Green Ribbon trail tonight

Luvevolution

well, we managed to sneak another fishing night in tonight and decided to do the Green Ribbon Trail at Martindale pond. absolutely nuthin going on there tonight. plenty of big fish jumping like crazy, but nuthin biting. I tried a surface frog spinner bait and didn't get any luck whatsoever. not even live bait was working. I'm thinking the water is too shallow and too warm for the fish to bite........makes sense to me anyway.

we did get to watch a Coyote kill a Canada Goose and swim off with it across the pond, to eat it on the island and, the rest of the flock took off and sounded pretty PO'd about it. too bad for the goose, but it was cool to watch nature at work.

well, at least we think it was a Coyote anyway. the doggy paddling going on was really heavy thumping of the water and sounded quite large, so I'm wondering if it was something bigger than a Coyote. my wife said the noise, "disturbed her to the point where she won't forget the sound for a long time". I know Cougars have been spotted in the area, so I'm wondering?????????????????????????? hmmmmmmmmm. all I could see in the dark was splashing legs and a head, with a goose dangling out of each side of the head, Squawking in pain and then a bone crushing chomp and silence. the other geese were obviously disturbed and frightened and took off.....................there were between 50 and 100 in total all cramming to get into the air ASAP.

if you know the area at all. we were on the north side of the bridge and whatever this was, was directly on the south side of the bridge and pounced into the water after attacking the goose and swam across to the southern island. I think it got spooked by our huge work light as I hauled ass to throw a rock at it to make it let go of the goose..........hey, I was trying to do my good deed for the goose. guess it didn't work out that way though.

Let the yotes have the geese. He was doing a good job of cleaning them up. If you think yotes are overpopulated just look at the geese. We need more hunters with willing farmers to let us bring the goose numbers down. Must have been neat to see though. 50-100 geese all crammed in there pooping ecvery 15 minutes? Gee no wonder the fish weren't biting :P

Let the yotes have the geese. He was doing a good job of cleaning them up. If you think yotes are overpopulated just look at the geese. We need more hunters with willing farmers to let us bring the goose numbers down. Must have been neat to see though. 50-100 geese all crammed in there pooping ecvery 15 minutes? Gee no wonder the fish weren't biting :P

LOL, that's probably true. there were some big suckers jumping though......when I cast my bait into a pocket, this huge sucker grabbed at my sinker and rolled under and spit it out. too bad it wasn't the hook. LOL. the thing is, I'm not sure if it was a coyote. coyote's are fairly light, generally less than 40 pounds max, and this sucker sounded heavy in the water. thud thud thud as it doggy paddled over to the island. and it made hardly any noise when it entered the water, just some really really large ripples in the water coming under the bridge. this is when I thought better of throwing a rock. LOL. I saw the outline in the water, but couldn't really judge size. all I know is that it sounded larger than a coyote. but what do I know. LOL.

as far as coyote population, I think we need em, based on the growing geese population and also the rabbits. I can't believe how many there are around here. you never saw em up untill recently, or hardly ever. now you can barely drive up the street without seeing a whole bunch of em. weird.

LOL, that's probably true. there were some big suckers jumping though......when I cast my bait into a pocket, this huge sucker grabbed at my sinker and rolled under and spit it out. too bad it wasn't the hook. LOL. the thing is, I'm not sure if it was a coyote. coyote's are fairly light, generally less than 40 pounds max, and this sucker sounded heavy in the water. thud thud thud as it doggy paddled over to the island. and it made hardly any noise when it entered the water, just some really really large ripples in the water coming under the bridge. this is when I thought better of throwing a rock. LOL. I saw the outline in the water, but couldn't really judge size. all I know is that it sounded larger than a coyote. but what do I know. LOL.

as far as coyote population, I think we need em, based on the growing geese population and also the rabbits. I can't believe how many there are around here. you never saw em up untill recently, or hardly ever. now you can barely drive up the street without seeing a whole bunch of em. weird.

I remember when I was first starting to fish I didn't pinch on my split-shot good enough and a bullhead kept eating my sinkers :P

No we really dont need coyotes in the numbers that I know there is right. Niagara on the Lake is yote infested and anyone who hunts or lives in NOTL , would tell you the same thing. As for rabbits, they are nice to have around, i am a hunter of some what 18 years and rabbits are great eating and makle a great day of small game hunting.

Other areas that coyotes are becoming a problem are . Pelham/Fenwick,. welland, port Colb, tons around the ascarpement

Dan

I'm serious when I say that carp eat and search out goose guano. Some carp anglers use it in there groundbait (chum) Just when you think you've heard it all eh :lol:

Dan

I'm serious when I say that carp eat and search out goose guano. Some carp anglers use it in there groundbait (chum) Just when you think you've heard it all eh :blink:

:P:lol::blink:

Hairwig, too much information :wub::wub:

I've never had too much of a problem with coyotes until they stop fearing people. We've got tons of them over in the rural part of Allanburg, and you can hear them most nights. Usually, the packs stay away from our houses, lights, or noises, but we once had a single coyote get a little to brave and start going up to our barn and into our horses paddocks. Must've been a smart little bugger, because he stood around while we were watching him, but took off the minute our Dad brought out the gun. We also had one hit the electric fence once when he was getting a little too interested in one of the foals. Needless to say he didn't give it a second shot.

But I've gotta say, every time I hear a couple of them bring down a deer or something, it sounds pretty darn scary. When I was younger, we were listening to them once while they were killing a deer, and the deer made such an awful noise we went down the road in the truck to make sure it was really a deer they killed.

Better to eat the goose than you... Did u stay and keep fishing or did you go home after that...?

LOL, true. yeah, we stayed for a while after that happened. there was a bit more commotion upstream, which resulted in more birds taking off. we still didn't catch anything and left around 1:30am cause my wife was spooked by that and by a raccoon gorging himself in the nearby garbage can. LOL. .

I asked my buddy about it when we were out for coffee tonight......he owns Westport driving range, which backs onto that creek. he says they have a large coyote problem in that creek and on their driving range at night. but they don't look like regular coyote's........they are larger and darker in colour.

another buddy of mine was there who grew up on Martindale Rd. back in the 50's. he said that since then till present, there have been sightings of some unidentifiable creature in the 12 mile creek, that's fairly large and doesn't come on land. wonder if anyone else has ever heard about this. kiind of our own local Loch Ness monster. LOL.

I have to correct myself, not only is there coyotes, but there is coy dogs , which is a bread of another type of dog that mixed into the coyote down the line which in the end thats why these coyotes are so big and end up looking like wolves, ive seen all black ones in notl and all white ones. A real coyote has shorter body with a bushier tail, sometimes smaller in size they are very abudant ,but alot of them are coy dogs, act exactly like coyotes , but the run and walk slightly different and they get much taller and bigger.

I have to correct myself, not only is there coyotes, but there is coy dogs , which is a bread of another type of dog that mixed into the coyote down the line which in the end thats why these coyotes are so big and end up looking like wolves, ive seen all black ones in notl and all white ones. A real coyote has shorter body with a bushier tail, sometimes smaller in size they are very abudant ,but alot of them are coy dogs, act exactly like coyotes , but the run and walk slightly different and they get much taller and bigger.

that makes a lot of sense. my buddy said the same thing about his driving range and this thing sounded much bigger than a normal coyote that would be kinda border collie size. this thing was thumping the water with a vengeance. LOL. AND, it was obviously hunting in the water along the weed/bullrush line in the water. it was completely silent till it hit the flock of geese, then all hell broke loose. I didn't even think about being scared or anything cause I was too busy thinking it was the coolest thing I'de ever seen, but my wife wasn't impressed too much. LOL.

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

Sounds like an interesting night. I have never heard the story about the creature in the 12, however I know there are reports of a cougar/panther in the area of the 12. It was spotted a few years back around the Ridley College area and was in the St. Catharines Substandard, a week after the spotting it was all forgotten about. Supposedly the locals around the school know about it.

There was one down by Montrose rd, 5 years back, They ended up capturing it. It was some idiot who thought it was cool to raise these things from cubs, but then they got to big and he didnot know what to do with them so he let them go..,I guess he was to afraid to get caught by the police or animal contol or something. So he let them go in the bush. Smart guy eh!!!

There was one down by Montrose rd, 5 years back, They ended up capturing it. It was some idiot who thought it was cool to raise these things from cubs, but then they got to big and he didnot know what to do with them so he let them go..,I guess he was to afraid to get caught by the police or animal contol or something. So he let them go in the bush. Smart guy eh!!!

well, I can tell you one thing.......my wife and I were up at lake Gibson in early August and went for a walk on the boardwalk at the eco park on Decew Rd. as soon as we got to the water, we saw one of the biggest carp I have ever seen in my life, although floating and a little bit dead. as we made our way towards the 406, Shawna noticed some tracks in the mud along the shoreline and asked me to come look. at first examination from about 10 feet away, I said, "aaaaaah forget it, it's just dog tracks". she says, "well, if this is a dog, it's the biggest damn dog I've ever seen".........or something to that effect. so of course, I have to take a closer inspection now that my interest level is piqued. when I get closer, I am amazed at what I'm seeing. the paw prints are the size, or slightly bigger than my hand. no nail/claw marks at all (since cats can retract their claws), just teardrop shaped paw pad prints in the mud. and the gate of the walk on this thing is absolutely huge...........almost a meter per stride and single file. of course, I'm running through my head every possibility before I rule on this, so now I'm having flashbacks from University Bio classes, trying to figure out what this is..........even though in my mind, I've already made my conclusions as to what this is. when I get home, I make a few inquiries and come to find out that I was right in my assessment......................it's a Cougar. and a big one, to boot. makes ya wanna hang out there at night, eh? LOL.

Archived