Rameys bend.

minnow killer

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on ice conditions?

I drove to the end of Kingsway St. in Dain city and broke out the binoculars to check Ramey's Bend(Truck chugs gas so I checked this way), I didn't see anyone out there at all this afternoon at around 3pm. There's some open water out past the Green Marker Buoy. If there's no one out there at all, I'd guess it's not quite ready yet, a quick call to Erie Tracker would probably tell you with more accuracy. I'd guess maybe by the weekend/end of the weekend. If it's good sooner and I know I'll post it.

there was a guy out there monday. said there was 3.5 inches and he was only 8 feet from shore. i wouldn't trust that place for another week. there was open water only about half was across a week ago.

I went out today, ice is 5-6" up to the training lifeboats, I wouldn't go out past them yet. The smelt fishing was slow going as the ones that are in are hugging the bottom for the most part.

I hit up Rameys last night, Ice is still kinda sketchy. There is 4-6" in some spots but as mentioned the ice thins out fast past the life boat lifts. I fished directly infront of the lift in the middle and there was only 2" black ice with about 4" of white sloppy ice kinda stuff on top. Beware its still a mess out there. Smelt were running about 2-3 feet down.

After this rain and warm day we are having I won't be going back till the weekend to let it set up again.

Checked it out today. There is plenty of ice up to the culvert and then it gets sketchy. There was water on top of the ice along the edges in some spots past the culvert and on the opposite side from the parking area. There was no bite there today at all. I tried fishing from the culvert and working my way back up into the bay, fishing each hole from the bottom all the wayt to the top without even a bite. I was there for about 2 hours before finally giving up.

after reading the posts fishingaddict and i decided to give it a shot tonight..

there were a few groups of people out there and not many fish being caught at all

the fish that we caught were hauled up from the bottom...plenty of ice though

I was down there sunday afternoon. froze my nads off for 7 smelt. i had to fish by site, lying on my belly and lookin down the hole to watch the little buggers bite the hook, then haul them up. I did see a few big smelts and some perch swimmin around. Think i might hit it up this afternoon.

I have never been to Rameys bend, maybe some day i'll go for some smelts, thanks for all the info guys and keep it, this in my mind is what the sites for, sharing helpful information, and making new friends.

The smelt are there, they jsut tend to be in very small groups and at various depths. They are bigger than last year but the numbers are way way down. I used to be able to catch 500 in a few hours but lately i have been putting in 4-5 hours to get 50 to 75. Weird year for them thats for sure.

well for me really, I need is like 50-75 since its mainly for personal use and when I freeze fish I tend to forget about them in the freezer.

I was at Ramey's yesterday and the ice is fine. Must have been at least 6 inches. Between my father and I we probably caught about 50-75 fish. The average size is a bit bigger this year then when I was out last year. Not much though.

The bite was still very slow but I found a good method.

Drop a colorful jig to the bottom then slowley bring it back up then take it out when you see it getting some hits. Then take your small hook with maggot, waxworm, yarn or whatever you prefer and drop it in immediately.

This worked for me to pull 3-5 fish out on average then I would have to do the whole process over again.

Hope this helps, have fun.

Archived