Hot Hot Hot Lake Ontario trolling!

tilbrook

So even though this report is a day late I can't pass up the opportunity to post some pr0n for you guys!

After some quick messages following this thread, Hacknslash and I met up at Dalhousie around 5am friday morning. Myself armed with bait and boat, hacknslah packin some coffees and donuts, we hit the water with little to no wind and a fairly overcast sky...so far so good.

With some tips and knowledge gained from a few previous attempts on the lake we gunned it out to 200 FOW and setup the riggers and dipsys. To start we picked some dark coloured spoons; purp/black and black/silver ladderbacks, black/silver NKs and a monkey puke just because it's such an awesome colour. Trolled about 2.5mph with baits anywhere from 20' - 75' down....less than 20 minutes later BOOM fish on the rigger set at 30'! Before I could grab the rod the fish was at the surface jumping like a frog in boiling water, maybe 3-4lbs...unfortunately the fish managed to spit the spoon before I could get it in! haha......ah well, less than 30 minutes later we had another massive hit on the same rigger!

This fish definitely did not like having a big metal spoon in it's mouth! Hacknslash grabbed the rod out of the holder and basically just watched as the line counter spun past 100', 200', 300', 400', 500'! I had to chuckle when he asked (with a semi-concerned look on his face) how much line was on the reels, haha!

511 feet of line out the back of the boat!

100_1488Medium.jpg

It stopped around 540' and, unfortunately for Hacknslah, decided to run towards the boat. I say unfortunately because as we all know tight lines catch fish but with a big king running towards the boat the line goes slack fast, very fast, so Hacknslash had to reel like a freakin' madman! Poor guy had some sore arms after that one!

100_1489Medium.jpg

Ended up weighing 14lbs at the dock, man did he fight!

After that we were stoked, two fish (one spit hook) in under an hour is pretty good for me out there so we had some high hopes for a great day. Turns out we were right!

Next fish came less than 30 minutes after the king...a beauty female 'bow...

100_1491Medium.jpg

25 minutes later we caught this big 'bow...

100_1493Medium.jpg

And then within the next 20 minutes we hooked into these two fish:

Think it's a coho...

100_1494Medium.jpg

And another smaller King...

100_1495Medium.jpg

So at this point the numbers are 5 fish in 2.5 hours....obviously egos (well earned) are inflating and half-joking rumblings of limiting out are floating around the boat...

The next 1.5 hours were sloooooooow....after being spoiled with those first 5 fish the riggers and dipsys went silent. We stuck to a game plan of constant change: depths, colours, spoons, flies, cut-bait, leader lengths, pretty much every variable under our control was fair game....finally, and I give hacknslash full credit as he went with the colours his gut was calling for, we picked up this 'bow less than 2 minutes after we put his chosen spoon in the water....

100_1496Medium.jpg

More changes and we pick up another one!

100_1498Medium.jpg

It's just after 10 now and the half-joking talk about limiting out is turning a little more serious, haha, awesome!

Just like before we had another hour of nothing; no hits and nothing on the sonar but we stuck to the plan and kept making changes.

BOOM!

100_1499Medium.jpg

And 30 minutes later, in 100FOW with a rigger set at 95' we picked up another King....

100_1500Medium.jpg

For those keeping score, 9 fish since 6am.....GOTTA HIT THAT LIMIT!

*****coincidentally it looks like there's a limit on the # of pictures in a post on this forum, have to make another post! hah******

*****Cont'd*****

Stuck to 100FOW hoping for that last hit and the lake delivered!

100_1501Medium.jpg

Picked up the last one just after 12 and called it a day...a friggin' awesome day!

100_1502Medium.jpg

Gotta say thanks to Hacknslash for being a great guy to fish with....first time meeting him and the fish had no chance! haha!

I'm not crazy about boats, but looks like I better get over that, and catch up with those two. One or two of those in my freezer would look real fine.

Thanks again Tilly for the troll on Lake O. Was an amazing day..I had a freaking blast!! Anytime you need a partner I'll be there (maybe even if I have to call in sick.. cough cough)

Really nice meeting you and hope your success keeps up!!!

Guest TC1OZ

Damn! I should of just called in sick. Looks like an amazing day!

Thanks for the report, make sure to keep the offers coming, I'd love to pay for gas! B)

Thanks for the congrats guys, had a great time catching them!

awesome report guys, love seeing those chromers, were you seeing a trend on releases on down riggers or dipseys or both. again congrats guys

I'd say it was almost 50/50 riggers and dipsys...the fish seemd to be in the upper 40' when we were at 200FOW, in 100FOW we were marking them right on the bottom but also caught a few at 30'....

Archived