived