Weather And Fish

fuillihc

Why do fish suddenly develop lockjaw from wind and barometric changes? I’ve noticed this in large bodies of water and in the fishpond on my property. Last week the kids were catching fish in the pond with almost every cast (mostly largemouth and other pan fish). With the cold weather and north wind these past few days the kids can’t catch a thing. You can literally bounce a lure or a worm off their heads and they show no interest. The water is still bathtub warm so it must be something else that causes them to shutdown.

Also I noticed that largemouth form large schools starting in the fall while during the summer they usually stick to themselves. Any idea why?

Fish also get migraines from low pressure and do not feel like eating .....or mating ! <_< That's the best I can come up with ........:dunno:

:roflblack:

It is the water temperature dropping that turns them off. Fish like things stable. They are cold blooded so as the water temp drops so does their body temp. This cold snap always happens around now anywhere from mid August to mid Sept. and the fishing always slows down. Once things stabilize the fish will be on the feed again.

It's the north wind that gives them lockjaw.

Low pressure, especially just before it arrives is the best time to fish.

It's also the most unpleasant and risky time to fish.

Guest live2fish85

I'm going to have to agree with Hammercarp. I have never found the North winds to affect the fishing. If anything winds from the east will slow things down. As for nasty it all depends on the lake your on. But for the most part the storms coming from the west are usually the worst.

Wind from the West, fish bite the best. Wind from the East, fish bite the least. Wind from the North, do not go forth. Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth.

Archived