Jan 18/10---ice time

packrat

What a loooong day this was!!!!

Met up with Joe at 5:30, transferred my shtuff into his car and on the road. Three hours later, couple wrong turns later and we pull into our destination outside of Beaverton(where the heck is Beaverton?? :D )

Get dropped off at OUR hut for the day, heater on and a bucket of minnies and we're good to go.

Joe starts the action off almost as soon as he drops the line in-----looked like I had the hind one for awhile but finally started to catch up. That's the way it went all day, the perch would come in like bunches of grapes then nothing for awhile. Was a little flurry of hits around three then died off and would just get the odd one or two until we got picked up at 4:30ish.

Ended up with around 20 mixed bag, few "jumbos" rest just average. The ride in was something else as its starting to get dark and we're out around three miles. Lake ice was pretty rough with some areas having push iced piled up. Back at the parking lot around 5:30, three hours later, couple wrong turns later and we're finally HOME :D:worthy: Was an interesting day to say the least. Thanks Joe for do the arrangement with the operator and doing all the driving.

And that's all she wrote-------------well almost.

No report from me wouldnt be complete without a "happening". This one no different.

Sunday I go out to crappy tire and pick up another ice rod and a few other goodies. This rod was giving me fits, had those slip rings to hold the reel on which didnt work worth a $%#$. So there we are with two rods each and every so often I had to check the NEW one to make sure the $%$# reel wasnt going to fall off(turned out this was the least of my worries). At one point get distracted by a hit on the OTHER rod then suddenly Joe hollers that number two was headed for the drink until I rescued it. Some time goes by without event then once again I'm busy with the OTHER rod, get another hit on #2, make a grab for it and Oh#%%$#@ right into the drink it goes, double Oh #%%$#

Not to worry says Joe I'll see if I can hook it with a lure. No luck here and I'm kissing my NEW rod bye bye. Resigning myself to losing the rod carry on until I get a fish one. What's this as I bring fish up there's another line and lure tangled up with it. Take a closer look and son of a gun its my "lost" rod and reel. Carefully reel it in, shake the water out of the reel and put the $%$# thing away out of harms way. :lol:

Way to go packrat.......glad to hear you and Joe had a fun day.....funny stuff about the rod down the hole.....did the same thing a week ago....got it back too.....did you end up going with Tim Hales?

No pics?

Good fishing. Scottydog

Haha, great story, we had something similar happen to us on Nipissing this year. Guy got a pike on a small rod, it wrapped up in 3 lines (we only knew it was in 2) and down the hole a rod goes. Get the fish up and start untangling, low and behold the other rod comes up the hole on the opposite side of the condo! Also had it happen where ya don't get the rod back either, thats when it sucks, but glad to hear it all worked out for you!!

Way to go packrat.......glad to hear you and Joe had a fun day.....funny stuff about the rod down the hole.....did the same thing a week ago....got it back too.....did you end up going with Tim Hales?

No pics?

Good fishing. Scottydog

Yeah Scott we used Tim Hales, good outfit. Will put up a couple pics later after I recuperate a bit more. Will even take a pic of the "survivor" of Davey Jones locker just for fun.

Like I said earlier first time out on Simcoe, took a few pics of all the huts out there. For a noob its kinda scary? to look around with no landmarks to give you a clue where you are and know you're standing on ice over 25-30 feet deep.

Cheers Gord

hey ole timer HAHAHA was a real pleasure my friend :worthy: hope you had a good day on the hard water, you looked like you were having the time of you life there :D

i was gonna take a few kodac moment shots of gord but didnt thunk he would have appreciated those kinda shots :D like the rod and reel being brought back up lol

or digging hooks outa his fingers hahaha but that chite happens to the best of us huh :lol:

if any of you guys have not had the pleasure of fishing with the ole bugger then you dont know what your missing !

again my friend was a pleasure getting out fishing with you again, even tho you swiped all the fish lolololololol

What a loooong day this was!!!!

Met up with Joe at 5:30, transferred my shtuff into his car and on the road. Three hours later, couple wrong turns later and we pull into our destination outside of Beaverton(where the heck is Beaverton?? :D )

Get dropped off at OUR hut for the day, heater on and a bucket of minnies and we're good to go.

Joe starts the action off almost as soon as he drops the line in-----looked like I had the hind one for awhile but finally started to catch up. That's the way it went all day, the perch would come in like bunches of grapes then nothing for awhile. Was a little flurry of hits around three then died off and would just get the odd one or two until we got picked up at 4:30ish.

Ended up with around 20 mixed bag, few "jumbos" rest just average. The ride in was something else as its starting to get dark and we're out around three miles. Lake ice was pretty rough with some areas having push iced piled up. Back at the parking lot around 5:30, three hours later, couple wrong turns later and we're finally HOME :D:worthy: Was an interesting day to say the least. Thanks Joe for do the arrangement with the operator and doing all the driving.

And that's all she wrote-------------well almost.

No report from me wouldnt be complete without a "happening". This one no different.

Sunday I go out to crappy tire and pick up another ice rod and a few other goodies. This rod was giving me fits, had those slip rings to hold the reel on which didnt work worth a $%#$. So there we are with two rods each and every so often I had to check the NEW one to make sure the $%$# reel wasnt going to fall off(turned out this was the least of my worries). At one point get distracted by a hit on the OTHER rod then suddenly Joe hollers that number two was headed for the drink until I rescued it. Some time goes by without event then once again I'm busy with the OTHER rod, get another hit on #2, make a grab for it and Oh#%%$#@ right into the drink it goes, double Oh #%%$#

Not to worry says Joe I'll see if I can hook it with a lure. No luck here and I'm kissing my NEW rod bye bye. Resigning myself to losing the rod carry on until I get a fish one. What's this as I bring fish up there's another line and lure tangled up with it. Take a closer look and son of a gun its my "lost" rod and reel. Carefully reel it in, shake the water out of the reel and put the $%$# thing away out of harms way. :lol:

To secure your reel to the rod criss cross a plastic self locking tie across the reel and tighten it.

" To secure your reel to the rod criss cross a plastic self locking tie across the reel and tighten it."

Captnn----had one of those ON the rod when I bought it-----thot it would get in the way when using the rod soooooooo took it OFF :D

Couple of pics:

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

First of the day for me

If you havent lost your lunch yet after looking at the "beauty" shot heres a couple more:

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

And the survivor of the little trip and Jim Dandy to the rescue:

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Finally sorry bout that Joe---will take good care of them for ya :lol:

hope they are tastey bud ;) should be a good meal or 2 for ya, you know they say fish is brain food right :lol:

you just might be needing it at your age brother HAHAHAHA :D LMAO @ beauty shot :worthy::lol:

tape that sucker on tight buddy, just hold onto it next time sheeeeeeeeez never seen anyone get so excited that

they gives their brand spanking new rod and reel a bath hahaha :D but it happens more than we hear about i bet !

ps ....im having some fresh walters tonight for diner, would of invited ya but i knew you are having fish yaself :D

So, there is obviously more than 1 pair of grumpy old men at NFN. Well done guys. Glad the day worked out despite the drama.

The plastic reel rings are worthless. Zip ties or electrical tape all the way. I learnt the hard way as well :blink:

Nice going .....ya rookies !!! :blink: It's gotta be good when ya bring up the doubles eh Gord .....makes you think you hooked a lunker ling or something ! Many a pole has gone down the hole , some because a fish decided to take your weapons , or you just bumped/kicked it in , but glad to see you got it back . Ya those rings are cheap & break easy . I don't tighten them too much , then add elect.tape , does the trick ! I have fished with both of you varmits and couldn't ask for better company to fish with ....that's because we come from the same pot ! :D We got some good ice fishing here guys....come for a visit and have some fun !

Thanks for the great report and pics packrat nice to see you guys had a good time :blink: I have a bunch of the plastic ties I'll drop a bag or two off with the Smerch I'm sure he'll see ya long before I do. Hey Joe when are you and pauline heading this way to do some fishing? :D

Archived