Bucket List... so to speak

alexthegrrr8

I'd drive all the way there, just to catch tench on my ultra light. Would be a blast. But id still bring the carp gear, just in case there were some double figure tench lol. Those fish can scrap.

and Ill come as well you aint going to find em with out me <_<

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey folks. I'm new on the site and thought this topic would be as good as any for my first post.

I seldom use anything but a fly these days, and there's a very long list of fish I'd like to take on a fly one day, but the top three have got to be:

1) Shark (Blues or Porbeagles will be fine. . . I've caught both on conventional tackle before. Don't want any part of a Mako on a fly)

2) Muskie (just to say I did it).

3) Grouper (some of those beasts can go 600 pounds plus)!

Some others I'd like to catch on a fly just to say I did it would be any of the Pacific Salmon, a big Channel Cat, Sturgeon and larger Carp (yes, I'm told that any of these can be caught on a fly)

Hey folks. I'm new on the site and thought this topic would be as good as any for my first post.

I seldom use anything but a fly these days, and there's a very long list of fish I'd like to take on a fly one day, but the top three have got to be:

1) Shark (Blues or Porbeagles will be fine. . . I've caught both on conventional tackle before. Don't want any part of a Mako on a fly)

Some others I'd like to catch on a fly just to say I did it would be any of the Pacific Salmon, a big Channel Cat, Sturgeon and larger Carp (yes, I'm told that any of these can be caught on a fly)

They had a fly fishing event last year for carp in Hamilton Harbour and I have watched a guy get a 20+ carp on a fly. The favourite is a wooly bugger.

:D

We can fish the st lawrence for carp on the way. Lots of beauty carp in there.

than what are you waiting for :lol::D

Welcome to the board Coachman yeah those groupers can get pretty big

grouper1.jpg

Welcome aboard the board. I hear ya when it comes to only taking fish with the fly. After not fishing for 5 years I put a fly rod in my hand and I haven't looked back. I use a two-hande now as well. Like the moniker... I just tied a Coachman Bucktail.

Furthermore, I'm glad that this thread got soem responses. I was really curious how other guys felt. Looks like Tarpon have gotten a lot of votes/attention.

Alex

They had a fly fishing event last year for carp in Hamilton Harbour and I have watched a guy get a 20+ carp on a fly. The favourite is a wooly bugger.

LOL.. I hooked into a 25lb carp on my 5 wt in Duffeerin Islands last year. LOL ... what was I thinking even trying that? It gladly hit a beadhead nymph. Prince to be exact.

Alex

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I'm originally from Nova Scotia although I've been in Hamilton over 22 years now. When I was home a year and a half ago, I spent a very enjoyable day shark fishing. I don't know the site's policy on linking commercial sites, but if anyone is interested in adding blue or porbeagle shark to their "done" list (the occasional mako), get in touch with me and I'll give you the link for the charter captain. Just remind him to bring his fly tackle (the first mate forgot it that day).

I know about the carp fly-fishing tournament in Hamilton. I'd like to participate one day, but they have a limited number of slots and they're all filled up this year already.

The coachman is one of my favorite flies. I tie it in about half a dozen variations from streamer down to a no-hackle royal coachman.

That is one big grouper, Smokin Joe! Can you imagine something like that on a fly?

• 4 years later...

More me it would be ocean fish more so because I've never been to the ocean.

Any of the mid sized tuna, shark, bluefish, cod, mahi-mahi, piranha.

Whoa there Drifter .....those piranhas can bite ! :o Since I know my choice will be limited to Ontario , specifically the Lake Ontario area , I hope to land my first "over 30#" carp , a 20# bow would be nice , and a 20# (plus) pike or ski would be icing on the cake . At my age the bar is set lower to even up the odds a tad . Catching a 15" perch or crappie would also make this dude grin from ear to ear . :santa:

I hope Darth Wader is doing well ......I miss Alex's interesting posts ....

Arctic char are beautiful fish ! I would be more than happy to catch this monster spekkie .......I would have a hard time releasing this baby ......

spekkie.jpg

Archived