Fished the 12 today

Helron

Before I post my fishing report I would like to apologize to Chilli and the board for my previous post, not until my post was pulled did I remember the rules about posting only fishing related subjects. Son and I went down to the 12 twelve today for a few hours, and thanx to Rockfish and the Smerch for thier tips I caught my PB Carp. I think it would have ranged in about the 8 pound range, would'nt you know it the son got the camera out of my tackle box only to have dead batteries! Oh well it was nice feeling a fish at the end of my line after way too many skunks down in Port!

Way to go Ron , I missed out on the very low water levels a few days ago .... I would have been looking for pike . Was the water a full flow today ? I keep my camera on a shoulder strap under my coat to keep the batteries warm . A cold battery seems to lose its power when cold & sometimes if you remove them & warm them up in a pocket etc. you can take more pictures . I also run AA 's in my camera & carry a pr. of spares . I hope that carp got your adrenalin going !!B)

No the water was very low, I also keep the extra batteries with me at all times, could have been the cold. Tried the camera at home with new batteries and it worked fine. But I have noticed the quality of batteries these days is not very good, I even sent an e-mail to Duracell about this and they sent me a coupon for 8 double AA's. I think since they are all being made oversea's these days by the time they get shipped here the life is cut in half! And yeah the Carp was a rush as he decided to go on a long run, and we also forgot the net so the son landed him with his bare hands, with one foot in the water it was really quite funny!

Ha ha , I had a hard time trying to beach that carp I got at the 12 ,then try to get a shot of it ! I took a few tries to get the thing to keep still to get a shot & then it kicked water in my puss when I let it go . If you use AA or AAA batteries , the Energizer rechargeables ones last for many shots for each charge. I look for the ones made in Japan ,not China .

Good on you for getting out. persistence pays off.

As for the batteries, I use Panasonic rechargeables. They last 8-10 weeks per charge with regular use. They only start getting finicky when they get left out in below0 conditions.

Smerch:

Drove over the St. Paul West bridge today with Garrrrrr. Had intentions of fishing the 12 for pike on the fly... looks to be a full flow... if not it's close.

Alex

Thanks Alex . Today has been a real blustery Nov. day , not too nice for tossing flies unless you have a 2 0z. weight . :lol: . I dragged out the old snow blower & tuned it up ( found out I was running on only one set of tines last winter , broken shear bolt) :wall: Check out the 12 next Sunday morn ......the water might be down . I can drive to the Glendale bridge in about 4 min . , so I will have a look , weather permitting .

Gee Smerch.... i know the snow is coming and tuning up the snowblower is necessary but it still doesn't make me less depressed LOL :P . Casting today wasn't bad at all... the key of course is casting so the fly is on the downwind side of you. Safety first. I managed four rockets today.

Hey a head sup on the 12 would be nice. Four minutes away that's like my bird's eye view of the upper at the brink.

Alex

if all yous guys hitting up the 12 shoot me a PM Ill join ya, mights be hitting up the whirlpool this week, good job on the carp there Ron.

I'm not trying to rush the ice season , but a snow storm can happen anytime . The water has a long way to go before we see ice , so I'll keep the long rods going as long as I can (ahem...trout derby Sun.Dec5 th at Port)

:Gonefishing: . But... When the snow flies & the water turns to ice , I want it to stay cold until Feb.28, then ,

begin the spring fishing season . We have the best of both worlds right here in Niagara , with both ice & open water fishing during the winter :)

Although I love ice fishing I am already looking forward to the May 24 weekend as my chums from up in Massey are resurecting our annual fishing weekend. We did this for years and well you know things happen, we go out into the bush setup a large plastc tent fish from morning till dark and later :Gonefishing: Funny thing is no beer just some strong black coffee and a lot of really good fun , can't wait. PS Don't get me wrong I really enjoy a cold one, just no beer means lees stuff to haul into the bush!

Archived