easter weekend report

tmate

well h the time off school and the beautiful weather his easter weekend consisted of a whole lot of fishing

spent a couple days fishing the welland river, hit the niagara as lunkers already posted about and fised a few spots around thorold

didnt fair to well in the niagara but managed to get some giant smelts and a couple perch...the next day headed out to gibson with a bucket of minnows in hopes for some perch of crappie but instead landed 3 pike and 2 bass....today seasucker and I made it onto the welland river and he managed to catch 3 pike and i got the big white stripe.....had to break the skunk for the day so went out this evening and caught a couple slabs

phonepics2010new.jpg

phonepics2010062.jpg

phonepics2010064.jpg

phonepics2010065.jpg

phonepics2010new2.jpg

phonepics2010070.jpg

phonepics2010072.jpg

Glad you got some nice fish and had a good weekend, and I realize it's nice to have a picture and record of your catch etc, however, you really shouldn't lay fish on the ground that you intend to release, particularily OOS fish which need to be returned to the water immediately. I know you don't intend to do these fish any harm, however, having them lay and possibly thrash around on the ground/rocks etc, can allow them to hurt themselvs, opening wounds and destroying the protective mucus layer on their skin......this opens them up to the possibility of infection etc when they are returned to the water. And of course the less amount of time spent out of the water, the better for the fish and their long term chances of survival. Don't forget, just fighting these fish and bringing them in and out of the water is great shock to their system to begin with!

This is the kind of info I would like to see in the reg books to help anglers understand how released fish can be harmed and could end up dying later . There are many C&R anglers these days , and they release thousands of fish "to be caught another day" . Those fish need to be handled with care . When netting a fish to be released it's better to keep the fish in the net to unhook it than let it flop on cement or dry sand etc. The new rubber nets help keep the scales & slime intact and can be used to ease fish like trout & pike back into the water .

I guess people should also stop using barbed hooks too and purchase proper nets.

Barbless is recommended for C&R fishing. In fact, if you fish anywhere that is C&R only, law requires barbless in most cases.

This is the kind of info I would like to see in the reg books to help anglers understand how released fish can be harmed and could end up dying later . There are many C&R anglers these days , and they release thousands of fish "to be caught another day" . Those fish need to be handled with care . When netting a fish to be released it's better to keep the fish in the net to unhook it than let it flop on cement or dry sand etc. The new rubber nets help keep the scales & slime intact and can be used to ease fish like trout & pike back into the water .

" Un hooking" mats are very popular in Europe and sometimes required. They are usually made from waterproof/ slime proof material that is safe for the fish. It stops or reduces the chance a fish will be injured on hard surfaces or loose it's slime. The photo below shows a mirror carp in it but it is used for all species. The large landing net is also made of fish friendly nesh that avoids the loss of fish slime and injury due to knotted, nylon nets that can catch on fishes gills and fins. Many carp anglers also use anti bacterial cream on the fishes mouth in the event of a tear or bleeding. I use a mat for all species that I can't easilly un hook like a perch or bass but for large fish I always use a mat.

DSC00464.jpg

Hi Guys. Im curious where in the Welland river to fish. I've launched my kayak at Merit Island but noticed there was an aqua duct at both ends. Does the Welland river run under Prince Charles? If so, is there somewhere I could launch my kayak? I also notice the Welland River in Port Robinson as well. I plan to get out a lot this year and am going to participate in the angler diary program.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jacko

There is nice park at Prince Charles and Colbeck drive on west side of Prince Charles. No parking spaces but never seen any problems parking on the side of the road there. No boat launch but should not be a problem for a kayak. I live around the corner and used to fish there all the time as a kid.

Archived