A few more splake today

Hacknslash

Went back to Gander Lake again. Spent most of the day hacking new holes and exploring different depths. Ended up with these 3 splake, the top one being just over a pound. Opened up thier bellies and found that they are feeding on tiny bluegill!!!! Ate the biggest one for supper. Nice pink meat and tasty as hell!!

DSCF6949.jpg

Now. that's prime eatin right there ! The last splake I saw had beautiful orange fillets .....looked good enough to eat sushi style B) What are the limits of splake & specks or combo of the 2 fish in that region ?

I wouldn't eat them raw smerch. Was reading the latest Ontario out of Doors mag and an article about fish parasites. Laketrout seem to be the most affected with tapeworms and a splake is just a cross between a speckie and a laker. Are they still hatching these things, I thought they were a hybrid that was discontinued? Beautiful fish. Sure would like to see some pics at the catch site when they are still colourfull.

Yes Chilli splake seem to be a well used stocking fish up here. Camera has been crapping out in the cold for some reason. I will be headed back out for splake around the 29th with my daughter. Will try to get some more colourful pictures then.

I wouldn't eat them raw smerch. Was reading the latest Ontario out of Doors mag and an article about fish parasites. Laketrout seem to be the most affected with tapeworms and a splake is just a cross between a speckie and a laker. Are they still hatching these things, I thought they were a hybrid that was discontinued? Beautiful fish. Sure would like to see some pics at the catch site when they are still colourfull.

Those appear to be true Splake, 1/2 Laker 1/2 Spec. The ones that were discontinued, I think , were the backcross Laker ones, mostly Laker genes, that were stocked heavy in Georgian Bay during the eighties and nineties. We used to get a wack of them fishing the Bighead and the Beaver in the fall for steelies, of course they were OOS after the end of September ;)

Don't seem to encounter them any more, nice fish BTW

Went back to Gander Lake again. Spent most of the day hacking new holes and exploring different depths. Ended up with these 3 splake, the top one being just over a pound. Opened up thier bellies and found that they are feeding on tiny bluegill!!!! Ate the biggest one for supper. Nice pink meat and tasty as hell!!

DSCF6949.jpg

hey hacknslash how are the lakes up that way, how much ice is there??

I just bought a camp there last yr. Jason

Heading out in about an hour with my daughter. Going to walk back into Ellisam Lake across from Fack Lake. Last time I was there , it had 6" ice. Will post ice thicknesses or you Jason. Presently people are fishing on Horne and Gander also. Seems to be lots of good ice up here!

Heading out in about an hour with my daughter. Going to walk back into Ellisam Lake across from Fack Lake. Last time I was there , it had 6" ice. Will post ice thicknesses or you Jason. Presently people are fishing on Horne and Gander also. Seems to be lots of good ice up here!

I have never fished Gander lake but we have fished Flag lake before with limited results. It is great to see you take your daughter fishing with you. Never fished Ellisam lake before, is there a walking trail into the lake? If not then how do you access the lake? I am just curious about the ice fishing up there in elliot lake area, I have always wanted to come up but for me its a very long drive.

thank you for your response. Jason

Archived