Introducing a young man to fishing

FishyWishy

Here is the situation.

My wife's friend is going through a divorce and has 3 boys age 5? to 12?

A few weeks ago my family (me, wife and 2 kids and my daughters friend), another family (husband wife and 1 kid) and this divorced guy and his 3 sons went camping at Santa's Village in Bracebridge.

One of the evenings we were there, 2 of us took the kids fishing from a public dock in the Muskoka River. For the divorced guy's kids it was there first time. His oldest boy (11 or 12) took right to fishing using my good spinning set-up with a jig and pink twister tail. He was the only one who managed to catch anything (3 small rock bass). And he was stoked! Very excited and could be hooked for life. My wife framed a picture of him with his first fish ever and included the jig he used B)

Situation is that his father isn't into fishing, and woudn't take him. :dunno:

I would like to take the boy out somewhere in Niagara Falls. I am trying to round up some basic stuff for him including a used rod and reel, and some basic tackle (any donations are welcome :) ) I think that fishing could be a good release for a kid that will be going through a rough period with his parents' situation, and I would like to show him a spot or two he could ride his bike to...to get away. This would be a much healthier activity for him to turn to than the other things that might start at his young age.

This is where I need some help, and or opinions. Where could I show him that he could have luck and be able to get to on his own (and is safe)? Firemans park pond is one but is there anything in there anymore? Upper River? Chippawa? Any ideas? :dunno:

I am hoping to have some basic tackle put together for him in the next 2 weeks and will likely invite him out somewhere in about 2 weeks...After I get home from a vacation up the other side of Timmins.

Thanks for your help fellas :Gonefishing: . And feel free to PM me.

FW

There is plenty in Fireman's Park....I found corn works awesome for anything in there. Beaverdams by the tubes is usually a good bet but I've found it to be unproductive this year.

Firemans park still has ALOT of carp and catfish

over populated with sunfish!

Low amount of bass

Beverdams is still the best bet but lately those damn Gobi's are killing any live baits used!!

See if you can hook up once with the smerch or bigugli and other regulars from the board and they can not only show you a good starting point but drive home some important ethics that should be a must for newbies.

Is Lyon's Creek too far away? Dufferin Islands is another good spot. All these spots require some street smarts however. I would agree that getting away to nature by ones self is a good antidote for social ailments.

I've got a used reel to donate to riverfisher22's rod. It's not much, but it's a spinner. I'll even line it with some 10# mono (My personal favourite all purpose line). I might be able to put together a small tackle kit too. Nothing too major, just some hooks, weights, and jigs. But it'll be the important stuff to start.

PM if you're interested.

Wow guys, Thanks for the replies and offers of rods & reels. And by the reaction he had when I gave him a 25 cent jig head and twister tail, he will flip at recieving even a beat up old rod & reel. I have also asked my Mom (up in Northern Ontario) to see what old stuff is laying around her place that none of us use anymore.

I'm not really sure what is too far for this kid. Like I said he lives in the Falls (close to downtown), and a spot he could ride his bike to would be ideal. Firemans park seems like the ticket.

While I fully agree that hooking up with Smerch or Big Ugli would be a great lesson for the kid, however it seems they mostly hit St. Catharines waterways. Likely too far for the kid, and since I have limited time (heck I'm still trying to get myself and my daughters out) I would like to make sure that while I teach him (and yes I will make sure he learns ethics while I'm with him...he is already very concerned about litter/pollution etc) I also show him a spot or 2 that he can get to alone, so he doesn't have to wait to be invited by myself or someone with wheels. Like I said it is about him getting away...when he needs to or wants to.

Riverfisher22, I will be coming thru Hamilton in a couple of weeks. What type of rod /reel do you have? Spinning? Spin cast?

FW

Wow guys, Thanks for the replies and offers of rods & reels. And by the reaction he had when I gave him a 25 cent jig head and twister tail, he will flip at recieving even a beat up old rod & reel. I have also asked my Mom (up in Northern Ontario) to see what old stuff is laying around her place that none of us use anymore.

I'm not really sure what is too far for this kid. Like I said he lives in the Falls (close to downtown), and a spot he could ride his bike to would be ideal. Firemans park seems like the ticket.

While I fully agree that hooking up with Smerch or Big Ugli would be a great lesson for the kid, however it seems they mostly hit St. Catharines waterways. Likely too far for the kid, and since I have limited time (heck I'm still trying to get myself and my daughters out) I would like to make sure that while I teach him (and yes I will make sure he learns ethics while I'm with him...he is already very concerned about litter/pollution etc) I also show him a spot or 2 that he can get to alone, so he doesn't have to wait to be invited by myself or someone with wheels. Like I said it is about him getting away...when he needs to or wants to.

Riverfisher22, I will be coming thru Hamilton in a couple of weeks. What type of rod /reel do you have? Spinning? Spin cast?

FW

You just never know where I will show up. Time is tight for me at times, but there are some neat spots not too far from Niagara Falls.

a great spot to take a kid fishing is Marlatts Road on Lake Gibson. you could get into anything from Bluegill, to Carp, to Bass and who knows what else. with a simple worm and hook, anything is possible. :)

Fellas thanks once again for all of the replies. I like it when a community can come together like this.

I am going to see what stuff is unused at my Mom's place, while I am up North on vacation next week, and see what I have to pull together, and I will contact anyone and everyone who has offered a donation of their used equipment when I return. Obviously (and not to offend anyone who has offered their stuff) I will chose the best of the donated stuff to give to Aaron. Anything left over I will donate to the NF library as I believe they have a tackle sharing program, so rest assured it will go to good use.

Thanks Again!

FW

Firemens park is a pretty good spot. You get loads of carp, cat fish and sunfish out of there. I have caught a few Bass out of there already. There is usually one or two people down there that are fishing so I feel safe down there most of the time lol. I normally dont go alone tho, but thats because I dont like fishing alone. I need someone to explode to when I have a fish spit a hook. Like that 4-5lb bass I hooked onto at Gibson (which is another good spot), and when I pulled it up to grab his yap, he spit the hook, so now I have a vendetta with this fish.

Let me have a look through my tackle box I may have some stuff in there collecting dust he can have. I know what hes going through, been there done that and fishing is a great outlet.

Edit- I notice I have an extra tackle box, brand new. Bought it, used it and them bought a bigger one LOL. So its empty if he would like it. I can grab a picture of it if ya want.

I managed to look through my new tackle box. I have a handful of stuff he can have with the tackle box or by itself if he wants. Im uploading pics now because I have no idea what half the stuff it. I know theres a spinner, some rubber grubs and steel leader, bobbers etc etc.

Here are pics of what he can take from me.

lures.jpg

tacklebox2.jpg

tacklebox.jpg

They are either doubles or things I dont use and have just been staring at me. Sometimes I buy packs of grubs that come with like 20 in them lol. I only need a handful. I also have some tiny boxes here than may be better to ride a bike with than a big tackle box. They are like the ones you can buy at walmart..the Bass kits etc etc. I took lures out and put them in my big box and left the small ones sitting around. He can take them instead if its easier. Or all lol. Pm me through the forum and I can give you my contact number if he would like them. I live near walmart in the Falls.

Heres, these are the mini boxes I am talking about, may be good if hes riding a bike he can stuff em in his back pack? They places beside my working partner so you can see the size of them. Not to small, not to big

linktacklebox.jpg

Okay, Here I threw together one for him. He can take the other box that is just a tad smaller than this one if he gets more lures from someone else. I do prefer he uses them tho rather than them going to the NF library for tackle share etc. If he doesnt want them I could find use for them or give them to my sister. But I decided to offer them to this kid first. Let me know if you want them.

minitacklekit.jpg

Archived