Feb 09/10

packrat

Spent the day with my good buddy Joe back at LAKE SIMCOE for a shot at some lakers/whitefish.

Actually made good time on the road up inspite of me being late ( I'm never late :blush: ) Arrived at the outfitter in plenty of time and after a ride to our location in a Bombardier (talk about comfort) set up shop. Should also mention we didnt get lost this time. :rolleyes:

Asked the guide how deep we were fishing (65 fow), checked around the huts and saw someone had some LUCK by the blood on the ice. That was going to be the only luck we saw today.

We tried---half/half williams, tube jigs, jiggin raps, tipups c/w spreaders, spreaders on a rod but mostly a lot of praying was being done. At one point checked on a group of 4 that came out with us after a couple hours NADA. Said they only saw ONE fish on their camera.

So we tried and tried and tried and by 2ish had just about enough of this and threw in the towel. Begged and pleaded to be taken in early so came off the ice around 3:30.

Just in time to hit the rush hour traffic on the drive home YUCK!!!!!, and run into the leading edge of the flurries by the time we got to Hamilton.

Final score was one each of the stinky for us but not complaining sorta expected a tough day up there anyway judging from the reports I've read.

We'll beat 'em up next time Joe----but not this year B)

To bad on the skunks ,

i found in the past couple times ive been up there your guide might be running you a little shallow. 80 FOW seemed to be the ticket for me most times , not to say fish dont get caught in 65 FOW or 40 for that matter but somewhere around 75-80 was working nice

i've gotten all my white fish on the williams half and half right on bottom and lil jigging motions like 6 inches

you'll get em next time Thanks for the report

To bad on the skunks ,

i found in the past couple times ive been up there your guide might be running you a little shallow. 80 FOW seemed to be the ticket for me most times , not to say fish dont get caught in 65 FOW or 40 for that matter but somewhere around 75-80 was working nice

i've gotten all my white fish on the williams half and half right on bottom and lil jigging motions like 6 inches

you'll get em next time Thanks for the report

Thanks for the reply. Had heard/read deeper was producing but not being mobile sorta cramps your ability to move til you find them.

Being a noob B) had to figure out what kind of jigging style would make the williams dance and flash in a way that was attractive :blush: Not sure if we were jiggin 6 inches or not but an agressive style seemed to put some decent action on them. Looked good to me :rolleyes:

Just in time to hit the rush hour traffic on the drive home YUCK!!!!!, and run into the leading edge of the flurries by the time we got to Hamilton.

What was so bad hitting rush hour traffic? There are plenty of HOV lanes you can use on the way back from up there all the way to Oakville :blush::rolleyes:

Piece of cake... B)

Oh ya too bad about the stinkies... open water is just around the corner!

Guest Rockfish

I don't do alot of ice fishing so am constantly trying to figure out what lures and set ups are best. I did have some luck at the Bayfront a couple weeks ago with a bunch of dink perch and some guys getting keepers but heard the bite has died right off again.

It helped when Darrell (Uglyfish) tried out his new underwater camera and could see schools of dink perch as well as a few gamefish that weren't interested in bait. :blush: It wasn't until the second spot that there were more agressive fish and small perch was some action anyway. Better luck next time Gord and Joe, at least it was a learning experience. :rolleyes:

I was at lake Simcoe last Sunday (Innisfil Beach) and got one white fish around 3.5 lbs...Saw alot of fishes were pulled up ..You have to to to around 100 FOW...be careful for the pressure cracks .If you decided to fish within 60-75 FOW then you will get the yellow perch (use minnows or small jigs).

I may try to do ice fishing again next Sunday and this time i will be inside the hut ...If you fish out side you have chance to move around to find the fishes...but need to dress warm...

Good luck next time

Lnguyen0929

Nice try Gord and Joe . You guys need an oil change ....getting rusty :rolleyes: ha ha ! I can give you a few tips , free :blush: I went out on the ice yesterday ....no stripe on me baby .......got me a nice 6" smelt !! It seems when the fish leave the table , they all go on a fast , hundreds of miles away ! (I actually snagged the smelt in the gill) B)

Nice try Gord and Joe . You guys need an oil change ....getting rusty :rolleyes: ha ha ! I can give you a few tips , free :blush: I went out on the ice yesterday ....no stripe on me baby .......got me a nice 6" smelt !! It seems when the fish leave the table , they all go on a fast , hundreds of miles away ! (I actually snagged the smelt in the gill) B)

Ha Ha dont forgot my dink sunfish Bill and yeah guys youll get em next time

Archived