Bucket List... so to speak

alexthegrrr8

Hey Gang:

So I'm sitting here at the pc enjoying some time on NFN and I've been thinking. I guess as we age we start to think about certain things. The past, the present, the future and all of the great memories that it will bring that we haven't had yet. So I was thinking a lot about fish that I would love to catch before I die... you know a "bucket list". I'm hoping to get a Striper and an Atlantic this year when we go out east but neither is in my list. Do you have any... maybe 3? If so.. why?

Without further adieu here are mine...

#3 Peacock Bass - I guess it's the entire fly fishing thing that I'm addicted to. These fish are just downright wild to look at. I've heard that the fight is phenomenal.

#2 Tarpon - Again I want to nail one of these silver giants on the fly. Ever since I was a kid.. adolescent I watched guys like Al Lindner catch them on tv. The way that they bust out of the water and the intelligence that they fight with like wrapping the line around bridge abutments and coral fans. Catching one would be a thrill.

#1 Arctic Grayling - I know that this might come surprising but I think it isn't about the fish itself as it would be the likely locale of finding said fish. I think the view and wildlife where I would find myself catching a Grayling would be second to none. It'd be serene, wild and and fore the most part untouched. But the Arctic Grayling with it's colour and dorsal fin make it very majestic. They love to take flies.. especially dries and when they hit they apparently leap out of the water.

There are others that I want to catch like a Gar on the fly, a Lake Trout and the Atlantic and Striper as mentioned. How about you?

Alex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Bonefish

2) Peacock Bass

3) Buffalo (small/large mouth)

Ahhhhhh yes! Bonefish an excellent choice that was knocked out by the Peacock. I wouldn't mind a Barramundi as well. Admittedly 'm not familiar with the Buffalo so I Googled it. Found this tidbit...

http://www.bizarrenews.org/content/view/118/1/

I don't know if that been seen here before or not.

Alex

wow thats one messed up fish haha.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/4/2/1/1/1/...il_2008_004.jpg

thats from a buffalo/carp guide in texas. I think they look real cool [albeit very similar to common carp] but what i really like is the black eyes. They are native to north america. Essentially this is the north american version of common carp.

Guest UglyFish
wow thats one messed up fish haha.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/4/2/1/1/1/...il_2008_004.jpg

thats from a buffalo/carp guide in texas. I think they look real cool [albeit very similar to common carp] but what i really like is the black eyes. They are native to north america. Essentially this is the north american version of common carp.

also native to our waters, and on the MNR's watch list for protected species. since the 70's i think only 5 have been reported caught to the MNR. i can proudly say i caught the last one reported from waters in the niagara/haldimond area.

Okay... now that's a cool looking fish. Nice big, ole hoss there. Uglyfish... that's really cool.

Alex

#1-Marlin

#2-Big grouper

#3-Alligator Gar...Been obsessed with these evr since watching a fishing show with them many years back.

I saw an episode with Dave Mercer on The Score. He was down in Texas chasing them I think???? Gnarly critters for sure... they're wild.

Alex

I don't have a long term wish list but I have ashort term one.

1) to catch a common carp 40# or over

2) to catch a common carp bigger than 1)

3) to catch a common carp even bigger than 2)

Any body know where such beasties are lurking?

Inconnu

Arctic char

Barbel

BARBEL! Now that's one i forgot about; those fish are incredible scrappers. I love watching UK barbel vids, the action is intense, specially when they are 6lbs+. They put one hell of a bend in a rod.

Also, i should of added, tench to that list. Another great scrapper.

If you haven't noticed, i only like hard fighting fish haha.

I don't have a long term wish list but I have ashort term one.

1) to catch a common carp 40# or over

2) to catch a common carp bigger than 1)

3) to catch a common carp even bigger than 2)

Any body know where such beasties are lurking?

NIAGARA RIVER...I have seen some real beasts in there. I have hooked into a few that would be in and around the 40 pound mark!

NIAGARA RIVER...I have seen some real beasts in there. I have hooked into a few that would be in and around the 40 pound mark!

I am assuming you mean the upper. I plan to fish it a little more this year. It would be a blast to hook a big one in that current.

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

I would love to get into a carp in the 45 pound range.

I would also love to head down to florida and target bonefish on some light action gear

I would also love to head to Alaska and hook into one of those big salmon in the 50+ pound range

- Greenback Cutthroat trout ( on the fly )

GreenbackCTT.jpg

- Apache Trout ( on the fly )

apachetrout.jpg

- Bonefish ( on the fly of course )

BARBEL! Now that's one i forgot about; those fish are incredible scrappers. I love watching UK barbel vids, the action is intense, specially when they are 6lbs+. They put one hell of a bend in a rod.

Also, i should of added, tench to that list. Another great scrapper.

If you haven't noticed, i only like hard fighting fish haha.

there is rumored to be tench on the richelieu river in quebec one was caught some time ago dont know when though

there is rumored to be tench on the richelieu river in quebec one was caught some time ago dont know when though

I'd drive all the way there, just to catch tench on my ultra light. Would be a blast. But id still bring the carp gear, just in case there were some double figure tench lol. Those fish can scrap.

I had to think really hard about the last one but here's my list

1) Marlin

2) Striper 60+

3) Another snakehead so I could bring it back for Bassmaster12 :oB)

<_< Just kidding on the 3rd one I would say Tarpon or a big tuna

:Gonefishing: that would be epically awesome Joe but im not a deep sea person

Archived