Rec Canal

RJR

I've seen both bikes and snowmobiles on the rec canal . I guess hard water is different .......but if the snow machine goes through the ice then we are talking soft water which is a no-no :rolleyes:

I don't use a gas auger there either ....... :rolleyes:

If there are better spots to fish than the Rec there must be better spots for bikes also. :rolleyes::rolleyes::worthy::rolleyes:

My buddy's have been ridding on the REC for 15+ years with no trouble. The Rec is wide open no homes Wide open to go wide open. Its all in good fun.

Jeff

My buddy's have been ridding on the REC for 15+ years with no trouble. The Rec is wide open no homes Wide open to go wide open. Its all in good fun.

Jeff

I don't have a problem with responsible bikers but I do have a problem when 1 or 2 start circling me at an unsafe distance and come within 20' of me at a high rate of speed. All they have to do is lose control and I am toast. Stay around your track or a safe distance near people fishing and have fun.

I've seen both bikes and snowmobiles on the rec canal . I guess hard water is different .......but if the snow machine goes through the ice then we are talking soft water which is a no-no :rolleyes:

I don't use a gas auger there either ....... :worthy:

I think that the reason you don't use a gas auger is because you don't have one. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another thread lost.......Come on guys its a fishing site. do we really care about a few guys are out there on the ice with motor bikes. Its a 7 mile canal, lots of room for everyone. Lets get back to talking about fishing and not bitching about what other people are doing just because they are not fishing. JeffW I respect that you enjoy the sport of ice riding but i suggest you keep it to yourself because on this site everyone will jump all over you because apperantly a few guys on this site think they own the world and fishermen or gods among us. Whats next the kids can't skate on the canal or sled down the banks???? Enjoy your riding out there and i'll enjoy my fishing. Cheers and be safe.!!!!

I think that the reason you don't use a gas auger is because you don't have one. :rolleyes::worthy:

Well , you are right capt ......remember my "electric" auger that blew up on the rec ? :worthy: I was trying to go "green" but that idea "back fired " :rolleyes: . See you out there soon ,with my new Finbore hand job . :rolleyes:

Well , you are right capt ......remember my "electric" auger that blew up on the rec ? :rolleyes: I was trying to go "green" but that idea "back fired " :rolleyes: . See you out there soon ,with my new Finbore hand job . :rolleyes:

How can I forget. I still wake up nights to a flash. Going out shortly

Another thread lost.......Come on guys its a fishing site. do we really care about a few guys are out there on the ice with motor bikes. Its a 7 mile canal, lots of room for everyone. Lets get back to talking about fishing and not bitching about what other people are doing just because they are not fishing. JeffW I respect that you enjoy the sport of ice riding but i suggest you keep it to yourself because on this site everyone will jump all over you because apperantly a few guys on this site think they own the world and fishermen or gods among us. Whats next the kids can't skate on the canal or sled down the banks???? Enjoy your riding out there and i'll enjoy my fishing. Cheers and be safe.!!!!

You are missing the point. Lots of room for everybody but I don't appreciate bikes buzzing me when I am 1/2 mi away from their track. Always takes a few idiots to screw things up. I didn't bring the subject of bikes up and I could care less what you think

You are missing the point. Lots of room for everybody but I don't appreciate bikes buzzing me when I am 1/2 mi away from their track. Always takes a few idiots to screw things up. I didn't bring the subject of bikes up and I could care less what you think

Its all good Captnn.

Is it just me, or does captnn seem like a douchebag here? i know he wont care what i think, what with being all knowing and the most important person in the world and all, but no room for others' opinions?

An upfront insult does not help discussions either. The ice is, at the present, public domain, accessible to all. That's fine.

I do see captnn's point. There are numerous inconsiderate types who love to buzz ice anglers on bike and sled. No better than the boater who buzzes a canoe at 60 mph. It is not acceptable behaviour. If you get caught buzzing people on Simcoe the OPP will crucify you. Pity the Niagara donut patrol lacks the necessary resources or savvy to do the same.

At one time you were allowed to power boat on the rec canal, I would do a pre season shakedown there every spring b4 heading out on Lake Ontario for salmon. Then they banned motorboats. It may be sour grapes but there seems to be a double standard being enforced, no powerboats in the summer but bikes , sleds and ATV's in the winter are OK ? :)

my apologies to anyone that had a problem with my post, ill remove it in a sec, need to clear stuff up i guess

ollie-agree, everyone has one, thats my point. as for conversations to evolve? for sure

bigugli-100% shouldnt have insulted, not in grade school, but come from a time when these words are thrown around

willy-nilly, where others arent as apparently offended by them, its just another way of saying jerk, etc. my apologies

captnn- def. see your point of view, and happen to agree completely, its just the last part where mentioned that his

opinion mattered not at all, that got me ruffled.

im new to here, i dont know any of these people personally, and probably will keep my mouth shut next time.

good fishing,

john

So ... ummm.. how is the ice on the canal today?

I hit it with the spud bar in a couple spots at a couple different locations(townline and near the lincoln bridge)yesterday and found that the ice thickness varies depending where you are, anywhere from 3" to 4.5", a couple spots still only had 2.5", and I'm not including the slush on top? I've seen a few sets of tracks crossing the canal but I'm still a bit hesitant about parkin' my but out there. Did anyone try fishing it today?

So ... ummm.. how is the ice on the canal today?

I hit it with the spud bar in a couple spots at a couple different locations(townline and near the lincoln bridge)yesterday and found that the ice thickness varies depending where you are, anywhere from 3" to 4.5", a couple spots still only had 2.5", and I'm not including the slush on top? I've seen a few sets of tracks crossing the canal but I'm still a bit hesitant about parkin' my but out there. Did anyone try fishing it today?

Was out for 4 hrs and kept 20 perch and a 5lb pike. Around 4" of ice. Weight of the snow is bringing water up near shore.

LOL Jeff I think im going to slap some spikes on the sportster and ride this year that would be phenomenal. Last year we were fishing and Jeff and the boys were down there and he pulled a wheelie from lincoln st straight to the end, I was amazed . Ever since watching them on the canal when we were kids always wanted to giver a try.

is anyone catchin fish there.... thats what i would like to know.... who cares about machines on ice its 40 feet deep!!!

Looking for info also, I will be out there friday for sure, maybe tomorrow if i get my hut done, Minnows? or are you using salties? If you see a homemade fold over hut come say hello!

Looking for info also, I will be out there friday for sure, maybe tomorrow if i get my hut done, Minnows? or are you using salties? If you see a homemade fold over hut come say hello!

Spiro, think I may be out there friday also. Have to test out the new hut! If you see one that says shappell s3000 in big letters over the door that's me!

is anyone catchin fish there.... thats what i would like to know.... who cares about machines on ice its 40 feet deep!!!

We got out yesterday... hit Daine City 1st.. there for a little over an hour... with no bites or anything... hit the welland rec in several different spots.. did find one where we pulled in a few nice perch though...

Ice varries depending.. some spots were just over 2 inches, with the most at just under 4.. so be careful out there guys, there are some soft spots still too...

If anyone get's lucky out there, let us know..

Brrrrrrrrrr....too cold to get lucky out there , take your shack & your heater ! <_<

This cold snap is good as it will add another inch or so to the ice . By Monday , you will be much safer in most of the fishing areas in niagara . The smerch sugar shakk is ready to go , hope to take her out Monday or Tuesday.

Archived