Rec Canal

RJR

Just got back in from the canal at townline rd. There is 3 to 4 inches of ice throughout that area, Tried a few spots but none of the fish cooperated. It was sunny out but the wind was bitter, but the fresh air is good for you right? Oh well I'll try again Sunday

Thanks for the ice report Rick ! Less than a week ago I saw open water there ,but in a few more days there will be a good 8" there ......very low temps for the next week or so I hope to try the other end of the rec near Ont.St..>oo00}> :Gonefishing:

Soon enough Bill and we'll be good to go all over with these temps. I was in Port C (Gravelley Bay... the marina in particular)) New Year's Eve. It looked like it was close until the rain and subsequent warmer temps. For some reason I'm really excited about ice fishing this season... who knew? :Gonefishing:

Alex

Anything is possible in there, but I believe the main quarry is perch, pike and smelt.

Its the kind of place that'll need one full season to develop a pattern or system for different species.

Thanks for the info. I just checked it out online. It's 7 1/2 Kilometers long. Thats a lot of area to cover! I guess just look for old holes and flopping fish marks in the snow. :Gonefishing:

Fish finder, a rough map and record and observe. Its deep enough to house some brutes in there.

This is very true. i can't quite remember but I think there is 40-50' there in the middle. Might be like 35' either way she's deep. When we lived in Welland there was always this older chap there with a bucket almost every day it seemed perchin'.... I'm assuming he was perchin'. I've done well for pike in the past on Merritt as well.

Alex

I wouldn't be surprised if there is sunken structure somewhere that will hold crappie and maybe walleye. But again, it needs methodical approaches and dedication to cracking the mystery. I'm sure there is huge perch in there too.

Is the old canal land locked?

It's a typical canal like the Welland Ship canal , about 35 feet deep in the centre . It drops sharply from shore at about 45 degrees . Just a few feet from shore it is over your head , be careful when the shoreline ice is thin .When we use the hut we don't move often , we wait for the fish to visit us .The pike seem to roam all over from the shallower weed beds to the open depths in the middle at 30 plus feet . I like the fact that the water is always clear & the bait can be easily seen by the fish .

Is the old canal land locked?

Not land locked. It is open at the north end into the active canal. There are also some cross connect openings in the aqueduct to allow water from the canal to flow in the river. The south end is closed off at Townline road. Then there is the southern section where the rowing club is. That section is open to the working canal.

I like the fact that the water is always clear & the bait can be easily seen by the fish .

I drove by there today at the 406 end. It makes me wanna try swinging flies (big streamers) by the train bridge for pike.

Alex

Went to the rec today right off of townline rd. Ice was a little sketchy anywhere from 2 to 4.5". One wack with the spud and seen water in a few places. Wasn't very comforting. Did get one small O.O.S smallie for my efforts. Be careful when going out!!!!

Niagarafisher

There will be no fish there come Saturday 3 more inches and we will plow a track. Cant wait next best thing to fishing on ice is to race on it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jw

Does that mean we can't fish on your canal! :worthy::worthy::angry:

Cheers gil

6" is the least ice I will ride on The canal at the end of my street has 3" on the shore.There was tracks all the way across. Thay were not mine to thin for me.

jacqus was that you shoveling snow around your hut to day.

Jeff

There will be no fish there come Saturday 3 more inches and we will plow a track. Cant wait next best thing to fishing on ice is to race on it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jw

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that no motoized vehicles were allowed on the canal. If boats aren't allowed I would think that motorcycles aren't either.

your nutzzzz !!!!!!! there is way better spots to ice fish then the Rec. We are going ice fishing for pike and crappies before we go riding. If you want to go shoot me a pm?

Jeff

If there are better spots to fish than the Rec there must be better spots for bikes also. :rolleyes::rolleyes::worthy::rolleyes:

Archived